Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody seen Mel Gibsons new movie The Passion of the Christ? It's been in all the papers & news broadcasts. The reason I'm asking is the youth minister at church is wanting to take the kids at church (13 & older) to see it. Based on the reviews that I've read I'm not sure it's suitable for young kids. Many reviews describe how bloody & gory it is. I'm just not sure how my oldest (13) would handle it. I mean I don't want her having nightmares over this. What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I took my 12 year old daughter to see it. It was her first 'R" rated movie. It is a very powerful movie. Based on my daughters maturity and the fact this is a biblical story, it was okay for her. I would not take a child to see it that is prone to nightmares, as there are some scary scenes involving Satan's temping of Jesus. My daughter was fine. I want to see it again. I highly recommend it. -John

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Originally posted by Argee
I've been reading the reviews and it sounds a little gory. Is it overdone with the blood and guts?
No, it isn't overdone. But the scourging and Crucifixion are brutal. It'll make you wince.

·
Premium Member
4,116 Posts
My wife and I took our 16 year old to see it a couple of days ago. It is a very intense movie. I felt our daughter could handle it and she was glad to have seen it. I think it really opened her eyes as to what Jesus suffered through for all of us. The scourging is tough to watch as it is very graphic, but without it, the message of the movie would be less powerful. I didn't get a anti-semetic or anti-anything message out of the movie. I came away with the idea of how the unrest and petty hatreds of the Middle East have not changed much in 2000 years, and that those fueling those problems are the same power hungry, self absorbed bureacrats now as then, on all sides of the problem. The chanting crowd before Pontius Pilate, could be the crowd we all see on the 6:00 news in front of any government building today. And after realizing that, I was very saddened at how little progress we have made in 2000 years and I wonder if we were worthy of the sacrifice of God's only son. I am glad I saw it, and would recommend it. But it is not light entertainment. And it might not be the best choice for kids that are sensitive to violence and intense suffering.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sorrowful Mysteries

Good analysis bontai Joe. You are absolutely correct in stating that the violence was not overdone. Jesus was brutally scourged, so much so that he died within three hours of being crucified whereas many people typically lived for a day or two. The scourging itself almost killed him.

While Mel did take some "creative license" in a few areas (it is his film and his money!), for the most part he held true to the gospels. Many people who say they have a problem with this movie really have a problem with the gospels and bible as a whole.

It amazes me that other religious and non-religious movies have not created as much controversy as this film. (Look at Schindlers' List for example) When Martin Scorcese made "The Last Temptation of Christ" a few years back many Catholics and Christians were saddened at this portrayal of Christ but didn't make nearly as much noise as is the case with the Passion. No question which movie is more based in historical record.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You know, when I was a little kid attending Catholic grade school, we used to learn about people who gave their life for their faith; the ultimate sacrifice. It seemed very confusing back then because as Catholics in Cleveland in the 1970s, people didn't get tortured and killed for being Catholic and I couldn't understand what those lessons had to do with us at that time. Now looking back, it really wasn't about being tortured or killed. It's about being treated like Mel Gibson is being treated for putting a movie out that documents his faith. What is there about making that movie that would warrant calling him nuts?
It is very puzzling as to why this movie has gotten some peoples shorts all up in a knot, but we can speculate. My theory is this. A percentage of the people that entertain us on TV, movies and in sports act like total pigs. By coarsening our values over the last several decades, we have come to believe their behavior is OK. If there is a religious revival, their behavior may fall out of favor. Also, they derive their wealth from other people worshiping them and their work. If people start to worship God and start giving churches their money instead of spending it at the ball park or the movies or on cable television, then they will become regular working stiffs like the rest of us.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I understand your concerns Wheely, and I even share some of them. I don't personally feel that Mel Gibson is nuts and I don't believe Andy Rooney really does either. (Pat Robertson I'm not so sure about.) But I personally feel that when anyone tells you they have the one, true path to salvation, you should grab on to your wallet and hang on tight.

And just to provide my frame of reference, I was raised in a mainline protestant church, attended a Christian college and am currently an active, contributing member of a church. But I also feel a little cynicism is a healthy thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts