Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my transfer chain on my 79' Wagoneer is stretched and slipping. I get some "bang bang" noise under hard acceleration from a standing stop. Have any of you replaced a chain on a Quadra-Trac?

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I never have. Does the quadra-trac have a transfer case? That has been my experience as to where it is at and if it needs replacement, more than likely the entire transfer case needs a going over. I don't know much about them. Yours may totally different. Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the Jeep Mow.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does have a transfer case, Chief. I've been told the stretching chain is a common problem, but have not talked to anyone who has replaced one. I just replaced a cracked ring gear (or flex flywheel as some people call it) on the engine. It is a 360 with 401 heads. Runs great when it runs.

The Jeep is not a daily driver, just something to haul my 2210. Now that I have a more permanent residence for my Deere (a 30 x 45' pole barn on my acreage) it mainly stays out at the farm.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's usually a succession of pops or bangs, and sounds more toward the rear than front. I'm going to do some research on the noise, and also see it there is a way to check the play in the chain.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Do you have two u joints in a cv joint on the front drive shaftat the transfer case end? My old K5 blazer used to do the same and no one could find the noise. Drove it until the shaft fell off and that's how I found out what it was.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by sixchows
Do you have two u joints in a cv joint on the front drive shaftat the transfer case end? My old K5 blazer used to do the same and no one could find the noise. Drove it until the shaft fell off and that's how I found out what it was.
Not sure. I'll have to look at it again. I'm anxious to to get it fixed. I hate to find out the hard way. Usually when something fails completely, your looking at a more complicated and expensive fix.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
We had trouble with the clutches hanging up in the transfer case a couple of times. But that was when turning corners. Would make a heck of a sound and vibration. Our mechanic changed out the fluid then took us out to a grassy area where we drove figure eights in forward and reverse for ten minutes. Being fultime four wheel drive it seemed to eat u-joints. The ones next to the front wheels in particular. It spent 90% of it's time on blacktop city streets which of course did not help.

Mark

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess that's the price you pay for full-time (really a limited slip) 4 wheel drive system.

I sure like the old Jeep, though. Great for pulling, off roading, fishing and hunting type stuff. It has low restriction Thrustmasters on it, and has good power. Geared pretty low though. You get on the highway and wonder where the OD is. :D

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by MowHoward2210
Geared pretty low though. You get on the highway and wonder where the OD is. :D
Yea the older cars seem to wind up after driving the new ones. No over-drive and locking torque converters. As I recall 45-50 mph was top end in passing gear on it. The thing would nearly climb a wall when you put it in low range at an idle. Dad bought it originally then I ended up with it. Hated to get rid of it, it was only 9 years old at the time (79 model) with 80K miles but it just kept nickel and dimeing us with mechanical problems as well as being eaten alive by rust. The floor under the backseat, and wheel wells had rotted away and the tailgate had been replaced. Man what a heavy tailgate.:D
Ahh memories of the good ole days. :lmao:

Mark

·
Registered
31 Posts
I guess that's the price you pay for full-time (really a limited slip) 4 wheel drive system.

I sure like the old Jeep, though. Great for pulling, off roading, fishing and hunting type stuff. It has low restriction Thrustmasters on it, and has good power. Geared pretty low though. You get on the highway and wonder where the OD is. :D
:fineprintyou can get a conversion kit to make part time four wheel drive do a way with the chain ,with gears!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts