Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
john-in-ga
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I’d take a minute and summit some positive feed back about this site. I’ve been monitoring the festivities here almost from the site’s very beginning. From the get-go I was impressed with the way this site is set up and the features included, some of which I’m still discovering. Seems Andy is trying to set up a site that can accommodate most everyone with no one banned and no one censored. Up to now, what has gone on calls to mind what it must have been like in the old wild west days; where everything was wide open with no holds barred. While I think one or two people may have been banned and maybe a censure or two executed, it was only after someone carried something to such an extreme that even an old wild west town couldn’t have tolerated their antics anymore.

Being a novice on the Internet, I’m still very much behind the learning curve. It is the Wild West atmosphere that has led me to feel free to experiment here. The learning experience, the getting a feel of communicating with strangers on a bulletin board, and the fun I’ve had has been more than worth the $20 voluntary donation.

I spend much more time on this site than on the local paper which: cost more, has less content, allows only one way communication, contains more advertisements than news, and only comes once each weekday. I doubt I could get the editor to answer a technical question about his paper even if I was holding his printer’s devil captive. (I ask a question here once and Andy himself answered, it seemed, even before I hit the Send New Thread button.)

In the beginning much of the content of this site was about a site some character called Spike ran, or the things Spike did. I’m glad that sort of thing seems to have about ran it’s course and this board is beginning to go it’s own way, leaving Spike and his site to do the same.

While I’ve used the Wild West analogy, I hope it doesn’t cause any new comers to be shy about posting here. I know one can get the feeling that everybody knows everybody and we all came here from Spike’s site already knowing each other, therefore, prone to shoot strangers. This is not true. I, for one, was never a member of Spike’s bunch, nor do I know any of the folks here from reading The Garden Web Site. Besides, the only shooting done here is with blanks or maybe an arrow or two, so, no one has actually been killed stone cold dead. Well, not yet, as far as I know. The diversity and the feeling of having to elbow your way onboard is part of what makes posting here such an exhilarating experience. I would encourage anyone who hasn’t tried it to do so at their first opportunity.

:cpu:

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Very well said John we try and welcome all and would like to hear from all. Andy has built a great site where freedom of speech is welcome. And its growing very well for being a young site coming up on its one year anniversary September 15. So lets hear from all you new and old members on your tractors or what ever you want to talk about were all here to listen and reply.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Wo0+!!

Another convert. Well said & right on the money.

·
Registered
69 Posts
John-in-GA echoes my sentiments exactly. I've lurked on a few other sites and forums before (not GW!) but never felt comfortable about posting or even sticking around. I've only been around this forum about 2 months now, but checking in has almost become an addiction!!:D :D

Not only does Andy deserve credit for building a wonderful site, but everyone who contributes gets a hand from me for creating a great atmosphere. It's just about as good as shootin' the breeze over the fence with the neighbor and a couple of cold ones.:cheers: :cheers:

Thanks to all!!

waynl

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Thanks John and everyone who responded to this thread. I have had the chance to speak to a number of you offline about this site over the last ten months and tried to always use my best judgement when possible. Certainly I have made my share of mistakes, but I think overall we have done quite well thus far! (I am sure MUCH better than others would have ever thought possible) When I first laid out the plans for this site, I had no idea what would eventually develop from the raw materials. Akin to a developer who clears out the land, establishes the foundation and structure --- that was my goal here for TF.COM --- To not dictate what the neighborhood was going to look, sound, and feel like (there were TOO many Smallvilles out there already) but to allow the people who decided to move in --- decide how their town was going to develop.

Of course a steady pulse on the entrance gate and a watchful eye for derelicts, vandals and sincere troublemakers has certainly helped, but diversity is a key ingredient in the success of this forum, IMHO. I am honored to have the opportunity to establish something that is considered the least bit helpful, worthy and important as some of you make this place sound.

It is only through the dedication, support, & activity of the fine members and moderators here that this forum has become anything of what it is today. Here's to a great first year (coming around on September 15th) and best wishes for all the best in 2005 and beyond. See you at the OK Corral ----- Thanks again John for the letter of appreciation --- it is truly appreciated. :D

:cheers:
Andy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts