Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finished the All-Stars tourneyment this weekend for my daughter in the 8-under division. It was a whole lot of fun and I really enjoyed the opportunity. It was hot as H*LL out there as on Saturday the heat index was 113F. (humidity was unbearable and moisture content SO high that eventually the sweat would stop being able to evaporate) - They had at least 5 girls drop that day due to the heat. I was darn close by the time I got done my 2nd game. They had a fair share of heat exhaustion, medical injuries and everything else out there. My girls were outclassed by softball teams sponsored by private companies, city budgets and who also play year-long with dozens of tourneyments. We competed well but just didn't have enough to win and rightfully so, some of those 8yr. girls were better than some adult softball teams. :D Amazing the winning bracketed team on Sunday had to play at least -7- games (1hr each) in one DAY! :D

In any case, it was great experience and something I was proud to be a part of. That game marks the last game I will pitch as a coach-pitch league as my daughter is moving up to 9-10s (which is player-softpitch) so that should be interesting.

In any case, it was a fun and long season but I am glad it is over. We won our Hammond area league with a 9-1 record so the girls are happy about that, but of course we wanted to do better in the Father's Day Tourneyment. Well there is always next year and as coach, I have 6 girls moving up to the next age group to coach --- so the joy continues! :D

So, maybe I can focus back here on posting and running the board now.... Arggh! It has been a long year for us all!
PLAY BALL!

Bye

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Congrats, Andy, to you and your girls on what sounds like a successful and enjoyable season. :thumbsup:

I've experienced those heat indices a few times, and I agree it's brutal!

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Congrats on a fine season Andy. I spent many years coaching and travelling with my daughters fast pitch teams. I did the coach pitch thing. The last year I pitched the girls hit the ball too hard to be that close. I was lucky not to get decapitated or worse. We travelled all over the southeast mostly and midwest some. Played in NSA and/or ASA national tourneys most years.
I know what you mean about the sponsored teams. We scraped for every penny we got and these sponsored teams would pull up with their trailers, personal bats for each girl, team trainers, etc. and our girls would be in awe. We usually managed to stay in the game with 'em and win some.
It sure was a letdown when my daughter finished high school and went to college. I had a summer with no place to go and could actually use my vacation for something other than softball. She had some partial softball scholarship offers but she had the queen she-bitch on earth for a high school coach and decided she was done with ball for a while. Hutch

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, thanks for the responses.... Hutch, well it is still fun for now and the girls really enjoy the game. I try to walk the line of strict but fun coach. After all if it doesn't stay enjoyable (the whole thing --- the practice, the discipline, the games, etc) then they simply won't learn to adapt to life and that difficult challenging things can be fun! Next year I move up to slow pitch. I have been looking at a couple smaller machine to try out with my daughter in the "off season" ---- both by JUGS ---- One is the cheaper "Soft Toss" machine and the other is the "Lite Flite" pitching machine.

These are cheaper examples of "pitching machines" but I simply cannot justify spending over $1K for a pitch machine for an 8 year old. I was thinking if I got a decent machine I could use it for my daughter and my son (2 years old) for when he gets older and plays ball. (probably wont last that long though!!! HAHA)

Any experience with any of the machines? I know we used pro version JUGS machines in HS and college but nothing like that on the playground side of ball. All-in-all, I enjoyed being the coach and the team really surprised me with their love of the game and willingness to compete even when seemingly outclassed. I know all too well how bad coaching can lead to poor attitudes and even loss of love for the game. It is amazing how much impact and direct impression a coach has over a player and their feeling about the sport in which they play. After all sports aren't just about losing and winning games, it is about being active, being part of something greater than yourself and challenging yourself to grow.

So let's see where we land next year. It was indeed fun! :D

Andy

·
Registered
664 Posts
Congrats on the good season!

Although it may have been a lot of work, you're blessed that you can be that involved in your daughter's acivities.

I've still got two at home (2 &4) and I hope I'm able to be as involved with their extra-curricular activities when they get older.

Angel

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Andy, don't know anything about those machines. Our league had a Jugs machine but it was fast pitch.
The difference in our girls was amazing after HS ball was over every year and they'd start playing league and travelling. Holly's HS coach was so hateful, if a girl went 4 for 5 and had a stellar game in the field she'd still get ripped for the one at bat she didn't get a hit. They won many games by the 10 run rule but she would take the whole team into the outfield after the game and berate them for 15 -20 minutes. My daughter was one of the top players and started every game for four years. One day after a game in Holly's senior year the coach said "good game" to her. Holly told me that was the first positive thing the coach had said to her in four years. This was a great team and went to state every year. When summer ball would start these girls would play with their heads up and smiles on their faces. Oh well, enough rant from me. Congrats on your fine season and good luck next year. Hutch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts