Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't forget to keep a few on hand! Broke a shear pin (bolt) on my craftsman 46" blower today. Used the last one I had to replace it. I'll need to pick up some more. I thought it might be a good time to remind everyone else to do the same. Another thing would be to coat them with grease before installing them. This one was stuck pretty good. I finally drilled it out!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I broke one on the Honda today also. Luckily I bought a few last year. Sure would like to find another source though. Don't remember what the price was, but I know they were a little on the expensive side at the dealer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My 3pt blower uses two differen't size sheer bolts. I broke one today while plowing. First time in 2 years. I got 2 in my jacket and 8 more in the tool box of the tractor.

Could you believe that a news paper could jam a fan and break a sheer bolt. I didn't think so. I figured the toy truck I hit in one customer's driveway would have.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Originally posted by itsgottobegreen

I figured the toy truck I hit in one customer's driveway would have.
I could picture it now, the little kid crying and all red faced because his toy got chomped to bits.....:furious:

Ducati

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I replaced my first a month or so ago. What did I hit? nothing. I was pulling the bolt to lube the shaft, and it was so rusted it snapped.:D I have to get more though. The unit came with two, and with using that one, I am down to one. My Mom's uses the same size, and if I got any for her, they would get lost, so I think I will get a handfull, and keep them in my tool box, for bolth of us.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
sixchows…

I had the 2 extra shear pins that came with the Sears 46”
blower put safely away if I needed them. But after I read
your post I started thinking about the 24” MTD walk behind
After a 45 min. search, they were nowhere to be found.
So today I ordered some for the walk behind.

BTW, with regard to frozen shear pins, while looking through
the MTD booklet for the pin part numbers, I ran across a
paragraph that tells you to remove, lubricate and reinstall
the shear pins at the end of every season.

Thanks, if it weren’t for your post I would have completely
forgotten about the MTD pins, and never oiled the pins at
season’s end.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Originally posted by aegt5000
BTW, with regard to frozen shear pins, while looking through
the MTD booklet for the pin part numbers, I ran across a
paragraph that tells you to remove, lubricate and reinstall
the shear pins at the end of every season.

Thanks, if it weren’t for your post I would have completely
forgotten about the MTD pins, and never oiled the pins at
season’s end.

Thats what I was doing when mine broke. All the years I have had this I have done NOTHING, but one or two oil changes to it. REALY just hammerd it into the ground. So this year I went through the book, and did it all. Works good also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts