Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's start from the beginning! I started out with this!

http://img77.photobucket.com/albums/v234/chezrad/HPIM0338.jpg
This is Old Burnt!

I then inherited this, my 175 Hydro. Since it was free I thought I'd throw some new parts at it and get a decent mower. It ran okay, but it did need new tires.

http://img77.photobucket.com/albums/v234/chezrad/HPIM0301.jpg

My first "advernture" was getting one of the rims off. I ended up haveing to cut the @$%#&* thing off!

http://img77.photobucket.com/albums/v234/chezrad/HPIM0314.jpg
I then ordered new tires from Tires Unlimited. The wait began....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next..

So my tires showed up and off I wnet to my nearest JD dealer. I asked them to mount the new tires for me. No problem they said, give us a few days and they'll be ready.
I come to pick them up and one of the employees behind the counter tells me that one of the tires is defective. I should call Tires Unlimited and get my money back! There were bubbles on the inside sidewall of the tire.

http://img77.photobucket.com/albums/v234/chezrad/HPIM0331.jpg

http://img77.photobucket.com/albums/v234/chezrad/HPIM0328.jpg

I take some pictures and send them off to Tires Unlimited. I talked to a guy named TJ. They were great! He told me that if the tires were indeed defective, they would replace them in a heartbeat, no questions asked. He did ask that I pop them off the rim and look at the bead. So I did. Imagine my surprise when I saw the bead area of this tire ripped to shreads! Here are some pictures.

http://img77.photobucket.com/albums/v234/chezrad/HPIM0340.jpg

http://img77.photobucket.com/albums/v234/chezrad/HPIM0339.jpg

I ordered a new tire, and after I calmed down went back to the dealer. The owner said he would reimburse me for the cost of the tire. Okay, I'm somewhat calmer, but still I don't trust them as far as I can throw them. They blatently lied to me. There is no way someone could cause that mush damage and not know it! They even said they had a hard time getting the tire to hold are due to the "Defect"!

SO I take them the new tire. They proceed to grumble and complain about reimbursing me! The owner is on vacation, go figure. Finally, they agree to give me the money for the tire, and the money for mounting, and oh yeah, you'll have to get this thing mouted somewhere else! I was pissed!

Anyhow, the name of this dealer it Tri_county Rental in Easley, South Carolina. I would not advise doing any business with them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally...

I got my tires mounted. I also installed a new PTO switch, seat, and something the original was lacking, a hydration system retention device! LOL
Here is what it looks like now.

http://img77.photobucket.com/albums/v234/chezrad/HPIM0337.jpg

The tires are the larger, 185 Hydro standard size. They fill up the wheel wells better, don't you think?

Cheers!

PS. I found a new JD dealer. Remember, Tri-County Rental in Easley, South Carolina sucks IMHO! During the whole evolution described above, they never did look at the damages tire! Outrageous!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Too bad about your encounter at the JD dealer. Looks like they gave your tire changing job to the new (teenage) hire and he/she did not know what they were doing. Is Tires Unlimited a mail-order outfit? I have a local tire dealer who can get almost anything and has the expertise to install it correctly. Even though i have changed many a tire, I let him do it.

Tractor looks much better now, and even has the proper accessory on the left fender:D :D
waynl

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Yea thats no defect that was cause by whoever put them on. Glad to hear they gave you the money back. I dont think i could have trusted they to put it on again. Glad you found someone else to do it. Its not hard to do im with waynl i think some teen with a summer job did it.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
To blatantly lie to cover up their incompetence in installing the tire breaches the sacred customer relationship of trust is just wrong.

A lot of honest business men hope to establish such a trust so there is a long term relationship with that customer.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
With the larger rear tires, you have now increased your top speed. COOOOOL! Nice looking tractor, and hopefully no more bad experiences.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
BUTCHERS!!!!!

I have mounted hundreds of tires, from small L&G stuff, to 18" low profile preformace tires. I know when a tire was butcherd, and that be one. To get THAT bad the person tore it up, then KEPT mounting it, and tore it up more. You want them doing your oil change???? NO F'ing WAY!!!!!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I think most places really don't like when a customer shows up with his own parts. They are probably making an additional 25 percent or more by selling you the items. Not defending their incompetance but they probably got soured and gave it to their "best" guy, or else they're all just morons:D

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
You mentioned going to a larger tire. What was the originally and the replacement tire you used? I'm thinking of putting larger tires on my 112L. It has 18 x 8.50 x 8.00 and I'm thinking of going to a 20 x 8.50 x 8.00 or something similar.

Also, did if effect the levelness of the deck and was there enough adjustment to level it? And, of course, what effect did it have on the quality of cut?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Originally posted by treed
You mentioned going to a larger tire. What was the originally and the replacement tire you used? I'm thinking of putting larger tires on my 112L. It has 18 x 8.50 x 8.00 and I'm thinking of going to a 20 x 8.50 x 8.00 or something similar.
Treed,

I checked JDParts Online and it listed only 18 x 6.5 x 8 and 18 x 8.5 x 8 as available options for your 112L. 20's may scrub your deck on a 112L.

My dad tried to help me out a while back by putting 20's on my 116 (which IS an option) and the rear tires scrubbed the deck when I put the tractor in reverse. Turns out the 20's were only options if you used a 46" deck, otherwise 18's are called for.

If the deck clearance is OK, I'd say go for it. :thumbsup:

Steve :tractorsm

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Thanks, Steve. I would say that my 112L would have the same problem as your 116, as both are basically the same tractor. I have a 1985 JD sales brochure and it lists 18s for all the 111s, 112Ls and 116s with 38" deck and 20s for the 116 with 46" deck. I would have to checked the clearance between the tires and the deck to see if they would rubbed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tires

Treed,

I saw a 185 hydro at a dealer with the larger tires and the same size deck as I have. Looking at JD parts, the larger tires were fitted on the 185. I went for it. The right rear doesn't rub, but's it's so close it would be hard to tell. This is when the deck is in the transport position. Under mowing conditions, everything clears just fine.

Rodster,

Not only do I intend on never again darkening their doorstep, I have made it a personnal mission to tell everyone that will listen about their shody work and lack of ethics. They really tee'd me off!

Like someone in retail once told me, if you please a customer, he probably won't tell anyone. If you piss a customer off, he'll tell everyone!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Re: Tires

Originally posted by chezrad

Like someone in retail once told me, if you please a customer, he probably won't tell anyone. If you piss a customer off, he'll tell everyone!

Or, "Good news travels fast, bad news travels even faster!"

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I to have mounted lots of tires and I still have a multitude of tire spoons to hand mount lots of tires. I just find it really dumb to butcher a tire and then to lie about it.
Before I got back into the aircraft field I ran a tire shop and I always made sure the person who bought his own parts in was treated the same as any other customer. I never felt anything bad about a person who did this except when they bought something really cheesy (cheapo and inferior quaility) Then I would generally pull something off the rack and let them compare the difference. 9 times out of 10 I ended up selling the part and doing the repair with the higher quaility part.
Once in a while the person would buy really good quaility and I would never do this. The shop owner had the same ideas and would want us to do this. We would also try and beat the prices we provided to all our customers. It really did not matter to us as long as we did and the customer was happy (I would say a good number of the self part providing customer would always come back and have us do most of his services to his vehicles)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts