Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I was listening to what I thought was the rumble of an approaching thunderstorm. The the loud thumps, rumbles, and reports became rapid and one after the next. The dishes rattled and the walls shook. Reminded me of the sounds of war. Then it occured to me that the 101st was back in town as is the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (SOAR). It was NO thunderstorm. It was the sound Hellfire rockets, 30mm cannon fire, mini guns, 105mm Howitzer shells, and bombs dropped from aircraft on the manuever reservation and impact zone not far from my house. It reminded me of the days of intense training I took part in thinking and hoping never to have to use it. Made me think of these soldiers preparing to go back to war again in the Fall of this year to put their training and skill to use for real.

The amount of effort, blood, sweat, and tears our military men and women put out in our behave is simply awe inspiring to me. The next time you hear a thunder storm; think of these men and women and the sacrifices they make for us. Think of how blessed we are to live the lives we do and how fortunate to enjoy the material things in this life that MANY NEVER will.

For those of you who have worn the uniform, I am sure you know exactly what I am talking about. Think about and pray for these people the next time you see a soldier, sailor, airman, marine, or coast guardsman; even a military aircraft. Think about the sounds of feedom and how it sounds to you.

So much for my short foray into a past life. ;) :D

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
:ditto: :cheers: From me too:worthy:
Jody

·
Registered
518 Posts
GOD BLESS AMERICA AN ALL OUR FIGHTING MEN AND WOMEN PAST AND PRESENT:bigusa: :bigusa: :bigusa: AND TAKE TIME LIKE CHIEF SAID TO REMEMBER YER FREEDOM:thumbsup: :peace: :thumbsup: armytank :warplanes

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Chief, I live about 40-50 miles from CFB Gagetown, the largest militery base in Canada. We often hear the reports of their heavy artillary when on the practice range. From now on I'll think af this post!!!

God bless the fine men and women of both of our millitary forces!!!! :canada: :usaflag:

·
Registered
977 Posts
good post cheif all to often the sacrafices the military personnel from both countries make go forgotten heres to them :canada: :usaflag:

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I also have serve in the Air Force active and Reserve and the I am always reminded of the sound of FREEDOM everytime I hear a military jet on takeoff or landing. I am always reminded whenever I hear a B-52 because the first time I heard the B-52 was when I was in basic training in 1974 at Lackland AFB, Texas and a Buff flew over enroute to Kelly AFB, Tx. The Training INstructor called it The sound of Freedom. I just never want to be on the receiving end of what the buff has.:usaflag:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You should try the B-1, it is by far hands down the loudest I have ever heard. At least the first time, I don't hear much of anything anymore! Just kidding, I use my earplugs like a good little airman!:D

They use the same engines the F-16 uses only four of them. Quite the sight and sound!

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I think it was the B1 they flew over with at local air show last year. He came in low and opened it up and disappeared into the low clouds a couple of times. I thought my stomach would never quit vibrating while watching the clouds part and swirl behind him. I almost had more patriotism and respect for our military well up inside me at that moment than a non-vet could handle.
:wow:

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Originally posted by Stewart
You should try the B-1, it is by far hands down the loudest I have ever heard. At least the first time, I don't hear much of anything anymore! Just kidding, I use my earplugs like a good little airman!:D

They use the same engines the F-16 uses only four of them. Quite the sight and sound!
Whats that you say Stewart? Little hard of hearing o my end from all the noise I had for close to 32 years in the military. Have a 60% loss of hearing.........most of it occured prior to the days we were required to use hearing protection, especially in the Army. Air Force was about the same for awhile.

My favorite noisemakers were F-104's and F(RF)-4's.I remember one time we were deployed to Gulfport MIssissippi on a mission working with the air guard, and we had a BLC problem I was a jet engine mechanic back then, so I waited until the MA boys finished their job, and then ranboth engines up to 80%, which was the limit we could legally run them too without it being tied down. Once you went past that 80% mark there was no mistake as those engines would literaly howl and whine bigtime. I bumped it up to max mil a couple of times for the hell of it, Lots opf noise. Worst part was there wa a quiet hour and engines were not suposed to be run past idle rpm after 9pm, as the base was right on the edge of the town and surounded by houses, and it was well past 11 pm when I ran those engines. Talk about a butt chewing the next morning.........

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
My favorite noisemaker is the the F-4. It was one of the first jets I worked when I came in. I worked the D model and then worked the G's in 93 at Nellis. They are a deeper roar than most and it hits all your senses! You feel it, taste it and smell it! Nothing like the smell of JP-8 in the morning!

I saw a F-104 at North Bay in Canada it was quite a sight. If I remember they had hard light afterburners and it was a real kick in the pants when you lit it off! It was loud and smokey!

Like I said the B-1 is quite a sight with those 4 engines shooting flames out, it will really rattle you fillings!

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
F-4's had a 4 stage after burner, that lit off in intervals when it was initiated. This was due to the masive power that the motor put out, and the weight of the F-4, it was found that lighting the AB in stages produced a better transition into AB. The F-104 had only one stage and once AB was initiated, it was in full AB all at once, and this enabled that aircraft to attain its speed almost imediately as it was pretty small and light, and was intended as an interceptor. It just takes more time to get larger heavier objects moving, and it had to be done in stages on the F4. IIRC on the first models that were produced they had a single stage as well, and until they got momentum up they used to break off motor mounts, and screw up the seals at the front of the intake of the engine to the airframe.

Have you ever been up to CFB Cold Lake? That place had some fine chow for being a military base.....and also some great fishing. We had our Flight Line expediter truck out on Cold LAke itself when it was still frozen over. About 10 of us was in it loaded with our fishing gear. That big old blue high cube van with a flashing yellow light stuck out like a sore thumb on that frozen lake.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
:ditto:

dittos to what everyone said above...

Chief how close are you to the impact zone? do you feel the bigger bombs going off? it must be impressive to actually hear and/or see some of the artilliary stuff going off...

I have never served.. but am proud of and have great respect for those who do...

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Yeah Chief, How close are you to the impact zone? What we need is a exploding smiley, :D Just jiving y'all. Thanks folks for all the nice things said about the military, When I went in orginally I was a forklift mechanic and I lasted 5 years in that job. I hated that job every minute and got into aircraft structual repair as fast as I could. For a really great plane in my sights is the A-10 tank buster. Not super sonic but makes mince-meat of every tank it wants to pick on. No crusining for the tank crews on that plane and it messes up your day so bad that you are done. The thuds of the shells on the ground is something else. I used to have to go to Nellis range and watch the boys shoot up the targets really good. We were 2 miles away and could feel the ground the move from the impacts from the shells.:devil:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts