Tractor Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been involved with several threads on this Forum where people are dealing with Tecumseh engines. Tecumseh made decent engines. Some of their carburetors were a little tricky, but once you got them adjusted right, they ran as good as anything on the market at the time. Unfortunately, Tecumseh itself went out business in 2009. They sold their entire product rights/line and inventory to LCT(Liquid Combustion Technology) and they build the engines today that some people still think are Tecumseh engines. Tecumseh was the only small engine OEM that decided to go with electronic ignition components in the early 70's when they first came out on cars (CDI). Everybody else went with magneto ignition systems. They worked fine at the time, but those units are now over 50+ years old. When they finally fail, there are severely limited options for replacement ignition parts for them and your engine essentially becomes a boat anchor.

I've told this sad story so many times on this Forum that I usually get 1-2 PM's a month where people are asking if they have a Tecumseh engine with hard to find electronic ignition parts. I've decided to post a list of the Tecumseh engines that have electronic ignition components that now have really difficult to find replacement ignition parts and the applications where I've seen them used....

LEV120 --- 6.5HP--- ELECTRONIC PICKUP --- TILLERS, SNOW BLOWERS

LH195SA --- 5HP --- ELECTRONIC PICKUP--- TILLERS, SNOW BLOWERS

LV195EA --- 6HP --- ELECTRONIC PICKUP--- TILLERS, SNOW BLOWERS

OH195EA --- 6HP --- ELECTRONIC PICKUP--- TILLERS, SNOW BLOWERS

OHH50 --- 5HP ---- ELECTRONIC PICKUP--- TILLERS, SNOW BLOWERS

OHH60 --- 6HP --- ELECTRONIC PICKUP--- TILLERS, SNOW BLOWERS

TVM140 --- 6HP --- ELECTRONIC PICKUP--- TILLERS, SNOW BLOWERS

TVM220 --- 8HP --- ELECTRONIC PICKUP--- TILLERS, SNOW BLOWERS

OH120 --- 12HP --- FULL SSI IGNITION --- RIDING MOWERS, GENERATORS

OH140 --- 14HP --- FULL SSI IGNITION --- RIDING MOWERS, GENERATORS

OH160 --- 16HP --- FULL SSI IGNITION --- RIDING MOWERS, GENERATORS

OH180 --- 18HP --- FULL SSI IGNITION --- RIDING MOWERS, GENERATORS

Sears used some of these engines in their riding mowers that Roper built in the 70's, here are the ones I can remember. So if you're looking to buy, or somebody want to give you one of these mowers.... If it don't have spark, it's going to cost $150-$200 just to get blue flame to come out the end of the spark plug on a 45 year old engine

14/6 --- 917.25160 --- OH140 --- 1977
16/6 --- 917.25170 --- OH160 --- 1977
ST16 --- 917.25740 --- OH160 --- 1973-1976

1 - 1 of 1 Posts