• other

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • won't watch the game

Votes: 4 22.2%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Whoops! Thought I posted it was an analog sytem. When and if this system poops out or analog C band goes away; I will up date to 4DTV.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Originally posted by leolav
I'm watching it on my 61" Sony big screen in HD. Awesome unit.

Nice leo, But no flatscreen? 61 " almost like being there...do you notice a big difference between HD and regular cable or DVD?

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Hey Chief

We need a post on what HD is.

Simple, The HD(High Definition) tv has to do with the tvs resolution. They are typicall 100 times(lines of resolution) clearer than regular tvs.

Cable can provide high definition signals. DVDs are much clearer on HDTV than on regular tv sets.

Now, there are also HD ready tvs and HDTV monitors....

I guess I'll stop.

Chief, we need info!!!!

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Spike, you guys know more about this than I do. I am content with my standard TV and analog satellite C Band dish. HD TV is just to expensive to be practical for me right now. Maybe later on when the price comes down out of the stratosphere.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HDTV is 1,080 lines of dots from top to bottom of a TV. DVD is 480 lines of dots from the top to bottom. Digital TV, is 480, standard TV is 280 (or something like that).

There is a concept of "i" or "p". "i" being Interlaced(480i), "p" being Progressive (480p). When your TV draws the picture, "i" says to build it one line at a time, but skip every other line and build the whole view in two passes. "P" is the opposite or non-interlaced to computer monitor junkies.

480i is nice
480p is better (except where noted)
540p is usually doubled and called HD, if you double 540, you get 1080i
720 is another variation out there, but not used *very* often.
1080i HDTV

Depending on the type of set you have... the line doubler in it... the size of the power supply... the chipset of the progressive scan DVD, you may not see a difference between a non-progressive (480i) and a progressive scan (480p) DVD. Best places to look, dark pictures or heavily shadowed. Non-P will show a shadow, P will show more detail inside of the shadow. Some would say... BFD

FOX HD, or "Fox widescreen" is really.... 480p. In otherwords, not "HDTV".

CBS has the most content, followed by NBC. Fox and ABC are catching up. Content overall has doubled pretty much every year for the past 5 years.

HD is available from DirecTV, DishNet and even using a standard antenna. The local channels broadcast either non-HD, or both Non-HD and HD. They are on two different channels.

TV either has an HD reciever, or you need to add one. Comcast (in some areas) my cable provider, has a cable box that is the standard digital cable box, but also receives HD content. In this case, you TV must be able to do HD, not necessarily have a HD Receiver in it.

I can go on for hours if you would like... LOL

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Ahh

Chief, I just figured you would have a good link with the information. I have a little knowledge on the subject, but I don't like giving the input unless I'm sure of the terminology and content.

I bought it this past summer, so I read up on it. It's been some months since then, and the information leaves the head in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
If you need to learn the technology one of the best forums
on this subject and any home electronic device take a look at

www.avsforum.com

The funny thing regarding HDTV and the formats of monitors
are the debates that rage on between Plasma, projection, LCD, Direct View (CRT)...they are way more heated than any tractor forum !!

Will be watching with new HD channel added by DirecT TV CBS HD
on a Sony 40" XBR800 direct view with RCA HD reciever

Ducati

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ducati996 --> Cool, a brother Sony'ier. I have the flat 36XBR and a 65XBR RPT. Sony makes good stuff.

Oh, and yes, he is 100% on, the avsforum is the place to go for home theater. If you want to see some wacky conversations about TV's, receivers, speakers, resolutions and stuff... that is the place to go.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Well i have a 52" RCA projection HD monitor and the picture is great can look at it from any angle and see it clear. I will wait awhile before i change my Direct TV box out for the HD one when the prices go down some. Heck i spend most of my time on here and not watching tv.:smiles:
Jody

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I was impressed with the CBS HD feed on Direct TV...i was expecting it to be on the soft side, but it was crisp and detailed...

It was very nice along with the Dolby Digital 5.1 with the live acts especially, plus the game was a good one, no blow out.

Janet's breast was very titillating and very mocha -YUM ! YUM!

Ducati

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Duc, how was the definition on Janet Jacksons right boob:question: :question: :question: Did the HDTV bring out the details in the tastle:question: :whistle: :whistle: :idea: :smiles: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts