Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new project. I got an old boat and a motor. Well the motor is setup to use a hand tiller or whateever you call them. I know there are kits to make one into a steering wheel mechanism, but I was wondering if any one has done this. How hard would this be?
Ryan

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
What kind of boat, layout, size, pics are needed.

What kind of motor, model, size, pics are needed.

Let's see from then.

Greg

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Ryan,

Can you take pics tomorrow and post? Where do you plan on putting the steering wheel, if you decide to do so.

Here's a link for Teleflex steering systems that might help you deciding what to do. It's a pdf file.

http://www.teleflexmorse.com/scripts/PDF/Blue/Lit/SteeringYouRightMKIV.pdf

What is your budget? Steering systems can be expensive (boats are expensive to own) and it cost me $750 to replace the system on my Boston Whaler.

And last, maybe should have been first, why do you want to change from tiller steering to "Wheel" steering?

Look forward to seeing the pics.

Greg

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Back in "the day" they used to rig up a pully/cable system. The wheel ebd had a drum on the end, with cable wrapped around it. From that the two ends of the cable came out, one to port, one to starbord, to pulleys. Then they went back to each end of the transom, to two more pullys, then crnter to meat at the motor. So as you turned the wheel, it would pull one side of the cable, wile letting the other lose. The best setup? No not realy, but cheap in you can find the parts from a scrap boat.

Now as Greg is saying, there are steering systems out there. If I am not mastaken, some are pretty cheap also. I don;t know if they have them in your aera, but West mearine has some good deals, and a real nice catalog.

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Paul,

You're right, the first boat I had many many years ago had the cable system (60's boat). I believe they are now illegal. Over time the cable tended to stretch and just when you didn't need it....Ooops, the cable came off the drum and you were SOL at high speed. Too many accidents and high liability.

West Marine, Boaters World are both good places to check out.

Greg

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I have purchase several steering kits from Boaters World on their ebay auctions for around $25 - $60. Not sure if they still sell a few now and then. Might be worth a looksee.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Take a look on the Boaters World website and click on there auctions and see if they have any steering kits to bid on.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Try to find a boat yard around you. Maybe one will have an old junk boat out back that they will sell the parts off of. Fglass boats never go away, got to be scrap ones SOMEWERE near you.

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Ryan,

How about an update on your boat project? Still no pics? Boating/Fishing season is right around the corner.

Greg

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
havent had chance to work on it yet. Nope no pics yet. I dont think I will be using it this year, I will use my parents most likely. I wanna repaint it and all that good stuff. Trailer will be dissassembled and blasted, painted, greased and all that good stuff too:D thanks for help guys
Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by farmallmaniac
oh yeah... I still have to take my boater's permit test lol
Ryan
Hey enjoy that class. Lot to learn, and boating can be a nice life long hobby that the whole famley can enjoy, but does bring with it a lot of responabilty.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hi
I never heard of a boaters permit. Is this for under 18 years old.
I would think that it would be good for everybody.
Rodster

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
i used to have a seacraft aluminum boat.. It was basically a big deep v hull row boat with seats.. but i put a console in it.. it was 1000 times better.. instead of holding the tiller thing i could steer.. made my big rowboat much more fun to drive.. no vibrating tiller to hold onto all day..

if you can get a kit and do it.. go for it.. as i recall the kit cost me around 300-400$ and this was in 1986..
(wow i am old)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my grandpa did this to an old mercury years and years ago I guess to put on his little pontoon (now mine). He doesnt really remember how he did it lol... how convienient lol
Ryan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts