Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to tractor buying, and have a budget of ~$11k. I acquired some property mainly used for recreation, but it has 15 acres of open, hilly pasture that I'd like to keep bush hogged.

There's a local Yanmar refurb tractor that I looked at the other day which runs and drives well. It was the first time I'd ever driven a tractor, and it was much different than a car!

They want $12,900 for the 2610d, which comes with a loader. Everything looks brand new, tires, engine components...just not sure if this is the way to go.

TBH, I'd rather buy a refurbed tractor that has had things rebuilt, than a used tractor that hasn't gone through the cleaning and once over. At least that's my train of thought.

Looking for other thoughts/opinions/experiences!

I've got an older diesel truck which I've had for 15 years, which I've had problems with that I've had to repair myself, so I know what a decent diesel engine should sound like.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Looks fairly slightly larger than the Kubota L2550dt I grew up with. It should be fine for you. If you are looking to cut roads and the like, get a 3-point backhoe for it. I doubt you'll ever have to do anything with the engine. I would closely inspect the castings for cracks and make sure the hydraulics can lift the front of the tractor easily.

Your thinking about the refurb being looked over first....meh, that just means they made it look pretty before dumping it at auction. It was used commercially in Asia, then they armor-all-ed, sprayed, maybe stuck on new tires, and added a loader to turn a profit selling it in the US. I am not saying it is bad, just that something like Dad's old Kubota, that does not look pretty has had quite a bit fewer hours, and was intended to be kept long term. I would favor the machine that has lived its life in the domestic market myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

Yeah, seems like a high price for such an old tractor, granted the loader itself is probably ~4k of the price, which means $8 or 9k for the tractor.

Any other thoughts?

·
Administrator
11,092 Posts
Hoyetractor shows 8300+ 3000 for the loader..... that's 11000-12000. make an offer if you think it's a good tractor. Knock 600 off if it's a private sale and make an offer from there.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Thanks.

Yeah, seems like a high price for such an old tractor, granted the loader itself is probably ~4k of the price, which means $8 or 9k for the tractor.

Any other thoughts?
That isn't that high. It is a diesel tractor in what looks to be great shape, with new tires and most likely a new loader.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Would I be better off with a more modern tractor, like after 2010, or am I asking for electronic issues?
I would certainly stick to mechanical injection (if a diesel) or something with a factory warranty.
I don't fear computers, but modern diesel emission systems are not a mature technology.
eta; I would love to see a resurgence of gasoline tractors because of this, and I'm surprised it hasn't happened.
Think about it; how much simpler would something like a 3000lbs tractor be with a V-twin gas engine? The problem is the few you see like this (ventrac or the like) is they they are boutique built machines, so don't have the benefits of mass production backing them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They were offering a 1 year warranty on the refurb...
I just can't find decent used tractors in the $12k price range that aren't going to end up causing headaches anyway. For some reason, the warranty offered calms my nerves a bit...

·
Registered
987 Posts
that at least covers you against them having done something stupid during the referb/refit, if they honor it. a warranty, especially on something that was redone recently, is certainly worth something.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You asked for other thoughts, opinions, and experiences. When I was looking for my first tractor (about 12 years ago), I wanted a newer tractor, I wanted a diesel, and I wanted a loader. The friend with whom I was talking asked me one simple question. He asked, "Do you want a shiny new tractor, or do you want a tractor that works?" Of course I said a tractor that works. He then asked me why I needed a loader, and I told him to move things. He told me he could do everything with a plain tractor that I could do with a loader and that I didn't need a loader. He said he'd keep an eye out for a tractor that would work for me. About a month later, he sold me my first tractor. A 1959 Fordson Dexta diesel. I bought it from a picture that was sent to me. When he brought it to my home, I looked at the tractor and thought I'd made a terrible mistake. It looked like heck, but I trusted this man. There were some issues that didn't cost me too much to fix, and I still have this little tractor. I learned the ins and outs of tractor ownership, usage, and maintenance. I paid $1,500 for the tractor and bush hog and I put about $300 on repairs. I learned how to fix things myself on it. I still use my reliable little Fordson. By the way, my friend was right, I didn't need a loader. Everything I've wanted to do, including move dirt, I can do with the Fordson and some attachment, it takes longer, but I can do it. Since then, I've acquired three other older used machines (I like the diesels) for a small amount of money. Personally I don't want a new machine. I want one that works!

