Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help.... My tractor died on me while doing some lightweight work. It seemed to be fuel related so i drained the fuel, cleaned the filter and filled with fresh diesel. As is typical sometimes I have to hit the ignition switch a couple of times to get the starter to engage.

The engine did crank but wouldn't start, I thought probably air in the system. I gave it a shot of ether thinking I could push through it but then the engine died. I tried restarting but the engine wouldn't crank, i thought it was the starter not engaging so I installed a new one I had. The starter spins up but the engine still doesn't crank. I then verified the engine would spin by hand and did look at the flywheel for teeth damage when i installed the starter.

I'm thinking i may have damaged the crank, rods or something else, my next step was to spin the crank by hand and see if the flywheel spins - is that possible on this tractor. Any advice or help is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
Good Morning Mike, welcome to the tractor forum.

The starter bendix may not be kicking the starter gear into the flywheel?? Spray some lubricant on the bendix assembly

Also, your battery may be low..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Please help.... My tractor died on me while doing some lightweight work. It seemed to be fuel related so i drained the fuel, cleaned the filter and filled with fresh diesel. As is typical sometimes I have to hit the ignition switch a couple of times to get the starter to engage.

The engine did crank but wouldn't start, I thought probably air in the system. I gave it a shot of ether thinking I could push through it but then the engine died. I tried restarting but the engine wouldn't crank, i thought it was the starter not engaging so I installed a new one I had. The starter spins up but the engine still doesn't crank. I then verified the engine would spin by hand and did look at the flywheel for teeth damage when i installed the starter.

I'm thinking i may have damaged the crank, rods or something else, my next step was to spin the crank by hand and see if the flywheel spins - is that possible on this tractor. Any advice or help is appreciated.

Thanks
Did you replace the starter and the solenoid (sits on top of the starter)? If the solenoid doesn't engage, the starter will spin but won't turn the flywheel. If the teeth are in good shape, the problem is still with the starter, I don't think the engine internals are the problem, they are pretty tuff.

·
Registered
186 Posts
So... same cranking problem with either starter, original or new.
You may want to limit your starting attempts to less than ten seconds, let starter cool, repeat.
Low voltage may spin a starter but doesn't spin it up fast enough to create the centrifugal force needed to extend the starter drive (Bendix) to the flywheel.
I'm leaning away from the "starter drive" or Bendix, since both starters respond the same.
Realizing there was an original issue with repeated cranking attempts via key switch, we can scratch that one if it's resolved with the new solenoid/starter.
#1...Verify starter voltage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you replace the starter and the solenoid (sits on top of the starter)? If the solenoid doesn't engage, the starter will spin but won't turn the flywheel. If the teeth are in good shape, the problem is still with the starter, I don't think the engine internals are the problem, they are pretty tuff.
The starter assembly was replaced (includes the solenoid). Both the old and new starters spin and the bendex extends when checking on the ground with battery cables. The old starter sounds rough and the new one is aftermarket. I'm thinking I may have two bad starters so am getting the original rebuilt. If that doesn't fix it I'm back to square one.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Could just be a bad bedix in starter.

See if you can buy just that part.....ones for Ford starters used too be 20$ +-

No sense rebuilding a whole starter if only the bendix is the issue.
Electrical rebuilds are Ginormously high at the moment.

·
Registered
186 Posts
@thedukes has a great point....
And, it sounds like you've isolated it to the starter drive.
If the starter drive (Bendix) clutch is defective or weak, the drive gear engages the flywheel but is unable to rotate the engine or partially rotates until it kicks back into the starter, away from the flywheel's ring gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts