Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after two years it is getting time to finly build the ramp for my shed. Now I have a bit of a step up to the shed floor. A good foot and a half plus, and it has to hold a bit of weight.[tractor 1000+, and me on it] I was giving some thought to making a kind of deck along that one side of the shed. Maybe two-three feet win the whole width. To that deck, I would then make a real strong ramp on the door end of the deck. Now one end of the deck I would bolt to the side of the shed, but I am a bit stumped over the other side. The shed is just sitting on blocks. Now should I just set the other side of the deck on blocks also, or set it on posts in the ground, like you would a house deck? Also anyone have any ideas for a REAL strong ramp? I have a few ideas floting around my head, but would like to hear what thoughts you all have for me. Remember 1000+ lbs, maybe eaven 1500, with me, tractor, tiller, and weight.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Paul

One thing I noticed is that, you are using the blocks the wrong way. They are going to fail, only 1/3 the strength the way you have them. Solid patio blocks under and over them is much better.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
nice looking shed paul... one problem i had was the lip from the ramp to the shed... make sure its not too high or you may have probvlems climbing it in the winter/ice...

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slip, ya I noticed that already. Changed some around already.[a REAL PITA!!]

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Made of pressure treated lumber.There is a 2x6 nailed across the bottom and then 3 stringers nailed to that with 3/4'' plywood on top.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks nice. I am not a fan of ply out in the open, but the stringers, with some deck boards would probably do the trick.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Yes I thought about the deck boards also.I have seen them done that way.I had the ply wood and it is pressure treated so I went this way.I also used Thompsons water seal on the complete thing and will do that every year.With the slope water runs off and it drys fast.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
I use a piece of steel cat walk grating for my ramp.
Jody

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by jodyand
I use a piece of steel cat walk grating for my ramp.
Jody
No slipping on THAT I bet.Thats is an idea. Any problem with rust?

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
No its galvanize so it isnt rusting.
Jody

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Argee
Paul,
Is that a gas meter at the right end of your shed????
You know I loked, and looked, and wonderd "What the heck is he looking at?"

Then I saw it. I thought of the big gas meater we have at work and it hit me.

Oh BTW. That would be a chair:D :D

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Originally posted by johndeere
Jody is that a permanent ramp you have?Sound like a good idea.How did you attach it to the shed?
No what i did was bolt a 2x4 to the bottom of the door and the grating lays on top so i can lift it and weed eat under it. I will post some pictures tomorrow.
Jody

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I was going to suggest a sheet of either 1/4" steel or aluminum diamond tread with some angle or channel iron stringers undernieth for added strength. It would be strong but may cost more than you are considering.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Chief
I was going to suggest a sheet of either 1/4" steel or aluminum diamond tread with some angle or channel iron stringers undernieth for added strength. It would be strong but may cost more than you are considering.
lol Ya I guess I have shown myself as being a little cheap huh.:D :D

I was thinking of the diamond plate when the expanded steel idea came up, but don't think it would work well. In the winter it would just ice up, and be REAL slick. hmmmmm I HAVE the angle though????? Got to work on that one................

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Argee
Now that I looked harder at it, I guess it is a chair.....ooooops, I need to go clean my glasses.

Na, don;t worry about it. Just blame my camra.:D :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts