Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My friends 4 week old computer is not booting up sometimes.
It says it is missing a file( system 32 or something) If I hit controll
alt delete a couple of times it will work. When it won't boot it says that the file needs to be reinstalled form the disk.
I ran the restore back to August 4th but it is the same. It seems to me that if the file it needs is missing it would never boot, but then I don't know that much. Would running scandisk
help? If it does I forgot how to find it.
Rodster

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
you on XP?
doubt if scandisk would help if you have a corrupt file.. but strange that it boots sometimes... scandisk: under my computer right clcik on the C drive then properties... tools.. scan disk is there.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Originally posted by Rodster
Hi
My friends 4 week old computer is not booting up sometimes.
It says it is missing a file( system 32 or something) If I hit controll
alt delete a couple of times it will work. When it won't boot it says that the file needs to be reinstalled form the disk.
I ran the restore back to August 4th but it is the same. It seems to me that if the file it needs is missing it would never boot, but then I don't know that much. Would running scandisk
help? If it does I forgot how to find it.
Rodster
Did he get a new virus-scanner with it? did he set it up to automatically update, and to scan daily? It sounds like a virus.
No, scandisk is unlikely to help.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
scandisk won't help. You need to do a system repair where it compares system files on the disk compared to the CD. Then after that, do a windows update. I don't remember off the top of my head how to do that with XP. It sounds like you have a corrupted DLL or something. The other option is to write down the DLL/EXE that is reported and replace it yourself from another system.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My friend just called. He is really hot. He said he is ready to destroy the PC. I told him to go and watch TV. Now it won't boot at all and is asking for the boot disk. He does not have one unless he got one with it. I make a floopy boot for mine but his does not have a floopy drive. I may have to just restore the whole thing but I hate to do that.
Rodster

·
Registered
499 Posts
Originally posted by Rodster
My friend just called. He is really hot. He said he is ready to destroy the PC. I told him to go and watch TV. Now it won't boot at all and is asking for the boot disk. He does not have one unless he got one with it. I make a floopy boot for mine but his does not have a floopy drive. I may have to just restore the whole thing but I hate to do that.
Rodster
If it's not a virus, it's probably a file needed by something that is statring automatically on boot. Usually what happens with a missing file message and a situation where some boots fail but some succeed is that on some boots the starting programs fail in a different order, occupy different resources, and thus cause different actions. Probably, a program he downloaded and installed overwrote some of the code for an earlier program which auto-starts.

To solve this, decide if he has anything valuable on the machine - if it's data, you could attach the drive to your machine as a slave, boot off yours, and save a copy. If it's not valuable, just restore.

If you decide you need to salvage it, boot and hit the 3 finger salute when it hangs (ctrl-alt-del).

Try to get it to boot in safe mode! If you can't, Close all of the programs which have started up such as VPTray, realsched, qttask, acrord32, defwatch etc which are not part of windows.

Once you get it to boot, remove everything from Start-Programs -Startup, clear ou t everything from the registry key HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run and reset anything like kazaa to not start automatically

Then Reboot and see if it comes up OK. If it does, start running the programs which you killed above to see which one doesn't work correctly. You see the pattern by now, i think....

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Jim
Thanks for the tips. I just talked to him and he said a friend is coming over thursday to fix it. ( we hope ). If not I think I will just run restore as he does not have anything worth saving on it.
Rodster

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
If it is asking for a boot disk, it basically is unable to either access the hard drive at all or it is missing the boot files. Since it was partially booting earlier and it is now getting worse, I'm guessing that the harddrive is dieing... who it has officially just died.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Then do I need to have a funeral for the hard drive ? How deep do I have to bury it or can I have it creamated ( spelling?)
Rodster
PS..it is kinda funny. My friend is 57 and never has had a computer or even used one. Now after only having one for 3 or 4 weeks it is a major problem when it does not work. HA HA

·
Registered
664 Posts
Does the computer boot at all? Can you get into the BIOS (usually by pressing delete)? If so you can set the CD/DVD drive as the primary boot device, then you put the XP CD in & reboot the computer. After you've gotten past the BIOS screen the computer should recognize the CD & give you the option to do a REPAIR on the existing installation. Select that option, once completed you may have to reinstall many windows updates.

Hope this helps,
Angel

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi
My friend has somebody coming over today to try and fix it. I am going to let the other guy mess with it. It does boot sometimes at least it used to. the only way I know how to get it going is to do a complete reinstall. I already did a restore back to august 4th that was when it was still running good but it did not help.
Thanks for the tips
Rodster

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
downloadin :rolleyes: :cry: :cpu: :dazed:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was over at my friends. His computer friend said that the computer did not recognize the hard drive. He checked and all the paremitars for the hard drive are gone. He took the readings from the hard drive and is putting them back in. I had to leave so I don't know if they got it up or not yet.
Rodster

1 - 15 of 15 Posts