Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got off to a shakey start pulling a 24 inch log about 50 ft. long that I had cut out of a pile and limbed it. I put the choker cable around it, hooked up to my tractor, put her in 4WD and gradually took up the tension while I locked the differential. The log started to move readily and pulled fine for about 3 ft. and a big branch got hung up in the pile I was pulling it out of and all 4 tires dug in. A quick persuasion with the Stihl O-66 fixed that and I was able to pull it free. I was surprised how well the choker worked and how the tractor pulled a log that big (had about 1/2 a cord of wood in it) Just have to take it slow and easy and be real gentle about setting the differential lock. Sure makes cutting up tree in a pile easier. :thumbsup: :cowboy:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah! Got about 20 acres of logs left to do. My photo phazer software got corrupted and I will have to reinstall it but I will try to get some photo's.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Chief: This hasn't happened to me, yet, but my brother was dragging a log and the butt end of it fetched up and the log switched ends, coming through the air and almost smacking him and the tractor. Just a little more to think about. F.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely need to be real careful especially when pulling a log down hill or on a slope. Probably not an advise manuever. I just pull them far enough to get them pulled out of a log pile the loggers left behind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts