Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this while surfing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46565&item=3823896187&rd=1 and was wondering if putting that kind of vintage machine to work, vs. doing a restore and retiring it to parade duty and county fairs, is good or bad. What I mean is how many 1938s are there left, and is there a point in a tractor's life where it is foolish to risk breaking it from putting it to work?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I guess it would depend on parts availability? If the town owned that one chances are it was being used. The only problem I would have even if it was a concours restoration would be that I wouldn't be able to stop myself from using it. Not over working it, but occassionally using it to mow or pull a trailer. Might even be better for it to keep things moving. There are many old low mileage cars with leaky gaskets and seals.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Restore my foot, who wants to spend it’s life in a garage waiting
for a parade once a year. Rejuvenate the old girl and put her to work.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
amen

Originally posted by aegt5000
I'm with you on that one. I can't not use it if it is workable.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by aegt5000

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As a person that sees machines as art, I just cant stand to see a "trailer queen" The art is in the movment, and the work that it will do. I would rather see a worn out, worked to death hulk rusting in a field, then a nice shiny paint job, holding down the garage floor.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Originally posted by Ingersoll444
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As a person that sees machines as art, I just cant stand to see a "trailer queen" The art is in the movment, and the work that it will do. I would rather see a worn out, worked to death hulk rusting in a field, then a nice shiny paint job, holding down the garage floor.
Paul
I totally agree. To me the best looking are the slightly older restorations that show a little wear, whether it be cars, trucks, or tractors.

·
Registered
518 Posts
if it runs n goes put her 2 work :jumpropeb tht is kinda rare B model was frst full year thy were made i believe thy had waukesha motor in them mght be wrong tho mght bin in the ones frst built in late 1937

·
Registered
151 Posts
Find yourself an Allis with the orginal flat head motor in it, and you could probably name you price and get it. That's the real rare one.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
A friend of mine has a 49 Cub that looks and run good. He cuts 4 acres every week with it. I keep trying to get him to sell it to me but he wont.:D He paid $1200. for it about 5 years ago and it came with a set of disks a blade and the belly mower.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Considering 10000 38's were made, it's not rare. Considering the hack-job that's been done on it, it would cost more to put the right parts back on than to buy another.
Work it.
37's are the rare ones with the Waukesha engine.
OKtractor.com
JImD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts