Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, (I know, how dare I interrupt the run to 10K), who uses synthetic motor oil, synthetic blends or old reliable dino oil.

I use a synthetic blend and have been very pleased with the results thus far. Seems to have solved the Kohler knock.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Deisels

I use Mobile one in my gas road vehicles.I use a delo based oil meant for deisels in all of them.

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
I use Mobil 1 in all my small engines. It also took care of the "Kohler Knock" in my tractor. I'm going to be switching to it in all my cars/motorhome next change.

Greg

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with the Walmart Supertech stuff and it seemed to do the trick. Cheap also when compared to full syns.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Originally posted by leolav
I went with the Walmart Supertech stuff and it seemed to do the trick. Cheap also when compared to full syns.
I run the same in both trucks.
Jody

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jody:

Are using the full syn or the blend. I have been using the blend with good results.

I would guess the price of full syn will tumble soon as more knock offs hit the market.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
The blend

The one in the reddest brown jug wal-mart brand.
Jody

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats the same stuff I buy. I only use it in my mower now. Am thinking about switching over both our work cars. Kinda nervous about trying synthetic in the antiques though. Might screw something up in those old rigs. They might not no what to do with the stuff.

I took my 28 Model A for a spin last night. I had it up to 60mph. That thing runs like a top.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
I'm not totally convinced

synthetics will benefit me in the short duration between oil changes. I think I'll stick with dyno oil for now.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I called several john deere service departements to get their opion on this subject and one guys opion was that what ever you started out with is what you should stick with and not switch to another type of oil. Is there any truth to this.

Adam

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I once read that oil from different companies should not be mixed together when topping off between oil changes on cars. The additives could interact and cause sludge buildup. That was before the syns were available. Since some of the old oil remains after a drain and refill, it's probably best to pick a company and type and stay with it and not make a habit of switching around.

Mark

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Adamr88 and everyone else I just check in my Techinal Manual that my son bought and gave to me early for Christmas and this is what it said.
"Synthetic lubricants may be used in John Deere equipment if they meet the applicable performance requirements (industry classification and/or military specifications) as shown in this manual.

The reccommended air temperature limits and service or lubricant change intervals should be maintained as shown in the operators manual.

Avoid mixing different brands, grades, or TYPES of oil. Oil manufacters blennd additives in their oils to meet certain specifications and performance requirements. Mixing different oils can interfere with the proper functioning of these additives and degrade the lubricant performance."

I guess John Deere answered the question in the tech manual for you.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that it is strange that the JD dealer would say not to switch if you used one or the other. I know that one tech in our area uses only synthetic oil in any reapirs that he does.

I think I will try syn in my next oil change in our vehicles (except the antiques)

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Sorry Leo,

I forgot to include an answer to your original question. The (CV15) Kohler tick occured only twice for a minute or so up to the 5 hr. oil change and has not returned, about 50 hrs. on it now. Using 10W-30 dino all along in the Kohler and 30W dino in the mowers and tiller. One mower is 4 years old and the other mower and tiller are pushing 30 years old, all B&S engines. Using 5W-30 dino in my 98 chevy truck. I'm naturally slow to change my ways. I figure if the new engines are not running in 30 years like the other ones are now, it is not the oils fault anyway. It's a cheap/bad engine design that would have failed no matter what blood was in it's veins.

Mark

·
Registered
70 Posts
You should also notice a differance in cold weather. The synthetic oil flows much better atr lower temps than regular oil. The engine should turn over much faster in cold temps with synthetic.
I use Mobile 1 also.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Adamr88, here is the John Deere "poop" on their synthetic blend 15W-40 Plus 50 and some other oils. I use the 15W-40 Plus 50 in my 4410, Cummins, Sea Ray, and Nissan. Good stuff!

Oils

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by Chief
Argee, I think this thread belongs in the Petroleum, Oils, & Lubricants section doesn't it? :peace:
Good point, I don't think the new section existed when this thread started. I'll move it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts