Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
This is Joel Holliman. Yesterday my 2016 New Holland WorkMaster 50 went dead. I made sure everything was set as it should be to crank it (gears set to neutral, person in the seat, the power take off disengaged, and the spring on the clutch peddle attached). No go, I then noticed that the display showed a standing man and a seat. So, l figured that something has happened to the seat kill switch to think that there is no one in the seat. The kill switch appears to be contained in an enclosure behind the seat. The seat will not flip up. The seat is attached to a under structure that rides up and down within this rear seat cabinet. I can see a wire conduit coming out the top of the cabinet. I can turn a screw but electric problems I need help on.. I have not attempted to take the cabinet apart because I'm not sure what I might get into. I would really appreciate your advice and direction on how to trouble shoot, repair, rest this switch/problem.. Thank You in advance. Joel

·
Administrator
11,088 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I don't understand the cabinet part, do you have a cab?
Can you slide the seat forward enough to see of feel for the seat switch? It may have just pushed down through it's mounting hole.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Howdy Joel,

The Workmaster 50 will have one of two different seats. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the list and click on section 90. Then click on 90.120. AD(01) operator seat. There are two seats. Check out both of them.

The seat switch is item #4 on both diagrams. This will give you an idea of where the seat switch is for each type of seat. If you can spot the wires, follow them to the seat switch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum. I don't understand the cabinet park, do you have a cab?
Can you slide the seat forward enough to see of feel for the seat switch? It may have just pushed down through it's mounting hole.
Thank you for your reply. Sorry for the slow response. Dr appointments. Will try that. Thanks. I'll get back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Howdy Joel,

The Workmaster 50 will have one of two different seats. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the list and click on section 90. Then click on 90.120. AD(01) operator seat. There are two seats. Check out both of them.

The seat switch is item #4 on both diagrams. This will give you an idea of where the seat switch is for each type of seat. If you can spot the wires, follow them to the seat switch.

Howdy Joel,

Thank you for your reply, Sorry for the slow response. Dr. appointments. Will check this out now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your reply, Sorry for the slow response. Dr. appointments. Will check this out now. Thanks again.
Howdy Joel,

Thank you for the schematics. it looks like the switch is the one that bolts inside the metal cover next to the suspension knob adjustment. i say this because there are wires coming out of the enclosure just to the right of the suspension knob.. I'm going to double check to make sure the switch is not under the seat as the first diagram shows.. Is there a step-by-step procedure i could access to give me better knowhow before i dive in? Thank you for your help I appreciate it. Joel

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Why I always have a metal paperclip handy. If it fails, jumper it with a paperclip until you can get a new one or don't bother at all. I find those 'safety switches' to be a PITA.

My new Kioti came with 2 jumper plugs courtesy of my local dealer........He said that he has them made up and puts them in the plastic bag with all of the manuals and paperwork with every new Kioti tractor he sells.......

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have mixed feelings about the seat switch.....With the hills and hollers that we have at home I am not so sure that it is a bad thing.....I have even left mine intact on my riding mower for this reason.....If someone comes out of the seat, I want the motor to stop.....

·
Registered
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910, Ford 555A, JD2210
531 Posts
Not an issue on either of my M's. There is no OP switch on either seat as they are designed to run the PTO with no one aboard
My 9540 will crank without me in the seat. It does have a seat switch. Only activates if you exit the seat with the PTO on. It sounds a high pitched siren alarm for about 10 seconds then continues operation as normal. I guess it's just to remind you as you are getting off the tractor that the PTO is still on. Being open station, there's little doubt in my mind about that. :)

Reactions: SidecarFlip

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have mixed feelings about the seat switch.....With the hills and hollers that we have at home I am not so sure that it is a bad thing.....I have even left mine intact on my riding mower for this reason.....If someone comes out of the seat, I want the motor to stop.....
I disabled the seat switch on my little JD. I left the switch intact on the HST pedals and range selector in neutral for starting. My only concern is I can get off the tractor with the MMM running. I just trained myself to not do that. But it's a danger if someone else was running it.

Reactions: unsquidly

·
Registered
531 Posts
Just about every thread on here gets "hijacked" and goes a different direction.......That is what makes this place so much fun and keeps it interesting.........LOL
I don't see a hijack, we are still talking about seat safety switches. Well,,,, and seatbelts..... :rolleyes: :sneaky:

Reactions: unsquidly

·
Registered
531 Posts
Since no one has mentioned it, I'll offer this.

Every seat safety switch I've ever messed with is a "connector" switch. When activated it makes connection between the two wires. And in my experience, it's always been a ground connection. So no live wire under the seat. Easy to disable by unplugging the two prong connector at the switch and make a jumper. A simple short piece of electric fence wire or something similar bent into a U. Plug the jumper into the wire connector you unplugged from the switch. Secure the loose connector so it can't fall into the seat slide mechanism or anything else nearby.

·
Banned
3,188 Posts
My 9540 will crank without me in the seat. It does have a seat switch. Only activates if you exit the seat with the PTO on. It sounds a high pitched siren alarm for about 10 seconds then continues operation as normal. I guess it's just to remind you as you are getting off the tractor that the PTO is still on. Being open station, there's little doubt in my mind about that. :)
My M's do the same. I use them to drive the grain leg so I cannot be in the seat. Pretty typical for an ag tractor.

·
Registered
NH Workmaster 50(new to me) 2019 year, IH 464 Diesel, 1976 year model.
21 Posts
Since no one has mentioned it, I'll offer this.

Every seat safety switch I've ever messed with is a "connector" switch. When activated it makes connection between the two wires. And in my experience, it's always been a ground connection. So no live wire under the seat. Easy to disable by unplugging the two prong connector at the switch and make a jumper. A simple short piece of electric fence wire or something similar bent into a U. Plug the jumper into the wire connector you unplugged from the switch. Secure the loose connector so it can't fall into the seat slide mechanism or anything else nearby.
About to do this on my WM50 myself. That beeping aggravates me. Also, I am no fool for spinning objects, I do not wander into pto shafts or spinning or chopping items. I'm just wondering are they putting all these "safety" things in to keep the weed smokers from killing themselves while operating the equipment 🤷‍♂️.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts