Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Better 9/10ths and I are not strangers to rural living. When we married she came with 100 acres in Godley, TX where her family raised cattle (my first introduction to raising cattle). We ultimately ended up in GA where we bought 11 acres and we raised five head of black angus which turned to six when one of the cows delivered a healthy wee bull. Now, we are planning for our retirement and just completed the purchase of 100+/- acres in SEMO (near the boot heel) where we will finish out our days raising just enough cattle for personal (to include our kids and their significant others) consumption. Of course, we will also have chickens (layers and feeders), pigs and the annual harvest of the plentiful wild turkey, deer, black bear and hogs.

We have been asked by plenty of folks who wonder why Missouri. We lived there for about eight years while I worked for Charter/Spectrum and we loved everything about the state and the people. I am also a ham operator and I love the fact that I can reach both coasts pretty easy from the middle of the country, unlike the issues I have reaching the west coast today.

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
I can totally understand you settling in MO. It is far enough from New York and California to still be solidly in civilization. The cost of living is reasonable and life occurs at a somewhat slower pace than either coast. Sounds like you are well prepared and skilled for your retirement plans. Best wishes on your retirement.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can totally understand you settling in MO. It is far enough from New York and California to still be solidly in civilization. The cost of living is reasonable and life occurs at a somewhat slower pace than either coast. Sounds like you are well prepared and skilled for your retirement plans. Best wishes on your retirement.
Some of the exact reasons we discussed in making our choice of where to retire. The piece of land we bought has a small hill above the pond which is an ideal spot for the house. It is close to the power lines and from up there you can hear when someone gets off the pavement and on to the dirt road. We learned a long time ago that the adage which states, "I heard you comin' for a country mile," is absolutely true! God's Holy Bible in Matthew chapter 26, verse 52 states, “Then Jesus said to him, “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword". While I agree with that wholeheartedly, Matthew 12:29 states, "Or how can someone enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man?" From up on the hill I can be that man and keep the sword at bay!

That said, even the best laid plans of mice and men can go awry! John Steinbeck, by way of Robbie Burns

·
Registered
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910, Ford 555A, JD2210
513 Posts
I certainly wasn't ready for the separation, but in the end it worked out in my favor, so, thanks be to God! :)
Congrats on retirement. I retired from the Army 10 years ago. I was Active then Reserves. Total service 40 years, 29 days. 4 Deployments starting in Vietnam. 42 months downrange. Was Company First Sergeant for the last 20 years. Great career, no regrets.

I live in the northwest corner of the great State of Missouri. 😊

·
Registered
2021 Kioti DK6010SE HST Cab
17 Posts
Hmmm...never thought of Missouri for retirement. I'll have to look into that state.

Nice to see all the retired and/or active duty members on here. I am currently working for the Air Force as a CIV. I was never active duty only a CIV. I've worked for NASA, the Navy and now the Air Force. The DoAF is the best career choice I've made, switching over that is. I love my job and will finish out my career with the DoAF.

Take care.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hmmm...never thought of Missouri for retirement. I'll have to look into that state.

Nice to see all the retired and/or active duty members on here. I am currently working for the Air Force as a CIV. I was never active duty only a CIV. I've worked for NASA, the Navy and now the Air Force. The DoAF is the best career choice I've made, switching over that is. I love my job and will finish out my career with the DoAF.

Take care.
I worked 25 years as a Civil Service employee. Was the Facility Manager of the local Army Reserve Center. It was a dual status job, meaning I had to also be a member of the Reserves. Worked well for me. The military side retired me at age 60. The Civil Service side said I had to retire because of no longer having dual status. Didn't bother me a bit. I was burned out. Spent 3 of my last 5 years Deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. My whole "government" job started with getting Drafted into the Army in 1971. Never dreamed I'd make a career of it. I don't regret it at all. Had some very crappy times but wouldn't trade the experiences gained. I was an Infantry Squad Leader in Vietnam... :)

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We loved our 'feather merchants' when I was AD! They did a lot for us and that included continuity throughout the organizations! That said, I thank you for your service, too!

Mac USAF Ret

·
Registered
513 Posts
We loved our 'feather merchants' when I was AD! They did a lot for us and that included continuity throughout the organizations! That said, I thank you for your service, too!

Mac USAF Ret
Thank you Mac. And thanks for your service as well. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts