Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek: OK, got kind of a dumb question for ya's. Just got a couple of N series Fords, I know they are either 9Ns or 2Ns because they both have 3 sp trannys, but where do I find the ser#. The only numbers I see on the tag under the steering wheel are pattent numbers. Is that where the ser# is supposed to be, is it marked any where else also?

Thanks for the help guys.:D

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
The only numbers on the tractor is on the motor its self. On the left side of the block, right below the head about halfway back you will see a cast in pad. Somewere under the rust, grease,paint, and crud will be a number hiding. Good luck, I STILL have not got the number on mine to come out of hiding.:D

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THanks Paul! I did manage to find the numbers, one is 9N 28252, the other, 9N then mangled by a BAD weld job to repair a broken block.:rolleyes:

So, does that mean they are both 9Ns, or did the later Ns start with the 9N prefix too? ( Take it easy on me, I'm just a Farmaller:D )

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
not posative, and I could be wrong, but I think all front mount dist motors started with 9N. Agean not pos, and maybe if the wether holds I will try to check my early 8.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Parts man all 9N and 2N tractors ser. numbers begin with 9N. Your tractor number 9N 28252 was built in 1940. It should have I beam radius supports for the front axle. Are you going to part it out? if so and if it has a good healthy spark plug wire tube I sure would like to buy it I have looked from H to Harlem for one. If you need info I have service manual and owners manual and there my kind of toy! Harry

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Harry, thank you for the info!! It does indeed have the I beam radius rods, and thank you for the manual information. Are the manuals ones that you use , or have for sale??

We are parting both tractors out, and I will PM you with further information.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Parts man I should have told you last night 9N was made from 1939 in to 1943 2N was made from 1942 until 1947 there is no real difference between a 9N and a2N just when they were made.8N was made from 1947 until 1952 8N is a lot different than the 9-2N rear axle is different radus struts will not change. the 8N has two or three more horse power same engine higher compression.The side mount distributor came on the last end.
Harry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts