Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 nylone tie down rachets each rated for around 850 lbs. which should be plenty. Where do you guys suggest attaching them to my lawn tractor?

Thanks,

Adam

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Lightweight straps like that may keep your tractor from bouncing around on the trailer, but they won't keep it on the trailer if you get into an accident. There's a lot of force applied against those straps in a roll-over or front / rear collision. If there's any damage caused from an un-secure load, you will be responsible for the damage even if the accident was not your fault.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
An LX277 is listed as weighing 487 lbs.; 560 for the AWS. In practice you want to be able to reasonably restrain a load in a collision scenario, so figure at least 4 gs. This would require the capacity to restrain about 2,000 lbs. in any direction. I would suggest using 4 straps; one on each corner of the tractor at some substantial point such as axle or other part of frame. Using a rounded weight of 500 lbs. figure 2,000 lbs. restraining capacity. 4 of the rachet straps you have tied down as described should be conservatively safe and adequate to hold the tractor in place with a little fudge factor. Better safe than sorry. :thumbsup: Make sure the straps are all snug but not over kill. This may seem like over doing it, in a sudden stoppage the tractor can become a missle with incredible energy. In a severe impact; even these measure would not be able to hold it but let's stay within reason.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I use 4 of the straps.[OK, not always, but most of the time] I attach two to each side of the axle housing in the rear, and eash front one, wrapped around each side of the axle, then to the frame.

I probably get a little more safty in the back, becouse I strap one hook to the trailer, wrap a few times around the axle horn, that the other hook back to the trailer.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by Chief
An LX277 is listed as weighing 487 lbs.; 560 for the AWS. In practice you want to be able to reasonably restrain a load in a collision scenario, so figure at least 4 gs. This would require the capacity to restrain about 2,000 lbs. in any direction. I would suggest using 4 straps; one on each corner of the tractor at some substantial point such as axle or other part of frame. Using a rounded weight of 500 lbs. figure 2,000 lbs. restraining capacity. 4 of the rachet straps you have tied down as described should be conservatively safe and adequate to hold the tractor in place with a little fudge factor. Better safe than sorry. :thumbsup: Make sure the straps are all snug but not over kill. This may seem like over doing it, in a sudden stoppage the tractor can become a missle with incredible energy. In a severe impact; even these measure would not be able to hold it but let's stay within reason.
Oh....my....God.....I just wanted to bring the tractor in from the back 40...:lmao:

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
MowHoward can i get one of those i need to put my wife in it for awhile.:smiles: :lmao: :lmao:
Jody

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Originally posted by jodyand
MowHoward can i get one of those i need to put my wife in it for awhile.:smiles: :lmao: :lmao:
Jody
Jody, You need to contact the ever-so-humble Tractorguy. He is the sole maker and user of this equipment. Unfortunately his Wisconsin hotties are not included. :sick:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Originally posted by Argee
I hope she wasn,t looking over your shoulder as you typed that!:eek:
My thoughts exactly!

Now back to the original question: I use a 10k lbs strap across the transmission tunnel, and another on across the area betw my bucket and loader arms on my FEL. That was on the advice from my dealer. I make sure the bucket and deck are down, and, of course, have the parking brake on. We're talking about 2000 lbs with 2210, FEL & 62" deck, and I know that's considerably more than the LX277. I might put on some additional straps after reading some of the posts.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
I do ther wrong thing.. I use 4 chalk blocks and secure the blocks in place... it works ok, but if i were going far id add the ties... around the frame and to the trailer...

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Me i just pull it up till the front wheel are hitting the front and tie a rope around it from the front around the the back and back to the front.
Jody

1 - 15 of 15 Posts