Tractor Forum banner

Spx 42 inch. How can I get gas tank to fill up faster? Takes about 10 minutes.

1K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  Bob Driver 
#1 ·
Any way to get gas tank to fill faster??! Takes forever.

#2 ·
WELCOME to the forum, glad to have you here! Are you filling from a can? Put a larger diameter spout on it and increase the size of the air vent in the can. If you're filling it from a pump, I have no suggestions

#5 ·
I am going to guess that this is some type of vapor barrier that they have to put in there to comply with some BS EPA reg.......My personal opinion is that you could remove this and not cause any problems but, I have no facts to back this up........I know what I would do but it might cause issues with the mower.......LOL........I would take knife and cut a hole in that white crap large enough to stick a gas can nozzle in it......

#7 ·
And I agree, how many times has the barrier caused you to overflow the fill spout with fuel running outside of the tank?, if you can remove all or some of the barrier, then do it, keeping in mind to try and not let any of the barrier fall into the tank, this may cause a blockage eventually, but then most mower tanks have a screen at the outlet.

Fred, don't tell me that you would not do the same thing as I would on this problem........LOL......Just because you are an Aussie don't mean that you can't still be a ***.......LOL
Of course I would unsquidly, I was writing a reply as you was writing yours, I agree, with what we have to live with is BS, and this is becoming more obvious with the EV motor vehicles, just wait and see the problems that these will bring.

So Jim, go for it, my Dixon has a 5" diameter fill spout and straight into the tank, no barriers, no nothing, why have a barrier in your fill neck?, just hope you can remove some or most, make sure it is not a support piece for that part of the tank, that was the reason for asking for a photo to get an idea of where it was situated.

#11 ·
I have a dislike for trying to work Ipads and Iphones, I use both for taking photos and transferring to my Desktop, and making phone calls, learnt how to take a screen shot on iphone the other day, but that is as far as that will go, I prefer the Desktop to work with, and recently I upgraded the monitor to a 40" TV screen, and this is great for youtube and out of the blue videos that may appear on news items and facebook.

#13 ·
I got rid of my cell phone over a year ago. FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!! I take pictures with an old digital camera and then pop the memory card into my 'puter to pull the images off. Yeah, it sounds like a clunky way to do it, but it works VERY well with my tech skill level. 😁

#16 ·
It seems to be under or around. That piece is so wide I can see the edges. I thought of punching holes in it, but a little unsure. Tried a gas can with spout removed. It helped a little. Hate the new gas cans. Except for the gas tank and the lack of cutting height, it's a well made tractor. My deck scraped on my ramp which is angled. Old tractor had higher deck. Thanks.

#17 ·
Just wondering if you bought this mower new or second hand, if second hand, I would say the plug is a bodgie up to hold the fuel cap cord, does it look like that? the first photo to me looks like an aerosol can cap.

If it not attached to the tank, then remove it, if the cord is attached to it, then we can design another tank cap retainer with a piece of fencing wire or even fuel tolerant plastic that will do the same job.

#23 ·
My wife had a used car with a similar flapper in the gas tank. Sometimes it would take 20 minutes or longer to put in 10 gallons of gas. The dealer said it was a "safety" feature, that if the car were ever turned over, the gas couldn't leak out of the neck. That plus several other quality control issues caused us to trade it in after a year. We hated that car with a passion by the time we got rid of it.

#25 · (Edited)
OK..... Some genius at the EPA, or in California, came up with this BS idea to prevent refueling vapors from adding to "climate change". Same idiot probably thought the sole tiny tank vent should be through the cap. I take it the gas can nozzle is supposed to depress this flap during refilling? It sounds to me like the nozzle size on your fuel can may be to big of a diameter to allow the tank to vent the tank air volume fast enough to give you the fill flow rate you want.

If I'm right and the tank only vents through the cap..... I'd just pick an appropriate spot and drill the right size hole in the tank and install one of these push-in/lock "roll-over" vents They're designed to keep fuel from escaping a fuel tank through the tank vent opening in a situation where you unfortunately have the "dirty side" up, or on it's side. It'll for sure give a way for the tank air volume to vent other than around the gas can nozzle and that stupid flap...... To get it to seal tight and not leak, it uses the seal listed in the 2nd link

Dorman Rollover Fuel Tank Vent

Tank Vent Seal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.