Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering going to school to change my occupation. Currently I am in the telecommunications and technologies field. This field has been very good to me and my family but is not "satisfying" if you can relate.

I would love, always have, to practice law. I just never wanted to commit to school. I am considering starting college slowly, 1 step (class) at a time. I know it will take a while to get through school that way but I am unsure if I am capable of making the commitment.

Any thoughts? I have checked several schools that offer off campus (read online) classes. I have a great deal of time to burn during the day, so that would be excellent. Would there be any down side to achieving an A.A. or B.A. degree from one of these institutions granted them being accredited?

Any information would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
I'm not a lawyer, but had to use a few in recent years and discovered that lawyers specialize like doctors. There are criminal lawyers, civil lawyers, those that practice family law (divorce and custody cases), immigration law, corporate law, real estate law, injury law, etc. If you know now which interests you, you might be able to save class time. I'd also check into what kind of credit you can get for any college classes you took back in the day. I'd also check into CLEP testing in your area. The CLEP test is a college level equavalency test that will allow you to take the test and if you pass, skip that class (and it's time and financial requirements) and go to the next one. I'd be VERY careful about on-line colleges as several have been exposed as nothing more than diploma mills that will give you a degree worth nothing and keep your money. With law being the complex subject it is, I'd think you would get a better result by interacting with fellow students in a classroom environment.

Here is a link to the CLEP test folks:
http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/about.html

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
I'm Not a lawyer... But I did stay in a holiday Inn last night!!!
:furious:

sorry never mind... stupid commercial...

PSR: heres a link that has free legal advise and 'ask a lawyer a question' may be helpful...

free legal

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
For what it is worth, Gerry Spence, one of the greatest lawyers in this country did not go to Yale or Harvard, but the University of Wyoming. Certain schools may look good on paper, but it is the person's ability that makes a good lawyer. I also HIGHLY recommend reading "The Defence Never Rests" by F. Lee Bailey. It is required reading in most law schools and will give you an idea of what a lawyer's life is like. It's also one heck of a good book!

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
psrumors,

I don't have any advice specifically on getting a law degree...but I would like to say you are to be highly commended for continuing your education. You are also to be commended on making such a complete change in careers for yourself and your family. It's a big jump and I'm sure others here, who have done it, or wish they had, will also give you encouragement. Best of luck to you and keep us informed.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
psrumors,

You can count on encouragement from me that's a given!!

I might suggest in your situation... my recommendation would be your local community college and see if you can get into a Paralegal program (2 Year) that would allow you to rub elbows so to speak, working for a JD or at your court house!! Often leads to a BA and from there you can add the other 2 to 3 years for Your JD degree!

Have I confused you yet? Hope not and the best of luck!!!!

Dean

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the thoughts people. Let me clarify one thing. When I said an classes online I meant a college that was accredited and offered online courses.

I agree that there will be class time but for the core classes such as math, english, social sciences etc I just dont see "going to class". And I am checking into CLEP, thanks.

If I could get the core classes out of the way and then either attend the college that has online courses or transfer to a college right up the road to finish off my AA and BA, that should work wouldn't you think?

Either way I must continue with my present job in order to support my family. I figure I can take this slowly. I am 32 and would like to "retire" in to law by 45. That's 13 years and my 2 youngest children would be starting their 1st year of college at that time.

Again, thanks to all for the input.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
id check to see if the college you plan to attend will accept and transfer the college credits.. if they would that would be a great plan to restart & get into school....
good luck

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm on my fourth career, and i can heartily recommend change. The financial side is not always the best, since you start at the bottom, 20 years behind the rest of the crew, but if you enjoy something, go for it.

But,.... I would think seriously about where you will practise and what kind of work you will do. Normally, it is best to do your law, or any professional school where most of the practitioners in your city or state did theirs. The old boys club means that they will likely hire and refer work only to people who went where they did. Plus you will know all the gang in your graduating class.

Someday that means the judge you're in front of was in your class!

I would suggest you talk to the local or state bar association about which schools local lawyers come from and if they can give you a nod or wink to which one would be best for someone planning to practise xxxxxxxxxxx law in yourcity, yourstate. xxxxxxxx means real estate, or criminal, or tax, or whatever type you are interested in.

Then talk to the school about what kind of marks you will need to get in, and if you had a BA from (enter name of online school) what kind of marks would you need to get in? If the numbers are the same, or if you think you will do enough better to make it work, go for it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts