Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to rebuild a 1974 Troy-bilt tiller for my brother. After reassembly and rebuilding the carb on the tecumseh HH70 cast iron engine, I am stumped. The engine starts great, and revs up when I manually operate the throttle shaft. The Troy-bilt throttle cable goes to a lever on the throttle block, and operating the lever doesn't increase engine speed at all. I have enclosed a picture of the linkages (disregard the little spring I attached to experiment). When the handlebar mounted cable doesn't connect directly to the carb---what increases the engine speed ? thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Welcome to the forum. First thing would be to get that extra spring off of the governor. The governor is what causes the engine speed increase as the demand requires it. Also, did you get all the governor rods back in the proper holes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum. First thing would be to get that extra spring off of the governor. The governor is what causes the engine speed increase as the demand requires it. Also, did you get all the governor rods back in the proper holes?
The governor arm has only one mounting hole at the clamp, and the rod is in the hole at the throttle block that it originally was on before I started working on it. The engine only idles when the throttle cable from the handlebars is advanced. Under load it dies.
I rigged an extra cable to pull throttle shaft open, and tiller revs and tills great---it just doesn't work with the stock throttle cable setup from the handlebars ?

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Did you try ad adjust that screw with the spring on it? I think in increases the engine speed, and out decreases it.
There are quite a few great small engine guys on the site that I am sure will come to your rescue.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
how about a photo looking down onto the top of the carby and one of the governor lever on the crankcase.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Start with the basics. 1. Does the carburetor go to wide open when the lever on the handle is moved. On the bracket where it hooks onto should be a spring to do that. If it doesn't you have to inspect the spring, repair or replace the bracket. 2. Notice the linkages appear bent some. Do the linkages move freely? with no binding. 3. Governor adjustment. loosen the screw at the governor arm where it come out of the engine. Now push every thing to wot , retighten screw. If the internal part of the governor is working you should feel a force trying to slow the engine when running. The spring on the throttle bracket tries to get the throttle wide open. The balance between these forces is the speed the engine runs. Just remember the adjust (or you could say synchronize) a governor/carburetor adjust it when everything is wide open. It should move freely to idle when finished. If it doesn't move to idle you adjusted it the wrong way most of all don't start the engine if it won't move. You would get a big bang out of it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts