Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend brought his pc by.. he uses windows XP home Sv pk 1.

He has 1 user set up on the pc.. but after bootup it went to a network looking logon not the typical windows XP where you select your user.. it was more like logging onto windows 2000 where you put in user and password at a domain style validation screen. none of his passwords worked. whenever i tried to log on as admin or as a user.. i got a message saying the domain 'TIM' was not available.

I used a pgm called locksmith.. it booted up and showed the available users and his original user was not even listed as a user. The strange thing, is he has no network at his house.. no domain even set up.. Its like it reverted back to a windows NT or Win 2K type of logon...

I ended up doing a repair and after the repair his normal windows XP came back up

Any thoughts on this? is there some sort of a corrupt file i was at a loss as to what to even check.. and even if i did.. none of the users or passwords were valid..

This has happened to him 5 or 6 times he said...
Im considering a complete wipeout of XP and reinstalling clean..

any ideas Tis or Andy or any other pc weenies??

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Was his machine ever on a network? The login prompt he was getting sounds like some kind of network client such as Novell or something of the like.

It's probably a typical windoze problem: No plausible explanation, no workable solution other than to wipe the drive clean and reinstall the OS. Something I've never had to do on the 5 Macs I've owned. I'm I a big help or what? :furious: :furious: :furious:

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Hey Mow:D Remember this thread.:furious:

MAC CRASH

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no not on any network just a home pc.. but its like it reverted back to some sort of domain login...

another windows mystery... When longhorn comes out That will never happen again

ooops thats what they said about XP:furious: :furious: :furious:

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
If the PC logged into a network at one time, it will/could cache the domain account information in his profile. If the domain account is cached, you can actually log into that account (like you were on the network), but only really be using the cached profile. If you use the drop down on the domain to log into the actual machine account, it will use a different profile.

As for why an XP fliped and started to look like Win 2K, it was probably something in the profile... probably.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts