Tractor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I'm retired and have lots of time on my hands. I love to work on old mowers, tractors, etc. Reently my neighbor bought an old Speedex 1631. We are going to work on it to get it running. It has a Briggs 16 hp horizontal engine. I would like to get some information on the old Briggs since it uses points. It's going to be fun working on it despite the heat in South Texas.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Vehicle Tire Tractor Motor vehicle

Vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Welcome to the forum........Nice project you have there........I would say that bobdriver, Fred from down under or a couple of others can help you out since they have a lot of small engine knowledge.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum........Nice project you have there........I would say that bobdriver, Fred from down under or a couple of others can help you out since they have a lot of small engine knowledge.....
[/Q
Thanks Pogobill.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Man, I like that tractor(Speedex "Spirit of America") ......:cool: That 16HP Briggs is as solid as a brick. That's the exact same engine on the 1968 Yazoo in my avatar.

One of the 1st things you need to know is that it has a LARGE Briggs Flojet, updraft carburetor. Really simple carb, but you have to understand how to take it apart correctly, or you'll damage it.

It has an "emulsion tube" in it. The emulsion tube has to be removed BEFORE you can separate the two carb halfs. It's a long brass tube screwed into the aluminum carb body and they can be a bear to remove without stripping out the slotted end of the emulsion tube. They made a small, medium, and large 2-piece Flo-jets. That 16HP takes the LARGE of course. Here's a link to a tutorial that tells you exactly how to take that Flo-jet apart.
Two Piece Flo-jet Tutorial

They also like to leak around the threads at the base of the emulsion tube. There's all kinds of information on-line about that leakage problem and how to fix it, but you have to know about the problem first.

I've learned the surest way to get a stubborn emulsion tube out is to take the entire carburetor and put it a pot of boiling water for 3-5 minutes. You'll need gloves to handle it when you take it out, but the heat usually expands the aluminum body enough that the brass tube will screw lose without damage. It's really tough to get it out without damaging it with just any screwdriver. The screwdriver shaft not only has to be skinny enough to fit the hole, but the blade tip has to be thick enough to fit tightly in the brass slot or you'll strip it. A Briggs # 19062 (Big Jet) screwdriver is what you really need
Briggs 19062 Jet Screwdriver $11

The last piece is not to fret if you damage the emulsion tube trying to remove it. They still make overhaul kits and the emulsion tube is part of the kit, they also make the entire carburetor as a last option and they are relatively cheap for a vintage engine that size

Large Briggs Flo-jet Rebuild Kit $11

Large Briggs Flo-jet Replacement $37

Once you get it running right and it's time for "Paint & Purdy"...... Here's your decal set

1631 Speedex Decal Set $32

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bob Driver. What a wealth of information! Aside from the heat in South Texas, things are going well with the work on the Speedex. Took of the carb and looking for a rebuilt kit. I'll try the one from ISave Tractors. Also looking to replace the starter drive assembly. Plastic gear and helix are worn. But hey, it's an old tractor, what do you expect.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Thanks Bob Driver. What a wealth of information! Aside from the heat in South Texas, things are going well with the work on the Speedex. Took of the carb and looking for a rebuilt kit. I'll try the one from ISave Tractors. Also looking to replace the starter drive assembly. Plastic gear and helix are worn. But hey, it's an old tractor, what do you expect.
I believe it's a 16-tooth..... If that's the case, it's a Briggs # 497606
White Gear Circle Gas Serveware

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everybody. I'm retired and have lots of time on my hands. I love to work on old mowers, tractors, etc. Reently my neighbor bought an old Speedex 1631. We are going to work on it to get it running. It has a Briggs 16 hp horizontal engine. I would like to get some information on the old Briggs since it uses points. It's going to be fun working on it despite the heat in South Texas. View attachment 79280
View attachment 79279
View attachment 79282
View attachment 79281
good idea
I am also a fan of tractors
Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts