Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went over "there" to check out things and BAM! no account for andy_cajun exists on that site anymore. Plus my IP has been banned (not that it matters) ;) --- but I think it is cold, rude and reckless of him to do such a thing. I have not attempted to post in weeks and then I get erased. Funny, he still has an account here and seemed to discuss some important issues here. I guess it was all a ploy to get more info on his competition. You know what I say heck with it.

Tractorguy, do me a favor and let em know I think it was a [email protected]#[email protected] way of doing business. This is --- after all a place for the community --- for the people ----

Well, I guess we will have to see who wins out in this race, Mr. Spikey.. Spike, I invite your personal reply. :)

Thanks.
Andy

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I just don't understand it. I would say most of us visit more then one forum board. Whats the big deal if you talk about anouther one????

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess it was a little too much for him..

too close for comfort? Felt threatened?

Simply an arrogant admin?

Who knows?

:D

Andy

·
674 Posts
search engine

I have not been able to find this forum by using any search engines. I use altavista & ask .
I think that this forum has a great layout but if people can't find it then it could die. I found out about this forum from the posts on the other lawn tractor forum, which I found with a search engine.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep --- working on that --- :)

I am working on that aspect of things....

Will post an update soon! Remember, that while it is very important for me to get this to grow and grow quickly...It is all being personally bankrolled so time will tell. ;)

Thx!
Andy

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
There is a post in the tractor forum on garden web that asks him some questions. No answer from him yet. At least here if you ask an admin question we know you are lurking around somewhere and will answer as soon as you can. Sleep is an important thing! The only way I knew about spike is lurking on some of the furums for a while and seeing his name mentioned.

On another note is there a spell checker that I have not found?????:rolleyes:

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Disney

So did he send you to Disney or he just delete you.:D
Jody

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
In Spike's defence

I like your forum Andy, I'll continue to pop in once in a while, but in Spike's defence, you were poping up in his forum 3 or more times a day trumpeting your forum and how much better it was. Even I found it annoying after a while. He has his agenda and you have yours and in the immortal words of that great philospher Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?" In your defence, it has to be hard to start something like this up and You should be congratulated on the continued improvements. But accept my congratulations here and don't look for them over there, OK?

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Well, at least I spoke the truth! :D

This forum, tractorforum.com is superior in layout and capability, but it lacks the heart of the people at this time. Once we win the heart of the tractor community, we will reign supreme'o!

In the words of JPJ's, "I have not yet begun to fight!"

Smiles! This place is better, now we just need to let people make it home!

Thanks for the commentary and honest critique. It is appreciated.

:)

Andy

·
Registered
361 Posts
I like this forum and I will continue to participate here BUT I will like it better when the bugs are worked out and it starts treating me equally in the services that the other forums I belong to give me. Asking for help here has went to deaf ears/er/blind-eyes. {Yawn}-->:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What help has gone on deaf ears?

I have worked very hard and spent a ton of $ to get this site started and to the point that it is now. I can assure you that ANY site, especially of this size and layout is extremely hard to develop and build without having a few initial "bugs". I can assure you that all of the other well-known forum sites have had their share of bugs, especially within the first 2 weeks of operation.

I know that it is a "work in progress" and a challenge for me personally at this point. That is why I continue to pour my time and energies so heavily at this time. You simply cannot compare this site, being around for just over 30 days to sites that have been around for years and years. It will take time, but mark my words, we will be the largest and most successful tractor forum site anywhere. I help start rcuniverse.com and now it is the largest rc site in the world --- with enough support and capital advertisers to hire several VPs, CTOs, and sponsorship staffs.

And yes, we had the same nay-sayers at that place also. So, I know how to manage and build these places --- it is a different crowd here --- but this is a different interest. I own tractors, I respect tractor and farm people, I understand them, I live part of their lives. I enjoy the fun of it all.

If you have felt like you have been ignored, please contact me personally --- [email protected] and I will take care of you RIGHT AWAY ---

Thanks! :D

Andy

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Since you asked about deaf ears...

First, I know this is TOTALLY not your fault and out of your control. Poor Greg is still waiting for an answer to his question on a JD170. I posted a question on a 316 and did get an answer 10 days later, by which time I had solved the problem by using an answer I got on another forum. With your small but growing membership, the advice and answers people are asking for are not being taken care of. It is frustrating as a member to post a question and not get an answer for days or weeks, when we are used to a much quicker responce time. I've copied the two examples I've quoted below. I believe that this is the problem alluded to above in this thread and attribute it to growing pains. But having an engine tore apart and waiting 10 days for an answer is frustrating from my point of view, I think you can agree. And poor Greg has been waiting longer than I did. I'm sure he has gone elsewhere for his answer and when he gets it, that will be where he will probably hang out. I'll hang around and contribute where I can to help those folks with questions, and I wish you continued success with this project. I hope I have given you a better understanding of some of our views on what we are looking for, and some of the frustrations that we are also dealing with. Keep up the good work.

Joe

GregC
Greg Cook

Gizmo, maybe you could help..
Getting a JD170 from the "bone yard" at our local JD dealer. Any info you might have on the 170 would be appreciated. This is a restoration project for me.

Thanks

Greg

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

09-19-2003 11:01 PM

bontai Joe
Tractorforum.com Member

316 PTO clutch removal?
Hi Gizmo!
I'm putting a new motor in an old (1984) 316. How do I get the PTO clutch off the old motor? It's too expensive a part for me to just start prying and hammering on. I have the service manual, but it is very vague as to the removal. I have all the nuts off but nothing is sliding off. Anything you can do to help me out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

09-20-2003 08:22 PM

Chipmaker
Tractorforum.com Member

Normally they slide right off the crank end, however on a tractor that age and odds are its never been off, the clutch inner bore section is froze on the crank. Try some penetrating oil and lightly tapping the center section next to the crank with a brass drift, just to sort of help break up any corrosion and rust. IIRC I had to use a puller to remove the clutch on my 317, as it too was froze (rusted / corroded) on the crankshaft stub end.

10-01-2003 09:27 PM

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
What are you talking about?

bontai Joe
GregC got 2 answers to his question Chipmaker answer on the 9/20/03 and treed answer on 9/22/03:confused: Sure he didn't get 30 different posts on everything else and how it a piece of junk trying to get people riled up. But this forum is new and people need to post i see people on here all the time but they wont post. So people please post don't just lurk in the dark bring it to the light.:D
Jody

·
Registered
46 Posts
FWIW,
I have no idea how to work on a JD170. I don't even know what one looks like. But if I did, I would have answered his question. The key is to get more members that own a variety of equipment. Someone may be able to help then.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good line of communication!

I really like the good lines of communication going here. The moderators (if in place at the time) should have stepped up right away (same day) and responded with some kind of answer and tried to help you research the problem if nothing else. I really do thank you both for the great (if not slightly negative) feedback but at least it is honest and straight-forward. (thanks!)

I will research the issue and watch my mods. I recall on many other forums that I have successfully launched, there were a handful of mods that simply didn't take their roles seriously and were replaced by more attentive staff. After all it is not only what you know, but how often you can respond to the questions in your specific board.

So far, we have had some fabulous moderators -AND- members!
Let's see if we can improve on these early "delayed response" shortcomings which were hurting this wonderful site!

:)
Andy

·
Registered
207 Posts
I agree, I'll answer any question I can but I will not willing to give advise on topics I don't know the answer too. I've seen people on other forums give advise that was wrong because everybody wanted to get their two cents worth in. This forum with less than 300 members needs more. It will grow and be the BEST forum on the NET. Just wait and see. Thanks to everyone who works to make this Forum great. I really like the layout as it's easier to use and information will be stored where you'll be able to find it when you need it.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
I stand corrected as to Greg's post. :rolleyes: I did not catch that he had posted his question in another thread. And I don't mean to be negative, just trying to explain that the growing pains are being felt on both sides. I too and totally unfamiliar with the JD170 or I would have helped also. I also agree with a micks in that I try to stay out of topics I don't know or have no opinion on. If I can't pass on something correct or at least useful, I don't reply. On the positive side, I notice today it is a lot easier to navigate around. It will be a good forum and good luck with it.;)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Hey Andy:

Just wanted to let you know that I got a warning message from "SPIKE" saying that if I didn't stop mentioning your site that I would be banned from his site. I have been a member of garden web since 1998. I like your site much better.

I think that Spike is a pompous jerk. He can ban me if he wants, but I will just change my IP and keep annoying the crap out of him.

Enjoy and keep up the good work.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
HAHAHAHA

Threatening his own loyal members? Maybe when there are none left over there, he will realize the error of his step. I have not and will not ban him here. If he wants to speak, then I invite his reply. I unlike him am not threatened by people with opposing views.

Thanks for the insight into Spike's foolishness. I guess he must REALLY be scared or he wouldn't care if you posted or not. HAHA
At the end of the day, I am proud of this site and you guys. This is for you and about you.

What is becomes will be reflection of what we all make it.

Thanks.
Andy

1 - 20 of 57 Posts