Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes wen i look at my allis tractor books n other books set n thnk how cool it would be to go bak in time wen some these tractors were built i m 30 years old born in 1973 my dad tells me i shld bin born years ago cause how much i like old equipmnt n tractors n things lol :ufo: :driving: :driving:

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I've thought that too. I would like to visit the past but I don't think I would want to stay do to the realities of the time. We take an occasional day trip to the Amish community in in northern Ohio. They have a hardware with a lot of non-electric goods and antiques on display. It's like traveling back in time for a day. Here's a link to their webpage

Lehman's Hardware

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by Big Allis
Sometimes wen i look at my allis tractor books n other books set n thnk how cool it would be to go bak in time wen some these tractors were built i m 30 years old born in 1973 my dad tells me i shld bin born years ago cause how much i like old equipmnt n tractors n things lol :ufo: :driving: :driving:
I am with you on that one. Wile I have a few years on you, I realy enjoy the old stuff better. May be becouse my step Dad was a lot older, and grew up in the time of the flat head motors. Also My auto shop teacher was also a old school tech. Spent a lot of my youth tearing apart old flat head V8's, and pokeing around under the hoods of cars from the 50's, and 60's. Most guys my age have never worked on a engine with points.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my dad grew up wth the equipment i like wen it was new lol my grand father was in the excavating business n had wat we call now antiques lol my grandpop was also a mechanic an dad was a ford tractor mechanic for dealership in the early 60s i learn alot from him bout thngs n guess thts better than goin bakl in time learnin from pple tht were there is neat too but my case i cant remember thngs lots time guess i got tape thngs lol:driving: :driving: :driving:

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by Big Allis
Wouldn't it be great standing out in the middle of a field somewhere and transport yourself back 100 years just to see first hand how they did stuff back then?

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
memmurphy, there was some pretty cool stuff in the hardware store link you posted! Thanks for posting that. I had no idea you could still buy wood cook stoves. I remember stoking up the fire in the cook stove at my grandmother's house as a child. It also provided a good bit of heat for the house as well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Re: Re: Tractor time travel !!

Originally posted by Argee
Wouldn't it be great standing out in the middle of a field somewhere and transport yourself back 100 years just to see first hand how they did stuff back then?
You guys can go back there if you like, but I pass!! I was raised with that stuff and you couldn't tell our farm from the Amish ones, except for the J.D. GP tractor on steel to help the horses and mules. It was only used for plowing and disking. Hay was made loose, corn was picked by hand, small grains were threshed, and all dozen or so cows were milked by hand. When Pop bought the new J.D. A in 1947, I thought I died and went to Heaven. Imagine! Cultivating the corn two rows at a time...what a time saver! I left home in 1952... not a moment too soon.

Nope. You can go back without me, and it won't have to be 100 years. Oh, I was the only son.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I'm with you George! I miss the way things were in the world back then, but I don't miss the working conditions and long days. I do miss not worrying about everything though. The past is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
That's what's so great about antique tractors. You can visit the past.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
George,
You missed something. I sad I would like to go back 100 years to see(observe) first hand how they did things. No where did I mention I wanted to experience the hard work, because I too have done my share.:smiles:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I don't miss a whole lot of riding behing my daddy's Allis Chalmbers B tractor riding on not much better than bed springs spreading the cow paddies. It was a cool tractor but I like my ehydro 4410 John Deere better:clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Tractor time travel !!

Originally posted by gwill
You guys can go back there if you like, but I pass!! I was raised with that stuff and you couldn't tell our farm from the Amish ones, except for the J.D. GP tractor on steel to help the horses and mules. It was only used for plowing and disking. Hay was made loose, corn was picked by hand, small grains were threshed, and all dozen or so cows were milked by hand. When Pop bought the new J.D. A in 1947, I thought I died and went to Heaven. Imagine! Cultivating the corn two rows at a time...what a time saver! I left home in 1952... not a moment too soon.

Nope. You can go back without me, and it won't have to be 100 years. Oh, I was the only son.
Well, in no way would I want to LIVE in that time, but it seems the hard work did people good. Seems like every generation we do less, and less real work. It's kinda sad realy, becouse I bet a lot of you will agree with me, but nothing clears the mind like going out side and putting in a full day of real work. A good stress buster also. Maybe thats what the world needs. Every few months send everyone out to cut, bail, load, and put in the barn, a full days worth of hay.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
I would miss

Indoor plumbing the most I think.My Dad bought the family farm in 1945 when He came home with his new war bride and my older Brother. Two more children later and 13 years we got our first indoor toilet. It was in a closet under the stairway and I was about 8 years old.Can still remember that we marvalled at the fact that we could do our business without a trip to the outhouse.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by Chief
I don't miss a whole lot of riding behing my daddy's Allis Chalmbers B tractor riding on not much better than bed springs spreading the cow paddies. It was a cool tractor but I like my ehydro 4410 John Deere better:clap: :clap: :clap:
Well if you were driving the tractor rather than riding behind it you'd have a whole different experience.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i was running Cat 941B crawler loader loading trucks when i was bout tht age made the dump drivers look in awe lollol or might bin in fright id hit there truk i thght it was neat lol lol:peace: :thumbsup: :driving: :driving:

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts

Dad had me loading trucks with shale at that age with 420 JD crawler

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
First time I drove a tractor was at about 5 or 6, picking rock. Firts gear, low range, at an idle, but I figured I was king of the world about then!!! For me the best place to be is at the wheel of a tractor!!!

As for going back, not me thanks! My grandfather loved horses, but when he got his first tractor it wasn't long before the horses were gone. I like the old farmalls, but to play with not for work!! Todays tractors are as big a step over the 40's era tractors as they were over a horse!! I like my "syncro-mesh" transmission and diesels that will start at -15 without being plugged in, no ether, no glow plugs, and you don't have to yell to hear yourself think!!

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
9 years old driving a tractor? Wow --- my daughter is going to be 8 in couple weeks and I cannot imagine letting her (or if she was a boy) get anywhere near a tractor. Call it modern over-protection but I call it using your noggin. The kids today maybe aren't as dispensible as they were back in the day when you had large families and plenty of work to do. <grin> ---- ;-) --

Dunno, 9 years is not safe --- unless you have to work to survive or something I guess.

Andy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts