Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This applies to both the BIG tractors and the LT/GTs --- How does everyone keep their units clean? I was thinking about blowing them out with my leaf blower and then using the ole PW on low setting (what color tip to use?) and any other helpful hints? Things to cover? (like electrical, coil, distro, etc?)

Thanks for the info. PS - I dont want to scratch or scrap paint just the dirt, mud etc. :D
Andy

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
i blow mine off after each use (leaf blower) including the motor and deck...

i hand wash instead of pressure wash... but i will pressure wash the bottom of the deck...

Then of course.. after each use i put 3 coats of wax on...:furious:

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
l take it to the local car wash lol will some times l'm with john on this one most times by hand

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by simple_john
i always assumed a pressure washer would/could hurt to the belts/grease bearings etc...
I don't think it does any harm to the belts or bearings. It may wash some of the grease out of a bearing or bushing that is greasable. Then it's just a matter of replacing the grease. If not careful it (water) could damage some electronic components if they are directly hit with the high pressure, but indirect splashing of an electrical component is no different than it getting rained on.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I take my blower and blow it off every time i mow and every once in a while i wash it but it just a mist and i dry it off. Now when i took the deck off i wash it with hot water and clean it good. Its nice to have a hot water facet on the outside of your house.
Jody

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I have been pressure washing all my equipment since there was pressure washers, either at home or at the car wash. Use common sense, and you wil be ok. Keep the nozzle away sufficiently so you do not eat the paint up, and do not directly spray it at shafts where they enter or come out of a housing, electrical components etc. I do not pay any attention to the color nozzles, I just hold the wand a safe distance and go for it. Do not wash by hand or with hose ort Pw if the motor is still hot, so allow it to cool. NOrmally I will PW the machine, and then allow most of the water to drip or run off, crank it up and allow motor to warm up so it dries out any water that may have gotten in it, and then I usually re-lube the deck etc.

Never yet had any pressure washer or water problems. I do not blow off the machine except the outside surface with a leaf blower from time to time. I don't wash it every time I use it, and the last my GX 335 was washed was last September. It gets used most everyday for something and right now is pretty darn filthy, but its well lubed.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I use compressed air to clean the dust off after each use and about every 4 or 5 uses, I pressure wash it with the pressure turned down. I take it easy around the switches and electrical stuff. I also check the battery compartment in front of the radiator after each use and wash it down to keep the corrosion from battery vent gases from getting started.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts