Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Eight years ago, Tommy was just a skinny kid curled up next to the gate of his cage. He was a German Shepherd and Golden Retriever mix. He gave me that "please take me home" look and I was hooked. He was about 6 months old, had been abused and was caught by animal control 3 days earlier. He was scheduled to be put to sleep the next morning.

The center sent him to my vet to get him "fixed" and I called several times to see how he was doing. When I picked him up and took him home he wouldn't get more that a foot or so away from me. My wife was out of the country for a couple of months so we had some time to really bond together.

Throughout the years we did a lot of things together. He was as smart as a tack and very loving. When I was transfered back to Japan, he went with us. And when I was transfered back here, he came back, just like family. He was the only dog we ever had that was allowed to sleep in our bedroom with us. He was my son, my bud and I loved him a lot.

Tonight, about 8:30pm, he heard something out in the back yard and took off to investigate, as usual. He came back a little sooner than usual, made it just inside the house, laid down and was gone. He was going to be sure he was by our side.

We will miss him a lot. The Vet came and said he just had a heart situation where it was quick, sudden and he went painlessly. Thank God for that.

The house will be lonely for quite a while, but we still have the memories. Take care of you and yours.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Sorry to hear that Greg. Take note of Jody's poem he posted for six. It touches a sensitive nerve with me everytime I read it.

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
well greg, you gave him 8 great years, that he may have never had if you had not come alone. I know that does not ease the pain, but sounds like you gave him a great life.

I am sorry for your loss. And I am glad it went quick, with no suffering. Having just put one of mine down, I know how strange it can feel around the house. It takes time, but it will get easyer. You never forget, but as time goes, you remember just the good times.

Been a bad week for us dog owners, hope we dont have to revisit this in a LONG time.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
3rd loss of a dog in a week.. all sad stories...

sorry to hear Greg.. but that was actually a very nice way for the little guy to go.. in the company of his family...

again theres nothing you can say..
its so tough to lose an animal and a member of the family..
it was nice of you guys to save him and you gave him 8 good years...

very sorry to hear

jp

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Sorry for your loss Greg. It is so strange how we become so attached to an animal like that. Earlier this Spring my Koon hound "Koon Dog" was hit by a car and killed. It was a shock for all of us.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Greg,
Again I am truly sorry to hear the bad news. All we can do is enjoy our time with our friends, human and four legged kind. I am not looking forward to our Springer getting old. She is almost 13 and gettting greyer by the day. She is part of our family, and when the time comes be missed in a big way!

Just remember the good times you had together!

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the kind words,

This is the first morning, and it still hasn't sunk in completely yet. He always slept on his own "sofa" till I got up. He wouldn't leave my side not matter how much my wife called.

I'll try to keep pretty busy today, and your encouragement will help a lot.

Greg

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Greg,

We can all sometimes disagree on ideology, religion, politics & regulations but when comes to something truly meaningful we are all on the same team here. The true class of a person is one is able to rise above differences and reach out and empathize with someone else and help them come to terms with loss and tragedy. I am sorry about your recent loss and I know how animals become so much more than pets. I have 5 dogs and while you kinda take their daily presence for granted sometimes, you certainly miss it -instantly- when they are gone. May you find a sense of peace in your heart knowing that you provided this dog with a second chance at having a good life and in return he gave you the best he had in appreciation for you reaching out and saving him.

Best wishes, Greg.

Andy

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Gerg...

Sorry you lost a friend.
See if you can find some comfort in knowing you and your family
gave him a wonderful life that was full of love.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
So sorry for your loss Greg. Seems to have been a lot of our four-legged family members passing lately. You'll have many good memories to carry with you. My condolences, Hutch

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Sorry for your loss Greg its hard to lose a pet that has become a member of the family.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Greg,
I feel your loss since we had the same thing happen 2 years ago when we lost our 7 year-old Great Pyr Bullwinkle. He was the same friend and companion that your Tommy was only far to big to sleep in our bed (125 lbs.) What we have learn over the years is to enjoy our pets as much as we can for the short time they are with us. You will never be able to completely replace Tommy but you will find the same warm companionship, only in a different but just as wonderful way with your next dog.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Greg,

Sorry to hear about Tommy. You were not only lucky to have a great companion, but he was also fortunate to have a 2nd chance and live in a good home.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Deere Bob: that is very well said... and true..

i think when you lose a dog it hurts the same as when you lose a family member..

I truly believe that i was as sad & broken up to lose my bulldog (suddenly heart attack one night)
as it was to lose my own father... (suddenly heart attack)
I do not say this to belittle my fathers memory or how i cared for him in any way at all....

It was horrible to lose either of them.. but 'Pain and sorrow' is 'pain and sorrow'...

The only thing that is different, is that the animal can be replaced, where a human can not..... please dont think im being heartless here..

After losing my 2nd bulldog i thought, id never find another companion like him... a few years later, i got a boxer who has been just as good a dog as could be...

it really sucks to lose a dog, and in your case it was your only one so you really feel the loss.. quiet house, empty spot where he used to be, the couch or dog bed... Thats the hardest part...

When i lost my 1st bulldog.. she had just had puppies so at least i had the puppies to take my mind off of it.. When i lost the 2nd bulldog there were no other dogs... Thats the toughest..

i do not mean to sound cold here.. and i love my dog more than mostly everyone in my life.. when my boxer dies, I know i would never be able to replace her.. but another dog will become another companion.. not the same.. maybe not as nice.. but the next dog will become an equal member of the family...

when you get your next dog.. you will see.. you will still have the sad spot for tommy.. but your new companion will not let you down...

I feel for you & 6C & Paul... as pet owners we all dread the day when our animals pass.. it sucks...

my thoughts are with all 3 of you..
john p

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SJ, Deere Bob

Your posts make a lot of sense and say a lot that is so true. They have a lot of insight. Thanks for posting them.

Thanks to all.

Greg

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Greg
I know exactly how you feel, Even though we still have five, Nala was the first and a special friend unlike the others.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts