Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there...have had ford 9ns 2ns and 8ns never had this issue. Sometimes when I go to start the 8n I have to temporarily put a jumper from coil to positive battery side to start. If the key is on after this it will turn off afterward and then restart all day without the initial jump. I had to recently replace the resistor as I would have to jump across it from time to time to start. After replacement she fired up every time all summer. Now having this issue. I am confused.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Garylou: If you know that the electrics to the ignition system is good, such as voltages to the coil when starting, you may have a compression problem. When the motor has cooled off overnite, the oil around the piston rings drains down, there letting compression drop. To test for this, remove the spark plugs while the engine is cold. Squirt a shot or two of motor oil in each cylinder. Hit the starter and let it turn over a couple of times, letting the oil get to the rings. Then replace the plugs and try to start it without your jumper wire to the coil. You may find that it starts more easily. Remember, try this only when you are sure the voltage to the coil is up to snuff when cold. Good luck.
Sheenist

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Shennist, perhaps I am not describing it correctly. There is no problem in starting the tractor at all if you occasionally have to jump to coil. The thing fires up almost before you can let go of the starter button. If I always temporarily jump it it starts every time. I don't have a compression problem. The issue seems to be that for some reason there seems to be a temporary lack of juice to coil. ( Maybe). Battery is good and fully charged. It's not the end of the world or anything and I can start the machine very easily anytime ...after sitting all night or for days and weeks. I was just wondering if anyone else had this ever happen. It's just kinda wierd.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks sixbales...but battery is installed correctly. One would actually have to work at connecting it backwards as the size of the posts would give one a problem and you'd have to either move the cables or expand the posts or something. And yes it is all original 6 volt negative ground.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
The original system was 6V positive ground. Yours has been switched around somewhere in its history.

One thing to check is the polarity of the coil in the circuit. With a negative ground, the coil input terminal would be the (+) terminal of the coil. And the wire from the coil to the distributor would be connected to the (-) terminal of the coil.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sixbales. there is one connection on top of an original 6 volt front mount coil. The negative side of the system feeds it. I obviously didn't make it clear this was a very recent problem. This tractor has ran consistently the same for the last 10 years given regular maintenance. I would have to disagree with you on the statement that the "original system was 6V positive ground". Just say'in

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oops I read that wrong...thought you meant negative. I apologize for the ignorance....senility creeping in on me I guess...but there is still only one wire feeding coil. Recent problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts