Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I got a call to go look at a problem .This fella bought a house in a residential neighborhood. The house had been vacant for over a year.Coming from the basement was an extremely strong oder of sewer gas.The man was in the process of getting the utilities turned on and the Electric company had come over and turned him down for service because they smelled the stench coming from the basement. The solution was simple, run water into the sewer. From not being used the trap on the line going to the sewer system had dried out and allowed sewer gas to back up into the house.The potential for explosion is great when dealing with sewer gas because it contains methane,a gas that can kill even if it does not explode.Just a reminder,if you are going away for any amount of time, have whoever is taking care of your house run water into the drains to keep the traps full.With no water in the traps you also create a highway for insects and rodents.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
slipshod

I know what you mean i did plumbing about 20 years ago and we had been in a lot of houses that has been sitting a long time.
Jody:usa:

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Very interesting story here ---- BTW, slipshod you are doing a fabulous job here on this forum ---- Keep up the good work!
Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts