Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
l have been try all l know you get these pics you jpeg but can't can any one change them for me if l post them here thanks

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
:furious: :furious: :furious:

Careful, Tom...

Some ill-informed just might believe that jealous blubbering! :naah: :naah: :naah:

:duh:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Originally posted by Keweenaw4310
MAC!!!!! RUN!!!!

He's going to try to MACinate those images. They may end up containing subliminal messages. Look away, look away! Don't do it, just retreat to your Windows XP happy place and pretend MACs don't exist.
D*mn! The jig is up! :lmao:

Mowhoward2210 - TF Member, MACinater

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
jbetts,

Got the pics.....Jeeeeze...3.9 Megs each! I'm working on downloading them to convert. Are you trying to use them on your web site? How 'bout some more details for the guys here.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
3.9 MEG comes down through broadband internet in a handful of seconds. Unless you have a MAC.

I shouldn't bash MACs. I bought about 40 MACs of various sizes in the mid to late 90's. Most cost over $4000.00 each and some closer to $6000.00 - two of them were over $12,000.00 because of the Intel add in emulator boards & software. The executives liked them but wouldn't quit messing around with adding cute stuff to them. I spent more time messing with these few MACs than I spend managing the other 500 Windows/DOS based machines in the company which were costing about 1600.00 each at the time.

I finally donated ALL MACs to local schools. I finally talked the Executive team into moving away from these dreaded things. Had them in a complex environment of mainframe communications, internet, networking with other computers, Lotus Notes communications and even hardware add in boards that ran Windows 95/98.

They were trying to get the MACs to talk to an IBM compatible banking world. It was like jamming a round peg in a sqare hole.

When the MAC finally chokes on the images and smoke starts arising from the ergonomically shaped & color coordinated case, let me know I'll get those files downloaded sized and converted for you.
I'm assuming you formulated your opinion from Mac OS9 and pre-OS9. That would be like a Mac OSX user comparing OSX to Windows 98 or Windows 95. I found Mac OS 9 to be a little more stable than Windows 98, but it (OS9) definitely had it's quirks.

No, my 5 year old 400 mhz iMac does not choke on images. I usually have 3-6 programs running, and it runs fine. Occasionaly it will get a little sluggish when running Photoshop while listening to music, and rendering video can also be a little slow. Fact is, I was able to edit video easily 5 years ago straight out of the box with no extra hardware or software on what was then the bottom of the line Macintosh. So no, contrary to what you think, my machine isn't a POS like you infer, and neither are the 5 other Macs I have purchased. :D

·
Registered
664 Posts
Tom,

Just like you should 'dis' someone's kids or tractors... don't start on their Macs either.
:furious:
It's almost as bad as trying to convert a Dem to Bush's side.
:dazed:

-=A=-

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Originally posted by CatDaddy
Tom,

Just like you should 'dis' someone's kids or tractors... don't start on their Macs either.
:furious:
It's almost as bad as trying to convert a Dem to Bush's side.
:dazed:

-=A=-
You could just as easily substitute the word Macs with PC's, too, Angel. ;)

·
Registered
664 Posts
IIRC, you said that someone sent you the pictures that they scanned.

What file format are the pictures in?

-=A=-

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
jbetts,

You have mail. Check them out and let me know if you want them re-sized.

As far as the Mac, I am on a dial-up with a "not the best" line. It is NOT the computer.

People who make a living fixing Windows crap has no choice to badmouth a MAC. It's called trying to justify their job!! :furious: :furious: :furious:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Originally posted by Greg
jbetts,

You have mail. Check them out and let me know if you want them re-sized.

As far as the Mac, I am on a dial-up with a "not the best" line. It is NOT the computer.

People who make a living fixing Windows crap has no choice to badmouth a MAC. It's called trying to justify their job!! :furious: :furious: :furious:
You wont see too many computer consultants getting wealthy recommending Macs. :lmao:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Originally posted by MowHoward2210
You could just as easily substitute the word Macs with PC's, too, Angel. ;)
Yeah, I know. I used to be a smug Mac user back in the Win3.x & Win95 days... I still have that Mac Classic (w/ 2Megs RAM & a 40 MB harddrive!). It makes a great doorstop. LOL!!

I just couldn't stomach the capital outlay for contemporary high-end Mac products. I built a whip-a$$ machine for <$800 when similar pre-built machines were ~$1,500 (monitor not included).

-=A=-

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Yeah, I know. I used to be a smug Mac user back in the Win3.x & Win95 days... I still have that Mac Classic (w/ 2Megs RAM & a 40 MB harddrive!). It makes a great doorstop. LOL!!

I just couldn't stomach the capital outlay for contemporary high-end Mac products. I built a whip-a$$ machine for <$800 when similar pre-built machines were ~$1,500 (monitor not included).

-=A=-
But can you buy a whip-a$$ PC for <$800 off the shelf Dell, Gateway, etc.,? If you look at it in those terms, then Apple's machines aren't priced too bad, They don't compete in the bargain basement computer world. They are more than an assembler of parts, ala Dell, as they put a lot of R&D into hardware and their software.

Now I'll give you the fact that the availability and selection of parts to build a high performance to cost machine is great. It is also a cool hobby for those who like to build there own or for other people. You will most likely spend more on a Mac to equal that performance. A competent assembler and OS savvy user probably will have few, if any, problems. And that's great and I totally respect that. I would like to go that route, but at this time I don't need another hobby to be obsessed with. I just want to take it out of the box and use it, knowing that the tightly integrated hardware and software will also have few, if any, problems. That and the fact I prefer OSX to XP. :peace:

·
Registered
664 Posts
A top of the line PC (PCI-E, DDR2, SATA only, w/high end gaming vid-card) would set you back $3-4000 from Dell or a bit more from Alienware. But that's bleeding edge hardware for no appreciable performance gain (except super-pretty gaming = 4xAA & 8xAF and screen resolutions of 1600x1200). How many people really need that? And I could still build a similar machine for <$2000.

I guess I really need to try out an OS-X machine so I can compare Apples to... umm... XPs. LOL!

-=A=-

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
A top of the line PC (PCI-E, DDR2, SATA only, w/high end gaming vid-card) would set you back $3-4000 from Dell or a bit more from Alienware. But that's bleeding edge hardware for no appreciable performance gain (except super-pretty gaming = 4xAA & 8xAF and screen resolutions of 1600x1200). How many people really need that? And I could still build a similar machine for <$2000.

I guess I really need to try out an OS-X machine so I can compare Apples to... umm... XPs. LOL!

-=A=-
The top of the line dual processor Power Mac G5 costs 3K. Even more if you upgrade the HD and ram (up to 8gig DDR SDRAM). I don't need that, but it would be nice to have!

I'll reiterate that what a do-it-yourselfer such as yourself is able to configure has the best price to performance ratio compared to what you can buy off the shelf, no contest.

Maybe someday I will contract you to build me a hotrod gaming machine. :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
8 Gig of RAM!?! Wowsers. Most AMD machines -my current preference- are limited to 3GB & Intel boxes have a 4 GB limit (servers and dual-processor rigs excluded). Can't imagine how much faster my video rendering would be with 8GB of RAM. I'd probably be limited by HD/burner speed at that point.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
8 Gig of RAM!?! Wowsers. Most AMD machines -my current preference- are limited to 3GB & Intel boxes have a 4 GB limit (servers and dual-processor rigs excluded). Can't imagine how much faster my video rendering would be with 8GB of RAM. I'd probably be limited by HD/burner speed at that point.
I can't fathom what buying 8 gigs of RAM would do to my wallet! Especially if I bought it from Apple! :eek:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Yes, Mow you pegged me right on that one. I formulated my opinion during the OS8 days. Back then it really was tough to support MACs in a banking, communications & primarily Windows at the time, environment. All specialized banking applications were for Windows.

Our print shop guy loved his MAC and still does with OS8. He doesn't get into anything banking related though. he's a graphic artist & print equipment operator.

Not "dissing" (is that a gansta word?) anyone's machine in a bad way, just joking around. I know some people are as partial to their PC operating environment as others are to their tractors.

Most of the expense of the MACs we did buy were to make them Windows compatible using the technology available at the time + no expense was spared for the executives that needed to have the best desktop & the best laptop machines.

Back then, if I wanted to triple my workload, I would have populated every office with a MAC.

Today, you MAC users can fill me in on what the MAC world is like. I don't have a real clue.
Today's Macs are pretty compatible to the PC (Windows) World, Tom. I use WIN2K and XP at work. Personally, I prefer Mac OSX as an OS, but maybe it's just because it is what I am used too. Most Windows users will find the OSX file system confusing. I understand it, and get around in it just fine, but I would have a hell of a time explaining it! OSX does have a lot of little features that make it attractive, though. XP and OSX basically do the same things, and both do most things well.

You do pay a premium for the hardware, in some sense. The styling is cool, and I admit I'm a sucker for the designs.:nerd:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts