Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question related to a septic system. Do I use RID-X (or something like it) or nothing... please include the rationale to your answer.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
ive used ridx a few times not every month like they say..... no real rationale, just one of those things.. i figure cheaper to use the ridX than redo the leach field/septic

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
There are 2 basic types of septic systems. One with forced air pump system (aerobic) and one simply without (anaerobic) ---- An aeration type of septic system, is where oxygen is provided to the waste,
since aerobic bacteria (use oxygen) break down waste much faster than
anaerobic bacteria (don't use oxygen) do. Rid X or any other bacterial
additive for septic systems is freeze dried anaerobic bacteria, putting this
into a aerated system don't make any sense at all, since it is the wrong type
of bacteria, also if you were low on bacteria in your system it would have
already backed up into your house.

The purpose of the septic tank is to keep solids, fats and grease from entering the drainfield. The tank provides, utilizing the extending residence time of the effluent in the tank provided by the tank’s size, an environment for bacteria to breakdown organic solids to liquid and gas, leaving only those solids which won’t breakdown to settle out as sludge or rise to the surface as scum. Between these two solid layers is a relatively clear zone. Effluent from this clear zone is drawn to the drainfield by way of the outlet tee. Realizing that there will always be solids that are not broken down, every functioning septic tank will have to be pumped eventually. To say otherwise is not true. The rate of pumping is determined by individual use. We recommend each system be inspected to determine the need for pumping. Some enzymes and other additives can act as flocculents that resuspend solids that have settled, causing those solids to be carried over into the drainfield. This of course moves the problem from the septic tank to the drainfield where it is much more costly to remedy.

Ridex is processed from sewage sludge. If you do want to add something to your septic tank to help break down the waste that are in there, I would suggest a enzyme additive that breaks complex waste into smaller particles that the existing bacteria in your tank can disgest.

No miracle cures --- take good care of your system and get it pumped before it causes more problems down the road.

HTH,
Andy

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Andy, you seem to be quite informed on the "Nutrient Residue Processing System" otherwise known as the "Turd Pool". :cowboy: :idea: :clown: You are right on the mark.

I use Ridex every month. No way I can scientificly judge if it helps or not but I figure it might help and provide some cheap insuranc. I had our septic tank pumped out about 4 1/2 years ago. Probably about time to give her the ole' pumpin' again. A word of caution for you who use condoms and are easily embarrassed...............DON'T flush them down the toilet ehhhhh:question: :question: :question: Will provide MANY opportunities for the pump out guys to share hilarious and manly comments about your sex life with you!!!!:cowboy: :idea: :pig: :lmao: :furious:

On a more serious note, NEVER flush ANY bleach, or other sanitizing chemicals down the porcelin thrown; this wreaks havoc with the little beasties in the septic tank. NEVER dump grease down the sink or large amounts of peelings/etc. through the garbage disposal grinder.

There is an old rule about septic systems and flushing too much......... "If its yellow, let it mellow.......if its brown, flush it down!"

I can report to you that it is NO FUN when the septic sytem goes on strike and backs up into the basement. Ask me how I know? ;) :D

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Great advice, Randy. Don't know anything about the condom story --- must be a good bar story I guess. :D

Actually we did a test in college on Lysol, bleach, and few other solvents --- if I remember correctly --- tank completely soaked took 60 hrs. to recover from Lysol,
40 hrs. from direct bleach and 30 for lesser chemicals. In ALL cases, the tanks recovered completely. A TESTIMONY to the reliability of good ole' fashioned bacteria!
But definately do not do this on a regular basis ---- or ever if possible.

Well, how fun...Discussing smoothies one day and septic coated condoms on the next. Could I have a smoothie with one on top? :D

HAHAHAHA :homereat:

·
Registered
97 Posts
We are just about to install a mechanical septic system as part of new construction. The excavator that's doing the system put in the contract that we must consume a large batch of chili at least once every 2 months. I'm not sure why?? army Just kidding.

One thing that is apparently new (and has not been mentioned above), is that for us they are installing a 100' drain field specifically for the water softener discharge.

This means that our water softener salt won't be discharged into the septic system and our septic system will do it's job much better without having to battle the dampening effect caused by the salt discharge.

So, if you have a water softener and some time on your hands, you might want to explore doing this. New install, give it some thought. Check with your EPA people before listening to me.. :)

-Deere

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Almost forgot! If you live in a house FULL of women like I do. The Chief's rules are NO and I mean NONE of the "femine hygene" products go down the flusher either. They don't break down very well from what I understand. Nobody wants to listen to my bitchin' and complaining so there is good compliance here. ;) :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
!

Excellent point Chief! With a wife and three girls this is an important point in our home.

Most of us in my development have a Jet aeration system. The aerator runs 24/7. ON OF THE MOST DESTRUCTIVE elements to our systems is human hair. The long hairs wrap around the aerator shaft and cause it to bind up and eventally burn out. They can actually shear the shaft as well. After replacing two aerator units in 5 years (at $275 each), I now check the aerator every few months and cut the hair away that wraps around the shaft.

While I am glad to have city water and no well, I really wish I had sanitary sewers.The thought of someday (hopefully many years away) of replacing the system depresses me. Guess that is the price for a large lot.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You guys raise some really good points. I've heard that one of the worst things you can dump into the tank is a washing machine.

·
Registered
518 Posts
tool man wash water is worst for septic especially if you use powder wash soap for some reason it hurts system worse repaired a few n seen it forms saltlike crust on pipes heard of pple using tht rid x but never came across any systems tht have used it if u can seperate yer wash water from septic tht will help it plus not having trees around is a big help on a system thy r makin some home owners here put in a duel system wth a valve tht you turn prioodically 2 switch tween systems septic sysyems here are gettin complicated and costlly for home owners

·
Registered
518 Posts
i forgot micro bacteria work on septic 2 if you can get them cousin worked at local oil refinery n thy used them for eatin oil sludge n hed get them n put them in his septic ddnt have no probs believe or not worst thing on septic is over use of water nespecially if u have a house full lol :tractorsm

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
I have never used any additive in my septic system. A well working system should not require additives. A good way for the norther folks to tell if the system is working properly is to note if the snow is melted in the area of the tank, If it is, then your system is cookin' those turds and that's what you want.
Not saying ridex and others won't work, can't hurt I guess....it just seems like money down the drain....literally.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Sanitary Sewer

At my home we have city sewers,septic is not a problem. The farm house I own has a septic system that has been mostly trouble free, but only one person lives in the house.
I am doing the ground work to build at my 100 acre place in the hills.My site has been approved along with my waste recovery system. The system we are going to use is not the standard septic. This place is pristine and my goal is to not pollute the ground water as I am building near a spring source stream.
The system chosen is a Clivis Multrum composting recovery unit with two dry toilets and a gray water recovery unit. All Kitchen bath and wash water is cycled through this unit and aquatic plants are used to break down the soap and solids in it.
A lot of research has gone into this plan and in New York State they have grant money available. We have applied for it. At present we are waiting a site review from the D.E.C. as my plans include Hydroelectric, generatated with a Pelton Wheel system. Installing the system involves burying two six inch water collectors under the stream bed. A story for another thread.
Now back to the issue of human waste:
Many studies have been done and human waste accounts for most of the bacteria found in our water supplies in this country.
As strange as it may seem septic and sewage systems are a relatively new concept, Developed in the 1800's. There is a growing school of thought that it is not the most earth friendly thing we can do. The average American pollutes 40,000 gallons of water to float away 200 pounds of waste. With a dry compost system each person will generate approxinately ten pounds of useable, safe compost material per year, and not put any strain on the eco-system.
The start up costs compare favorably with the classic septic system, Coupled with the grey water recovery. Maintainance is minimal and the whole system is oderless, plus earth friendly.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Time Line

My goal is to be in my new place as I retire from the state. I have 30-44 months left to do depending on a few options. Work on the homestead is progressing slowly, as I keep a lot of irons in the fire. This home is going to be total GREEN.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
we have used a norweco system for 20 years now in our home and IT is a POS -- very much similar to a JET system - e now have it pumped out every 1-2 years -- as it drains out into the ditch at roadside[ where the county forced us to put it when we built] because neighbors complain about smell when it needs pumpout = cost me nearly 200$ every time now -- i wouldn't have a machanical system again as a gift - almost 9K$ to reowrk to normal lataresl now I won't do that -- POS aereator motors cost 450$ now -- I have gone thru 4 of them -- gotta add cholrine all the time and cleanout drain ends -- county sent me failed tets letters al the time for years we threatened to sue each other all the time - I finally got it to pass by forcing them to test when I said and dumped 10 times as much chlorine tabs directly into the last chahmber as called for -- neighbors complained about it for years -

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Apples and Oranges

Big l,
A Dry Composting system is not comperable to the system you had all the trouble with. Water is removed from the system, not used as a vehicle for biodegrading the waste. They are quite common in areas where there is a fragile eco-system or water is at a premium. Go to your search bar and type in "dry composting toilets" and you will find a lot of options and information on a different way of thinking about the problem.
Also a dry system is less mechanical then any other.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I was always told to make sure that you get them pumped every two or three years max (depending on how many live in the house). I let it go for 5 years when it was me and my wife and had no issues, but when the guy showed up to pump it, he said he had a heck of a lime getting the thicker stuff off the bottom. He did a good job. He even pumps water into the septic to clean/loosen the "stuff" off the bottom.

I was told that the RID X stuff is a waste of money as it doesn't really work at all.

That must have been a load!!!

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Well I had my unit pumped out today for the first time in 6 years and WOW what a mess this tank was. The waste was thick nearly all the way up to the top and the lines were very hefty packed and some clogged. Got all of the lines cleaned out, the tank completely emptied and the drain field lines checked and cleaned. I was so glad we got it done because I could easily tell it was simply a disaster waiting to happen.

Andy
:yum:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts