Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife's vehicle is due for some new tires. It seems like it's been awhile since I was asked "White lettering in or out?" You don't see very much white lettering except maybe on pickups. White lettering used to be the rage if you wanted your car to look sporty.

When I was growing up whitewalls were common on sedans. Blackwalls were for the economy-minded like my dad, although I think he splurged a few times.

Now Redlines were cool when I was a kid. They were on all my HotWheels . To me there is nothing cooler than seeing Redlines on a 60's musclecar, such as a '69 Roadrunner with Magnum wheels.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Just a thought, but pretty much any tire that comes with raised white letters also comes in blackwall for at least $10 less per tire. Don't be suckered by a dealer selling the higher priced whites and then mounting them backwards. Some tires have anti-roll sidewalls and can't be reverse mounted, for example BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A's and All-Terrain T/A's and some others. Besides that it looks kinda dumb when you turn the front wheels and see the white letters poking out from behind.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I'm getting close to making that decision on my truck and change the factory black walls. I like white letter and white walls as long as they are clean. But since I hate cleaning and keeping them white, I will probably continue with black walls. :D

I think the GTO had a factory red line tire option back in the middle 60's.

Mark

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
When I was a kid, there was no such thing as “All Weather” tires.
I remember, every year on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, we would
put the “Snow Tires” on Dad and Mom’s car. They stayed on until the
Saturday before Easter Sunday.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
What are snow tires:lmao:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Well dealing with tires almost every day, not many come with white wall, or letters these days. Depending on the size, the choise may be made for you. I do like white letter tires on most trucks, and old musle cars realy deserve a set. For the old musle cars, the BFG T/A's look great. Nice tastfull small white letters. Oh and cars from the 50's and earlyer?? Got to have a nice set of whitewalls

:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Originally posted by Ernieg
They have snow tire stud service :furious: :furious: Bye Bye
Did you hear about the two priests who died and went to see St. Peter at the Pearly Gates, and it was a madhouse. St. Peter sees their collars and comes over

" Sorry guys, we've had a disaster and we're backed up, it'll be about about a week before we can get you in. Now, I can't send you back where you were. But look, I can get you a week somewhere off the record while you're waiting. you can be anything or go anywhere you want! What would you like to be for the next week?"

The first priest says" I'd like to go on a cruise" So St.Peter sends him on a cruise.

The second one says" Are you sure it's off the record? Because in that case I'd like to be a stud!" So St. Peter sends him off to be a stud.

A week later, God says to St. Peter " How's it going, did you get everything cleared up? What about those two old priests?"

St. Peter " Well, the guy on the cruise will dock in 17 minutes in Miami, but there may be a little problem with the stud"

"Don't tell me you've lost him!"

"Well, no, he's not lost. But it may take a little time to get him back. Right now he's on the left front of an 18 wheeler, somewhere on the Alaska Highway!"

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Armstrong Tire and Rubber company used ot make one heck of a nice set of redline tires, also had them in a gold color as well. Used to have a pair of the redline ones on my 63 Chevy SS convertible........looked great along with crager wheels.

How long has it been since anyone has seen Porta Walls for sale in an auto supply store like Pep Boys etc......they used to be the rage at one time.........andn then there was Hertz renta cars and trucks with the red and black segmented tires, just to keep customers from swapping tires on their rental cars.........

I run Coopers on my pickup truck and usually get great mileage from them. The wife runs Goodrich something or others on her Toyota.........both are preferences are black wall tires no white lettering, as we are both past that stage of life to have things youy pay extra for that do not add any increase in performance or mileage etc.........so as long as they are black and round and hold air and have a good ABC rating, thats what we buy.........usually at the local AFEES BX/PX........no tax, and they have a no hassle road hazzard warranty and sell top brand tires at super prices.

I bet there must be as many tire stores in Montgomery, Alabama as there are doctors and lawyers.............every corner has a tire store so it seems with brands of tires I have never heard of........like a set of 4 of some brand for $49.99...

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Originally posted by jodyand
What are snow tires:lmao:
In this area they call em mud grips. I doubt you could find a bona find snow tire in this area if your life depended on it even. Only places I ever see tire chains is in the local goodwill store when some military member or carpet bagger moves south with all their belongings and later find out they don;t need em so they get donated to goodwill, and I buy up all the pairs of chains I can find at these places.......usually 1 or 2 bucks a set.........the latches on them make goat proof gate latches, and a set of chains makes a good sling or cradle for lifting 55 gal drums or logs etc, but I usually use them for their latches.

I know mud grips are different than snow tirers, but a while back we happened to get 6 inches of snow dropped on us.............while that may not seem like much up north, and not even make the daily paper or radio broadcasts here its a maajor even, same as "chance of flurries" is major breaking news......stores shut down, business close up schools send kids home...........bridges and overpassses have police on them to block them just incase they freeze over..............in other words the place goes paranoid in a hurry.Being a former yankee myself, 6 inches is nothing IMHO, so this one time I went to go to work and was rufused access on the overpass on the interstate unless I had mud gripes on. You had to have mud grips on a vehicle if you were going to cross any overpasses (they were frozen over).........duh! Even when I lived up north about all I ever used was a good set of all season tires and if need be drug ut the chains or used my 4 wheel drive truck. To me there is nothing worse than mud grips or snow tires on the back of an empty long bed pickup truck if your looking for traction.........and that was the only requirement to go over a overpass during this snow spell we had..........

All it takes is a abit of cold weather here and the south essentially shuts down............my water lines are only 6 to 8 inches deep, but they have never been froze up.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by Chipmaker

All it takes is a abit of cold weather here and the south essentially shuts down............my water lines are only 6 to 8 inches deep, but they have never been froze up.
The city of Cheboygan, which is just to the north of us had water mains freezing last year...these mains are 8 foot in the ground.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts