Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These AH-64 Apaches are the result of a group of Apaches from the CAV unexpectedly encountering an Iraqi military ground unit. They ended up slugging it out in close quarters toe to toe and these pictures show the results. Incredibly, NONE of the American pilots were killed. They actually flew these aircraft away from the fire fight in this condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Almost nothing left but the wing spar and leading edge here. FYI, each rotor blade cost about $110,000. 4 per helicopter.

Attachments

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
What is all over the blades in the first picture is that Palm trees.:eek:mg:
Jody

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An unexploded armor piercing 23mm cannon shell dug out of one of the aircraft. These guys are crazy holding something like this in their hands.

Attachments

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Originally posted by Chief
Jody, are you referring to the shreaded fabric and material hanging from the blades?
:ditto: That first picture it looks like he got into a palm tree.
Jody

·
674 Posts
After seeing those pictures, regardless of what you feel about the war, you have to admit we have some brave men in our military who are risking their lives every day for their country.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jody, what you are looking at is disbonded Kevlar cloth/fiberglass/hysol composite which has been shattered by rounds and projectiles blowing the rotor blade apart. Basically, what is left of the blade is the titanium rotor blade spar.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I don't see how that one was still flying it must have been making a heck of alot of noise.
Jody

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought this would give you guys something to take notice of and be proud of. Makes my heart swell with pride everytime I look at these pictures.

Does this make up for the MFP'ing Jody??????:winky:

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Originally posted by Chief

Does this make up for the MFP'ing Jody??????:winky:
Who me::smiles: Argee is the King:worthy: :worthy: Im just a MFPIT. :lmao: :lmao:
Jody

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, the noise and vibrations in a scenario like this are terrify, but when someone is firing your ass up; you don't have time to even think about it. I was involved in an incident where two UH-60's taxi'd too close to each other and the rotor blades collided . The resulting imbalance in the rotor system shook the aircraft so violently that I could not stay in my seat much less keep my hands on the flight controls. It was all I could do the get the engine power controls levers pulled off. You are talking about having an unbelievable amount of horsepower strapped to your ass. Both of these helicopter are powered by GE 701 C turboshaft engines which put out about 1,975 hp EACH.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I bet it was bad im glad they made it back ok and i know they where very happy.
Jody

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't see how that one was still flying it must have been making a heck of alot of noise.
Helicopters don't fly.................they club the air into submission. :buzz: :zoomin:

·
Registered
977 Posts
that took some skilled pilots to make it back with the rotors shot up that bad vibration must have been unbeleivable. cheif do you think the jesus nut would have been the least of their worrys on the post flight inspection?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts