Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking at getting a trailer for my John Deere B. The trailer I am looking at is a tandem trailer with 3500lb axles. Bumper pull type. It has surge brakes on it.

What do you all recommend as far as brakes? Is surge better then electric or vice versas? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Thanks,

Tau44

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Me i like electric i have used both but i can set the electric brakes when i want them to start to apply and i like that so to me electric is better. But i think you will find that its going to be a personal thing between people.
Jody

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I have trailers with both types of brakes. The electric are nice as you can adjust the sensitivity like Jody said. Surge brakes are simpler to maintain but have a delay from when you apply vehicle brakes until the coupler has compressed enough to apply trailer brakes. In most cases you must install a back up pin brake lock out to back the trailer up a hill. With electric brakes you can also use a battery back up break away kit as well. Some surge set ups have this but not all.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I like electric brakes much better than surge types. I have used surge brakes with bad experiences such as every time I tried to back up the trailer the damb brakes on the trailer would lock up from the hitch pushing instead of pulling against the trailer tongue. Another reason electric brakes are better is that you can apply the trailer brakes only if you want without using tow vehicle brakes.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to mention my preference is for electric brakes for my tractor hauling trailer for the above reasons. johnbron makes some additonal good points. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have had both types over the years but the boat trailer backing into the salt water surge hold up better in the corrosion. Also with surge you can switch tow veichles and still have brakes without having to have a controller.
Rodster

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Backing up with surge brake system with drum brakes should not be a problem if all is working well. The way they are set up, you get very little braking in reverse. Now on a disc system, they have a switch that locks out the hydro pressure when the tow vecails back up lights come on. A MUST have with disc. Anouther advantage with surge is being able to swap from truck, to truck. No worry about needing a controler.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
farmallmaniac,

Not sure if you have read this post but there is some good info. in it. Something you will have to make a decission on with your trailer. Most stated require brakes on a trailer if the weight goes over 3,000 lbs.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Brake controllers don't cost that much. You can get them from about $45 - $150 depending on the model and brand. I got mine for $49 installed it is made by Hopkins Manufacturing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
electric brake controller

I just got a trailer with electric brakes and the controller was $153.00.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts