Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Rock Grower
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again all,
1969 Ford 4000.

The last 2 times I used it it started to sound like one of the 3 cylinders went missing.
The 1st time I only ran it for a short time after it started to sound like a missing cylinder.

The next time I started it, it sounded fine, in fact I forgot about the sound till it did it again. But I wanted to finish the drive way so i kept going and figured it would either die or blow up so I kept going and it went back to sounding normal.

I did have a hard time starting it both times, but the 1st time it was not ran for a couple of weeks so I assumed it didn't want to start due to sitting. The next day was the second time and it didn't want to start.

Not sure if they could be related or not.

I recently changed the injectors, fuel lines, fuel filters, checked compression, and it ran great for around 20 hours then this.

I haven't used it much but need to in the up coming days and am worried it may die.

Any ideas or suggestions on what could be causing it?
or what I should look out for so I can take care of it before it cost me more then it has already?:(

·
Rock Grower
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 4000 uses an undersized fuel filter that plugs easily, start there and be sure you have adequate fuel flow. If the fuel flow is good, check engine valve clearance. Check injection pump timing. Here is a handy chart on the timing, scroll down to page 13: http://www.ntractorclub.com/manuals/service-troubleshooting/Ford Tractor Service Specifications.pdf
The new fuel filter has less than 25 hours on it and the fuel gets filtered as I fill the tank.
But I will replace it since I have one extra filter and if that's the issue then great.

Can the one I remove be reused at a later time if that's not the problem or because it gets wet I wont be able to reuse it?

Is there any thing you can think of that I should be on the look out for, to make sure I don't kill/blow up/ do permanent damage to the tractor?

I'm doing every thing we thank of and it all checks out,maybe i'm being paranoid.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
You can check the gravity flow of the fuel at the line after the filter(s), saves replacement if it is flowing well. Also check the flow at the valve at the bottom of the fuel tank. That valve has a screen at the top that requires periodic cleaning. The tank is emptied and the valve removed to access that screen.

The return lines from the injectors also must be in good condition and connected to the tank and the banjo at the injection pump.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Howdy OMF, How are you doing today??

Did you ever check the small filter in the inlet of the CAV injection pump? See item #8 on the attached parts diagram. Clean the pump and surrounding area meticulously if you decide to go for it. One little spec of dirt in that pump could be big problem.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts