Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the building of my dreams is starting to come true. I had the site excavated in preparation of delivery of a 45x36 Morton building. The materials will be delivered in 2 weeks but the construction won't start for at least 4 weeks after that because thew crews are all backed up (darn slow economy ;) ) Anyway, the building site is at the high point on my property so the excavator had to basically flatten the top of a hill with 4' peak. About half of it had mix of persimmon and sassafras trees that the Cat handled with no problem. I took him about 6 hrs to clear the site and I think he did a very good job.

BTW, the building is embarassingly expensive so please don't ask how much. It's still less than a new 4wd pickup though so I don't fell too bad.

I'll post more pictures when the materials are delivered and contruction starts.

This is a picture at the beginning of the dig.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Thats going to be a big building so i know it wont be cheap. Congrats looks like they did good with the grading. Keep us posted on how the shop coming along.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Cat driver came highly recommended by the Morton rep. He was a real nice guy to boot. He used a laser level so it's dead flat in the middle and slightly sloped at the edges. Said he really enjoyed doing jobs like this as opposed to digging basements in the city.

The building is located at some remote property that I own that I use mainly for hunting and recreation. I plan on fixing up a small corner for sleeping quarters and the rest to store a tractor, ATVs, some lawn equipment and a bunch of junk cluttering up my garage at home. I hope to build a house up there when I retire so it may also be used store a truck and a car.

My original plans were to build something half that size but everyone told me to build it twice the size you think you need. My neighbor just finished a 40x50 and it looks pretty full already with two tractors, a truck, a wagon and some other equipment.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I am planing a 30x40 myself. Been pricing things out, so KNOW how steep the $$$$$ can be.:eek: :eek:

I would LOVE to go bigger then that, but a 30x40 fits perfect in the spot I want to put it. I know it will be full in a day:D . Looking foward to more pictures!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will pour concrete floor after building is erected. I also opted for 20' of porch on the side. Morton porches are expensive... oh well, only live once. Funny at one point I decide on a 30x45 with 45' porch, then I decided "heck with the porch", and deleted it and made the building 6' wider for near same price. Then I wanted the porch again so I added 20' of porch. If they don't build it soon, I'll probably extend the porch the full length again, then delete and make the building wider and start the process over again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The building arrived yesterday. Will be 4-6 weeks before construction starts. Had one scary moment when the tractor unloaded the palette with the steel siding/roof. He didn't have the load centered on the forks and almost tipped over. One of the back wheels was several feet off the ground. Yikes! Couldn't get the digital camera to power up quick enough to get a pitcure. Everything turned out OK though.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I only had to wait 2 weeks as they brought out a crew from ~200 miles away to put up the building. Only problem is we have had about 4" rain the past two days with more predicted. Ugh. We hadn't had any significant rain in about 3 weeks and it poured down within an hour of their arrival. The access road to my property is pretty poor after it rains so they're having to basically tow the F450 truck in with the tractor. After the next bout of rain I don't know if they'll be able to even get the tractor in. And the building site ground is so soft now that they don't know if they'll be able to move the trusses. The pics show all the progress after a day and a half. This was supposed to be an enjoyable week for me but I feel like I'm getting an ulcer.

Attachments

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Well jd332, you can't control the weather so there is no sense in fretting over it...they'll get the building done, it'll just take them a little longer.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
That sucks about the rain JD... does that cost you more for their time due to the delays??

dont worry man it WILL get built... eventually

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Doesn't cost me anything as long as they take their tiime and do a quality job. They might be under some pressure to finish by Friday as they are scheduled to go home by the weekend. The company pays for thier lodging and meal money so it starts eating into their profits if they don't finish on time. The building has a warantee so if I find anything wrong they'll be back to make it right. Still, it would have been fun to see the building sprout up out of the ground in 3 days like it was supposed to. On the bright side, the same line of storms spawned a possible small tornado about 30 miles south so things could be worse. I talked to the foreman tonight and he said the site drained well after the afternoon rain and they could raise the trusses in the morning and start hanging metal if the don't get the over night rain that they are predicting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Located just North of St. Louis... no rain last night or today (so far), so I expect the boys are making good progress. I decided to stay today to see if I was bringing bad luck.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts