Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a tire off my split rim.(left rear) i got the rims split but cant get the tire off the rim. Where can i go to get this taken off? Its on a honda odyssey fl250. anyone remember those? this is also a school project:D

:peace:

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Originally posted by farmallmaniac
I need to get a tire off my split rim.(left rear) i got the rims split but cant get the tire off the rim. Where can i go to get this taken off? Its on a honda odyssey fl250. anyone remember those? this is also a school project:D

any tire place should be able

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my teacher offered but i talked to the kids and they said he frequently ruined tires lol so i gotta find a place. C&S?

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
call your local farm service place -- they all offer fuel, and road service on tires such as yours -- you can pay for it?

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Split rims as in two identical wheel halfs or a full wheel with a snap in rim to retain the tire. I have already deflated a tire/wheel assembly and use my pickup truck and edged up on the tire and worked my way around it pushing the tire off the wheel. It works just be carefull you do not get on the rim. This method works fine for one piece wheels also. If its a split rim with a locking rim whatever you do just make sure its in a cage or chained securely to a tree incase the rim comes off during inflation. I do the same for the two piece wheels, after seeing what a Blackhawk helicopter 2 peice wheel did to a fellows arms and jaw when the bolts broke that held the halfs together. He was only doing the intial inflation when it failed and it almost cost him bothhis arms, and jaw and face out of the deal and it only had about 50 psi in it. Hate to think what it would have done if it had the full inflated pressure in it when it let go. So secure a two piece wheel with some chain wrapped around it and secure it to a tree or heavy stand, and inflate it from the stand side or tree side. AFter seating the bead deflate it and reinflate it to the proper pressure and let it set for a bit, before unsecuring it from the tree and chain and mounting it. There is a ot of enbergy in a split rim or two piece wheel and all it takes is a rim or bolt to fail to cause you problems.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts

My Gravelys have a two peice rim on them, and last time I changed a tire it was also stuck on. I ended up just using a pry bar to unstick the tire bead from the rim. It was just kinda glued on from rust.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
yah farmall == your local farm co-op will be a good place to start -- and let them do it even if you think you can get it done-- I knew a school bus driver killed about 5 years back- he had changed split rim tires for years and still managed to get killed when it let go - had his whole face and skull crushed in - only took a split second

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I looked up to see what an Odysee was and its a type of go cart or small dune buggy type vehicle. I assume it uses bolts and nuts to secure both wheel halves together, so it would actually be a split wheel not a split rim, as used by turcks and busses etc. They are still a potentially dangerous item to inflate, and I would recomend either replacing all the fasteners in the wheel or at a minimum give them a good going over, and reject any that are stretched, nicked or rusted, and still secure a chain around it and to a immoveable object before inflating, if you decide to do it yourself. On assembly just do not over torque the fasteners.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
how do i know when i got em tight enough. and yeah i got the 78 model:D not many of em look like that one

I am a little famlier with the Odaseys. I know the early ones had like a plastic tub like body, and the later went to a cage type body like a sand buggy. What style do you have? They are REAL hard to find, and sell for big $$$$ when you do. Kinda suprised they are not more poplur.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts