Tractor Forum banner

15421 - 15440 of 15457 Posts

·
3,200 Posts
Scraped the drive a little closer with the 2025R this afternoon

:
HPIM3144.JPG

HPIM3143.JPG

Since the temperature made it up to 36* I put the tractor back in the unheated shed & the Gator back in the garage, gives me more room in the garage.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
QUESTION - I got power back, septic system back online and well house is up and running. I turned water back on to the house and looks like entire piping under house need replacing. I can’t tell if riser pipes that lead into home are broke too as water is pouring out everywhere. Of course all plumbing supplies are sold out...I mean the shelves look like the toilet paper racks.

I’m wondering if PEX pipe is something to use to replace the existing pvc/cpvc system? My home is pier and beam so water lines are suspended under the house. If I use pex, I would still need to connect it to pvc at the risers as they go into walls inside the house. I will start removing the new pipe insulation i added a month ago under house today...I need to decide what to use so I can cipher up a list of what I need.

I have buds who will be coming to help when I get supplies, but I want to make sure I have everything we need. It may be a few weeks before plumbing supplies are available though.
Yes, PEX will work. Living in TN prior the house was the same way with the pier and beam with the pipes suspended under the house. All was PEX and shark-bite system.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I always used copper in the past, but about a year ago I installed a new water heater using pex, and I can’t believe how quick and easy is was. Super easy to do repair work too because you don’t have to worry about a little trickle of water buggering up your solder joints.
I went from it taking over a week of fighting drips to install a dishwasher in my first house with old school pipes, to a complete redo in the next place with zero leaks using PEX. I used the copper band clamp fittings and a pocket adapter used in conjunction with vice grips.

·
Super Moderator
1,133 Posts
I went from it taking over a week of fighting drips to install a dishwasher in my first house with old school pipes, to a complete redo in the next place with zero leaks using PEX. I used the copper band clamp fittings and a pocket adapter used in conjunction with vice grips.
I use the SS pex clamps with special pliers

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
3,822 Posts
Felt a gritty film on the tub tiles this morning after I checked the caulk to make sure it was curing. Washed the grout joints with CLR & a toothbrush, then wiped down the tiles with CLR & a scrub sponge. Still gritty. Went over every tile with a razor blade. Rinsed down the tile & dried it. I was going to apply some grout sealer, but on closer inspection, the grout needs to be redone. I have the tools, just need to buy some grout. Not this week, folks.

Customer dropped off a set of new paddles for his Ariens snowblower. Should be able to get those installed tomorrow. Still waiting for paddles for my Toro.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tractor Forum mobile app

·
Master Tractor Tinkerer
3,822 Posts
That is your first tile job? You got it right the first time! Looks great, you're hired!
Thanks, Joe. My 2nd tile job was a fireplace hearth. It turned out great. For that job, I actually bought a wet saw. On the tub tiles I used a 7 1/4" masonry blade on a circular saw. Chipped a couple tiles. Wish I would have bought the wet saw sooner.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tractor Forum mobile app

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Pic 1 - need to get some material in for some of the pathways used by cows as it’s turned to slop. Was no fun getting calves penned up yesterday, but got it done. A guy is making a 3 hour drive to buy 2 heifer calves.
Pic 2 - Horrible site at friend’s nephew place in west Texas. These are all young Axis that died in the freeze. My brother is headed out to his place this weekend...hope this isn’t what he finds. A friend went above and beyond going out to his place daily and breaking up ice with concrete breaker bar and sledge so cows and other animals had water. Also dumped available hay, alfalfa, protein and mineral.

View attachment 71249
Since those deer were essentially flash frozen, is the meat salvageable? It is a crying shame to see that many deer and probably big numbers of cattle and other animals frozen to death.

Reactions: Clifford B.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Since those deer were essentially flash frozen, is the meat salvageable? It is a crying shame to see that many deer and probably big numbers of cattle and other animals frozen to death.
Expect meat prices to jump considerably in the next few weeks.

Fuel prices too as the refineries were down. Our prices have jumped 60-cents.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Yeah, I saw an article recently that predicted $4 gasoline in the near future.

·
234 Posts
Pic 1 - need to get some material in for some of the pathways used by cows as it’s turned to slop. Was no fun getting calves penned up yesterday, but got it done. A guy is making a 3 hour drive to buy 2 heifer calves.
Pic 2 - Horrible site at friend’s nephew place in west Texas. These are all young Axis that died in the freeze. My brother is headed out to his place this weekend...hope this isn’t what he finds. A friend went above and beyond going out to his place daily and breaking up ice with concrete breaker bar and sledge so cows and other animals had water. Also dumped available hay, alfalfa, protein and mineral.

QUESTION - I got power back, septic system back online and well house is up and running. I turned water back on to the house and looks like entire piping under house need replacing. I can’t tell if riser pipes that lead into home are broke too as water is pouring out everywhere. Of course all plumbing supplies are sold out...I mean the shelves look like the toilet paper racks.

I’m wondering if PEX pipe is something to use to replace the existing pvc/cpvc system? My home is pier and beam so water lines are suspended under the house. If I use pex, I would still need to connect it to pvc at the risers as they go into walls inside the house. I will start removing the new pipe insulation i added a month ago under house today...I need to decide what to use so I can cipher up a list of what I need.

I have buds who will be coming to help whenI get supplies, but I want to make sure I have everything we need. It may be a few weeks before plumbing supplies are available though. View attachment 71248
To bad about the deer, must have had quit a large population of them to haul that many away.

You pasture looks like ours get several times a year from freezing and thawing, or just excessive rain.
A few times a year we wonder if even the knee high muck boots will be tall enough.
We keep 3 pastures as winter feed lot fields that we know will have to be worked on and plowed and seeded every year.

Yes pex is a good plumbing solution either with the crimp fittings or the more expensive shark byte fittings.

·
234 Posts
Expect meat prices to jump considerably in the next few weeks.

Fuel prices too as the refineries were down. Our prices have jumped 60-cents.
No the meat in those deer would not be fit for consumption under normal circumstances,
they weren't bled out or gutted and cleaned before being froze.

Under most state and federal laws it couldn't even legally be used for dog food as it wasn't alive and on it's feet till being slaughtered.

·
234 Posts
Had to put new plow bolts in the cutting edges on my back blade, the heads had worn enough the blade was pulling off thru the holes.
Fourteen new 5/8" plow bolts installed after using the torch to remove the old ones.

new bolts.jpg
new bolts 2.jpg

new bolts 3.jpg

Of course cutting the bolts off with the torch when they hit the ice they melted through out of sight,
had to go magnet fishing to find the cut offs and large chunks of slag hope I got them all don't want to find them with a tire.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
No the meat in those deer would not be fit for consumption under normal circumstances,
they weren't bled out or gutted and cleaned before being froze.

Under most state and federal laws it couldn't even legally be used for dog food as it wasn't alive and on it's feet till being slaughtered.
I've butchered a couple of road killed deer back-in-the-day, but I saw them get hit so it was fresh. We threw away the damaged parts, because a Ford will tenderize a front shoulder just as little too much.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
No I used regular nuts and lock washers, thought about nylocks when I picked them up but didn't.
For Ag use, I quit using lock washers. They tend to fail over time. Unless you get the really thick ones and can torque then down enough. Lost too much fastener hardware out in the fields. Not having that anymore. Hardware for Ag equipment is pricey enough.

·
Super Moderator
1,133 Posts
Dang for some reason my pictures all double posted.
By default, the new site format puts your pics in at full size, so you don’t have to click that button anymore.

·
234 Posts
For Ag use, I quit using lock washers. They tend to fail over time. Unless you get the really thick ones and can torque then down enough. Lost too much fastener hardware out in the fields. Not having that anymore. Hardware for Ag equipment is pricey enough.
I expect these to loosen a bit once or twice and I'll hit them with the impact the next couple of times i use it.
Then I expect that those long exposed threads will get corroded up enough that they will never loosen.
Looking at that cutting edge it's only got about 3/4 of inch of wear left and it will be time for new ones.

15421 - 15440 of 15457 Posts