Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a rehash of my Sunday driving this weekend:

We happened to drive up to Dinner Bell yesterday (McComb, MS) for lunch and then drove back down I-55 then shot over Highway 10 towards Greensburg just for kicks. It has been a long time since I took Hwy-10 to BR so I decided to check it out. We drove through Greensburg, and a few other towns and stopped in Clinton, LA. They had a nice little antique shop there right across from the court house. (nice town with some historical buildings -- seems to have been around for about 200 years now) The antique shop was nice but I found the store clerk to be extremely rude and gruff (unusual in my experience as a antique shopper) This little store specialized mostly in small antique farming collectibles (hinges, pulleys, chains, traps, axe blades -- you know the type)

Then we drove to Jackson, LA and then got on 965 towards St. Francisville and Oakley Plantation. We stopped at "The Bluffs" (exclusive wealthy golf community -- so that my wife could entertain her hidden desires for vanity & grandeur for the moment and forget about our humble country abode and land) -- HAHAHAHA and then we drove on to Oakley Plantation. We had been here several times before and we enjoyed this return visit. This time due to the overcast weather it was more quiet, surreal and inviting. I guess you lose some of the "charm" when you have 300 people tramping about in front of you. ;) --- We went late and got to see some of the "private activites" such as getting to help put away the farm animals, see private rooms in the main house, etc. (my kids loved the animal round-up) --- Of course, I have pictures of Oakley from times past and a dozen or so from this visit --- but each time it is a little more unique.

So, it was fun. Didn't buy anything from the antique shops and I am still looking for some better ones in LA? Anyone got any favorites in Louisiana?

Well, thanks for letting me ramble on ----
Andy
:pedro:

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
You were close

You wasnt to far from me Andy im not to far from Clinton. Should have stop by and say hello.:hello: Glad yall had a good time.
Jody

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, well, well...didn't know how close I came to greatness! :D Thanks for inviting! I guess I should have figured out you were nearby when I saw TRACTORFORUM.COM written all over the highway signs.... :D

Andy

Hey, that's a good idea! :idea:
:smiles:

Get to it!

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
OK Boss

How about i go paint some barns roofs that say (SEE tractorforum.com) like Rock City did.:smiles: It work for them:winky:
Jody

·
Registered
112 Posts
We make a round like that once in a while to get away. Ponchatoula is called Antique City, but I find their antiques quite expensive.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, Ponchatoula is a nice mecca for antiques but they know it and therefore they are not really bargain places to shop IMHO.
For example, yesterday I found many items in Clinton's Antique shop for like $2.00-$10.00 --- In Ponchatoula you cannot buy anything for less than $20 --- no matter what. There is absolutely no bargains for small, simple farming stuff (the stuff I love!)
They got eyes only for this :money: :money: :money:

Andy
:lucky: to find a good deal these days! :D

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Where

Andy where in McComb is the Dinner Bell i have never seen a sign and i go that way once a month. I have ate at one a long time ago about 30 years ago didn't know they were still around.:eat:
Jody

1 - 7 of 7 Posts