Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When starting a PTO driven implement such as my 5' RFM I have the tractor at idle when I engage the PTO. Once the implement is moving I bring the engine up to PTO RPM.

When I disengage the PTO I first bring the engine to an idle and let the implement wind down. Is this necessary? Does it help with the PTO brake? Is there in fact a PTO brakes on the JDs with the hydraulically controlled PTOs or is it the lack of fluid movement and fluid resistance?

Just curious and bored. :D

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
PS, you are doing it the right way. ALWAYS engage the pto at idle NO LOAD on it. ALWAYS bring the engine back to idle and allow the implement to wind down. Disengaging the pto at higher of full pto rpm places un-neede wear and tear on the pto decel. brake. Engaging the pto at higher than idle speed induces high pto clutch and pto train loads. again un-needed. If you need to step off the machine for a moment while the pto is engaged to pick up something or take a look, it is best to throttle back but not to idle, between 1200 - 1500 rpm is what I do. If your safety switch interlocks are working correctly, the machine will NOT allow you to do this and it is best to idle back and disengage the pto unless you can override the safety switches. (probably not a good idea)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts