Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I bought a D 15 II that had the head removed and then parked in the weather for 3 years. What's everyone's favorite method for freeing up things. The previous owner had the cylinders filled with Rislone, and I filled them with tranny fluid.

Suggestions?
JimD

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am not a port in the storm when it comes to freein up stuck engines. I very seldom buy a tractor that is not stuck. When I decide it is time to work on one I get the engine out and stripped with the head off the first thing, second thing is get the crankshaft out, Then I get the pistons out the quickest way I can.
The ones (tractors) that the seller says that they is (lightly stuck??) At least two of the cylinder walls will have pits that I can hide my pocket change. The valves and seats on those same pistons will have pits in them as well even if they ain froze fast. The stick because water gets in them. I like to get them apart in a coupla hours and go buy parts rather that putter around for weeks and then try to figgure out why it has low compression an smokes when it starts to run, and then take it all apart and go buy parts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Getting rid of weathered problems

Jim:
Somewhere else I recommended that people try the following:
KROIL or SILI-KROIl and KREEN from kano labs. www.kanolabs.com and pour/soak the rusty parts in Kroil, fill the gas and oil with Krren -- you will be shocked at how well this stuff works.

In fact I had a rusted manifold bolt that would NOT come off with WD-40 and the valve could NOT be moved w/o breaking it.

Some friend of mine said here try this. Which I did, and within one hour the bolt came off easily.

I also had one on my car wheel lugs that were so rusted from the road-salt that it could not be remove - BIG guys could not remove it with torque wrenches. We did NOT want to break the wheel.
Put some Kroil on it and within about 10-15 minutes it became loose and were able to remove it w/o breaking it.

I think you may want to try some in your shop! :D :)

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I agree with deer180 Kroil is the best thing pour it in and let it set and they will come out fairly easy.
Jody

·
Registered
977 Posts
i have used kroil a lot with great results everytime .it also helps to use a little heat. i fill the block with water and use a circulating engine heater.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's free!

It's amazing the kind of suggestions I got. I tried many. Time was the best tool though.
Much pounding and then honing finally released them.

Tomorrow, I will start reassembling the engine!
JimD

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
stuck

PB blaster in a spray can -- it smeel sterrible butit willeat thru most any rust and then convert it to something slick to move-- much betterthan wd-40 or standard penetratingoil--

1 - 7 of 7 Posts