·
Registered
987 Posts
You asked for other thoughts, opinions, and experiences. When I was looking for my first tractor (about 12 years ago), I wanted a newer tractor, I wanted a diesel, and I wanted a loader. The friend with whom I was talking asked me one simple question. He asked, "Do you want a shiny new tractor, or do you want a tractor that works?" Of course I said a tractor that works. He then asked me why I needed a loader, and I told him to move things. He told me he could do everything with a plain tractor that I could do with a loader and that I didn't need a loader. He said he'd keep an eye out for a tractor that would work for me. About a month later, he sold me my first tractor. A 1959 Fordson Dexta diesel. I bought it from a picture that was sent to me. When he brought it to my home, I looked at the tractor and thought I'd made a terrible mistake. It looked like heck, but I trusted this man. There were some issues that didn't cost me too much to fix, and I still have this little tractor. I learned the ins and outs of tractor ownership, usage, and maintenance. I paid $1,500 for the tractor and bush hog and I put about $300 on repairs. I learned how to fix things myself on it. I still use my reliable little Fordson. By the way, my friend was right, I didn't need a loader. Everything I've wanted to do, including move dirt, I can do with the Fordson and some attachment, it takes longer, but I can do it. Since then, I've acquired three other older used machines (I like the diesels) for a small amount of money. Personally I don't want a new machine. I want one that works!
going to have to disagree with that loader assessment. It is an incredibly versatile attachment. With a new style quick connect, even better. Then there are the things you can only do with a loader...like loading a truck. Hard to load a truck with the 3-point. Brush hogs..meh.. If you can't mow it with a riding mower, its probably not worth mowing. If you want to keep a 2 track clear, their are other options.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I'm new to tractor buying, and have a budget of ~$11k. I acquired some property mainly used for recreation, but it has 15 acres of open, hilly pasture that I'd like to keep bush hogged.

There's a local Yanmar refurb tractor that I looked at the other day which runs and drives well. It was the first time I'd ever driven a tractor, and it was much different than a car!

They want $12,900 for the 2610d, which comes with a loader. Everything looks brand new, tires, engine components...just not sure if this is the way to go.

TBH, I'd rather buy a refurbed tractor that has had things rebuilt, than a used tractor that hasn't gone through the cleaning and once over. At least that's my train of thought.

Looking for other thoughts/opinions/experiences!

I've got an older diesel truck which I've had for 15 years, which I've had problems with that I've had to repair myself, so I know what a decent diesel engine should sound like.
Is the YM2610D a UTDA refurbished machine? Then jump on it before prices go up! The manual for this tractor is here in the manuals section. The engine is also used on 2 other Yanmars and it's John Deere sibling the JD850.

I presently have a YM2610 2WD. Wish I had the cash to splurge for the 4WD. The machine is very durable. I've done all sorts of stuff with the machine. logging, hay work, 6ft brush mowing, pulls an 11,000-lbs trailer full of hay, snow removal, grading, notched disc harrowing, post hole auger digging, finish mowing, and more. It's about 31Hp on the engine and about 27Hp out the PTO. Runs really nice on 10W30 in the summer and 5W30 in the winter. It gets in places where other tractors can't due to size. It's the middle size of the Yanmar YM Series.

Yanmar has made John Deere tractors for over 40+ years. The YM series is directly related to the Deere 50-Series. See the image of the factory shot. Parts supply is strong too. The YM2610 and YM2500 are very close siblings.

You'll love the multi-speed PTO on the YM2610 as well. The Power-Shift is sooooo smooth. Beats having to clutch and stall the PTO just to shift with a gear tractor. The Power-Shift allows for a LIVE PTO. Thus the mower keeps spinning and you can shift into reverse to snag what was missed or in a pocket of the yard/land.

The good thing with the YM2610D is the 3-cly engine being quieter than the 2-cly's that sound like popcorn machines.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
30 Posts
going to have to disagree with that loader assessment. It is an incredibly versatile attachment. With a new style quick connect, even better. Then there are the things you can only do with a loader...like loading a truck. Hard to load a truck with the 3-point. Brush hogs..meh.. If you can't mow it with a riding mower, its probably not worth mowing. If you want to keep a 2 track clear, their are other options.
I don't disagree with you about the loader. They are extremely useful, and one would have save me time. But for my needs at the time a loader wasn't a necessity. I found ways around the need for a loader, just like my friend said. I do like having a loader, but still, I use the backhoe more than I use the loader. As far as bush hog, no way a riding mower can mow underbrush in the woods!

·
Registered
987 Posts
I don't disagree with you about the loader. They are extremely useful, and one would have save me time. But for my needs at the time a loader wasn't a necessity. I found ways around the need for a loader, just like my friend said. I do like having a loader, but still, I use the backhoe more than I use the loader. As far as bush hog, no way a riding mower can mow underbrush in the woods!
odd. Its the small backhoe i have found to be virtually useless.

why mow underbrush in the woods?

·
Registered
30 Posts
odd. Its the small backhoe i have found to be virtually useless.

why mow underbrush in the woods?
Small backhoe on a tractor is virtually useless. The backhoe attachment on my DitchWitch worked well, but the backhoe on my Ford 515 is awesome!

Bush hog in the woods clearing near a fence line or areas where small trees and brush grow up. My bush hog easily mows down small trees and brush and other areas that are too rough for a finishing mower or riding mower.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Where did this photo come from?
Yanmar history brochure from the mid-1980s. The photo was part of a rather lengthy brochure describing how Yanmar has made John Deere compact tractors and both parties working together from Engineering to Marketing for a successful offer of the machines. John Deere 50, 55, 70. 90 compact tractor Series are Yanmar made in Japan.

The brochure is located at the Yanmar Tractors Owners Group, the link in my signature below.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts