Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to dust off the ole boats and get back into the water.
Well this year I am a captain without a ship. I sold my SeaRay
jetboat to a buddy of mine before my 18 mo son was born, since I knew we wouldn't be able to use it. In addition, my daughter just 6 at the time was not very excited about going out on the "scary boat" --- so it didn't get much use for the family.

Things are a little better now and she just turned 8 last month and my son is so much more fearless than she was even at just 18 months, so we might (I do stress might) be in the market for a boat this season. Just wanted to open a discussion here with pics if possible on your boats, where you take them, what you use them for and any/all maintenance and safety guides!

BTW, does anyone have any recommendations on a decent used
bowrider type boat? Good brands/bad? Things to look out for?
Bayliner, Searay, Ebbtibe, Four Winns, Maxum, VIP? Looking for a slightly older boat (due to initial cost) and wanted to know what you guys recommend. Looking for a nice open or closed bow runabout for about 5-7 people to cruise, ski, and just have fun on. Nothing fancy needed just a clean boat. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much and HAPPY WAVES!!!

:captain:

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh Captain, My Captain! I can get it for you wholesale!

JOSE

:pedro: :pedro: :pedro:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
got some pic's of mine at home, I will post them later tonight, as well, as my boating waters. As for a bow rider? If you are planing to go in open water w/kids, I would probably look for a cuddy cabin boat. Little safer if you take a wave over the bow.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Originally posted by admin
Oh Captain, My Captain! I can get it for you wholesale!

JOSE

:pedro: :pedro: :pedro:
:truth: :truth: oh captain, my Captain that is in a movie

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Captain, my Captain is from a poem by Robert Frost, I think, on the assassination of President Lincoln.

Greg

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Originally posted by Argee
Here we go again...the alter ego Jose is back in Andy's head. Jody did Andy go off his medication again????:lmao:
Maybe or its spring fever :furious:
Jody

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Surprised that everyone likes JOSE so much! :pedro:

Actually, I am seriously looking for some boating answers...Perhaps Jose will make another appearance later this week, but for now ------ BOATING is on the board!

ALL ABOARD! :D

:captain: :captain: :captain: :captain: :captain:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hi
Here is a picture of my boat. We are still down in the Keys for a couple more weeks. This picture was taken at the dock here at the condo. It is a 1985 18.5 foot Sea Ray cuddy cabin. It is an IO with the 140 HP 3 Litre GM 4 cylinder. It gets good milage for a boat and does an honest 40 MPH with clean bottom and smooth water.
That is measured on the GPS. Speedometer speed is 48 MPH. The GPS also keeps track of miles traveled. In the last 4 years the boat has over 1,500 miles put on it in the water, most of them here in the Keys. I have put about 12,000 miles towing it on the trailer.
Later Rod

Attachments

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Nice boat you have there Rod still enjoying your vacation i see. Just don't eat where Leolav ate you will end up with food poising.
Jody

·
Registered
477 Posts
Admin...I see you live in LA. Will the boat be used in salt water (rough conditions), or in fresh water, such as a lake or river?

Do you plan to "live" aboard for a few days at at time, or will it be used just to cruise around and do a little water skiing?

Do you want an outboard, inboard, I/O? Another jet propulsion craft?

I have never owned a new boat, but could possibly help suggest a few brands. But since you are seemingly looking for something "previously owned", I think I could help you a little more- as for things to look for to detect problems such as rotted or waterlogged stringers, transom, floor, etc.

If you are considering a salt water type boat, Pro-Line boats- made in Crystal River Florida, would be an awesome boat. Florida is not far from you, and I'm sure you could find some in your area. I worked at Pro-Line for quite some time as a gelcoater before starting culinary school.

Overall, it really depends on what you intend to do with the boat.

Rodster- Thats a nice lookin' Chrissy. Must be nice to be on vacation too!

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Old Boat

I have an older Welcraft and it is a nice boat. The boat is powered by a Mercruiser 6 cylander chevy engine. 21'6" is plenty of boat and goes well on Lake Erie, a lake known to kick up on a moments notice. Originally I paid $800.00 for it, but have up-dated the seating, carpet, etc. Came with a shorelander trailer.Open bow style boat modified deep vee. This thing can handle heavy water well. Mostly used for night time walleye fishing and sunday cruises with the family.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fusion,

Thanks for the reply. Just interior waterways and always freshwater. Lakes and rivers mostly. No living aboard the boat, I dont want a yacht or house boat! :D ---- Just a little runabout for skiing, cruising, relaxing etc. Thinking 17-21' or so. Don't really know about the drive --- was thinking maybe I/O --- Jet is really limited and not useful for all applications on the water. Plus you only have a few vendors in Yamaha, Seadoo, Sugarsand & Searay ---- Probably more in the style of a Bowrider like a Bayliner Capri or something but I wouldn't mind a closed bow boat --- like an older boat with nice V8 I/O. :D --- Heard bad things about the reliability and longevity of the cheaper Bayliners.

Thanks,
Andy
:captain:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Andy, I had a Four Winns 200 Horizon. It was about 21' long with a 4.3 Chevy engine. I bought it when my kids were young (10 & 8). I always spent my summers on Lake George (my grandparents owned a camp right on the water) so I learned to ski early. I wanted to teach my family how to ski. We had that boat until the last kid was gone. Then my interests turned to fishing since my wife didn't like to drive the boat and you have to have a driver and observer in order to ski. In 1997 I traded it in for a Ranger bass boat so now my wife and I spend our leisure time on the water fishing.

I looked at several open bow boats when I bought my Four Winns but didn't care for the structural integrity (I'm not going to mention any brands). For the money the Four Winns was a GREAT deal to get on the water and to teach the family to ski. We had 3 of us ski'ing behind it at one time. It didn't go very fast because I had a low pitch prop on it but boy would it pull. I hope this helps you out some; and yes, I'm getting itchy to start cleaning up my fishing gear and de-winterize the boat.

By the way, where's the fishing or boat smilie?

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
kill a few birds with this shot. This is me lanching my boat at my moring area on Cape Cod Mass. The tow vecal is my 93 Ford E150 van, and the boat is a 85 Rinker 21' cuddy. My boating area is mostly louis bay on Cape Cod. This is the same bay Hyanis harber is on. I do venture out to the sound once in a wile, but mostly hang out in the bay.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Better shot of the boat. It has a 3.7L 190hp IO drive. I realy miss it, I keep it at my house on the Cape, and have not had it in the water in two years. Also having a young one, boating was a ways down the list of things to do. Well this summer she will be two, and old enough for a few harber cruses. Cant wait!:) :)

Attachments

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I don't know he didn't say but this is what he wrote today. Beautiful sun set.
Jody

( Believe it or not, I am still alive!!

I have had a hell of two weeks or so.

Went to Florida, had a vacation, got hospitalized with severe food poisoning and made it back home to tell about it.

We ate dinner at the hotel and I was so violently ill that I hairline fractured one of my ribs. They immediately took me to the hospital and put me in for the night. They gave me no new food and strictly IVs. Needless to say, it was not fun. I didn't eat from monday night until late wednesday night. I had no appetite. I lost an amazing 22lbs of weight (mostly fluid). I have put on 10 of that back on. They have me drinking gatorade and electrolyte based fluids til tomorrow.

Fun business trip and vacation!!)

1 - 20 of 79 Posts