Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leo posted a few days ago about Lyme disease and I had to take some of the folks I work with out in the woods for a class. We all came back in with some little uninvited visitors. You guessed it ticks! Prevention is helpfull, but nothing is perfect and if you do get a visitor or two I found a link on how to remove them. During our class I asked the question about how to remove them and got a multitude of answers. Some were bad and some good but here is what the right answer is! The Link is at the end of the post. Good luck and be safe out there! :D

Tick Removal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tick's mouthparts have reverse harpoon-like barbs, designed to penetrate and attach to skin. Ticks secrete a cement-like substance that helps them adhere firmly to the host. If you find that you or your pet has been bitten by a tick, it is important to remove it properly.

Tick Removal Procedure:

1) Use fine-point tweezers to grasp the tick at the place of attachment, as close to the skin as possible.

2) Gently pull the tick straight out.
3) Place the tick in a small vial labeled with the victim's name, address and the date.
4) Wash your hands, disinfect the tweezers and bite site.
5) Mark your calendar with the victim's name, place of tick attachment on the body, and general health at the time.
6) Call your doctor to determine if treatment is warranted.
7) Watch the tick-bite site and your general health for signs or symptoms of a tick-borne illness. Make sure you mark any changes in your health status on your calendar.
8) If possible, have the tick identified/tested by a lab, your local health department, or veterinarian.
If the mouthparts break off in the skin - should I dig them out?

We have heard two competing opinions about this.

One viewpoint states that the mouthparts can cause a secondary infection, and should be removed as if it was a splinter.

Another viewpoint was shared with us by a pediatrician in a hyperendemic area. He states that parents can do more harm by trying to hold down a child and dig out the mouthparts with a needle. He instructs his families to leave the mouthparts, and that they will come out on their own as the skin sloughs off.

CAUTIONS:

Children should be taught to seek adult help for tick removal.
If you must remove the tick with your fingers, use a tissue or leaf to avoid contact with infected tick fluids.
Do not prick, crush or burn the tick as it may release infected fluids or tissue.
Do not try to smother the tick (e.g. petroleum jelly, nail polish) as the tick has enough oxygen to complete the feeding.

http://www.lyme.org/ticks/removal.html

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Stewart
When one of my dogs had a tick, I called the vet to ask how to remove it. It was quite large as it had been feeding awhile. About the size of a shirt button. The vet told me to soak it with rubbing alcohol until it shriveled and dislodged. Worked in a few minutes and came out commplete. I guess this would also apply to humans?

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
weve got lots of them here too. from my understanding, the lyme (deer) ticks are smaller and need to be attached for 24 hours for the disease to pass....

Sometimes they really embed into my dog.. I put a tissue soaked in alcohol over them for 1/2 minute or so.. that seems to help loosen their grip....

i really hate the little bastards.. but on a bright note.. you can make it a fun game to check your ladys bod out thoroughly for ticks...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by simple_john
on a bright note.. you can make it a fun game to check your ladys bod out thoroughly for ticks...
I wonder how long that will work?????:D
I guess it is worth a try!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The worst part about the Lyme deer ticks is that often, you don't even know you've been bitten. The 24 hr rule is false. The tick must attach themselves to you and generally, the virus will often get transmitted within the first 10 minutes or so. The good news, is that it takes the tick some time to break through the skin and adhere (estimates vary).

Also, be aware that some of the time, the tick bites don't show the rash sign (a big bullseye rash) that indicates infection. Some people never get the rash at all.

If you feel lousy with no symptoms other than being tired, weak, generally flulike without sniffles and coughing, or even arthritic, get medical test checking for Lyme. Trust me, it is not something you want to go through once, much less twice!

Right now, I am starting to get some energy back, but overall, I still ache in my back a ton. My joints are stiff, but overall, it is much better than two days ago.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by leolav
If you feel lousy with no symptoms other than being tired, weak, generally flulike without sniffles and coughing, or even arthritic, get medical test checking for Lyme. Trust me, it is not something you want to go through once, much less twice!

Hey thats me everyday. Just thought I was getting old:)

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Originally posted by Ingersoll444
Hey thats me everyday. Just thought I was getting old:)
I say the same thing getting up at 5:00am and going to bed at 11:00pm don't help matters. But its hard to teach a old dog new tricks:D
Jody

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
leo i know you must be a lyme disease expert by now.. heres a link where they say it usually takes 36-48 hours before it passes the infection...
at least if it has to be on your body for a while it gives the illusion that we have a fighting chance against the damned things..
hope you are recovering well..
sj

american lyme disease page

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Good link. At least it proves my Dr. is full of $hit. He claims that it is difficult to tell when it is transmitted and even the pros are guessing according to him. Seems pretty cut and dry in the link.

That makes me feel better, I guess.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
i used to work with a wonderful woman.. a young mother, wicked anal and overprotective of her kids.. but a great lady..

she found a tick on one of her kids one day.. She flipped out and after bringing them to the ER where they refused to do anything...
she researched the heck out of it...
pictures, articles, links... the whole schmeal...

all was unneeded in her case.. but she opened my eyes to the whole and very serious problem of lyme discease..

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Leo,
I wouldn't say he is full of crap, maybe just misinformed. Those guys have to remember a WHOLE lot of stuff!

One of the things that I was told about removing a tick was putting a match you just blew out on the ticks backside and they will pull out. In reality they will throw up and that is where the bad stuff is.

I just wanted to try and get the word out so people can take care of themselves. I hope you are feeling better.

Knowledge is power!!!
:pedro:

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
We have relatively few ticks around our property, thanks be to guinea fowl and peafowl. Those suckers hunt down any bug with a passion. One time, before I used to let a few guineas free range we had lots of ticks. You could not even walk out to get the mail without getting a tick on you. We use something or other on the dogs once a month and that takes care of ticks and fleas on them, and the goats don't get em with the medication we put on them either. But if I go back in the back fields and woods you will get some tag alongs for sure, but for the most part the general living area around that I maintain is pretty well tick and other insects free.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Living in the frozen wasteland to the north does have some advantages, we are relatively lyme free.:D The ticks can't handle the winters.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks, Simple_John. Just got back from the tick inspection, and she was not very cooperative.

What other than ice is good for a broken nose?

No really, ticks have been bad here for the past few years. Leolav, that is messed up. I hope all is well!

Greg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts