Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2016 TYM 554 With a 55 horse 4 cylinder Yanmar 4TNV86T-CR Engine. It has 380 hours on It. I put about 6 hours on it Over the past 2 weeks 2 days ago I started it took a scoop of gravel and drove about 200 Yards or so. I went from going forward to reverse as soon as I started going in reverse the engine rapidly idled down and stalled I thought it was a Fuel issue I tried to start it the starter clicked but the engine Wouldn't turn over. I Went through the electrical system tested the battery the ground The line to the starter I found no issues so I put A breaker bar On the Crankshaft And I Couldn't turn the motor over I pulled the glow plugs to relieve compression I still couldn't turn the motor over The Tractor had plenty of oil and coolant. The tractor wasn't even fully warmed up the coolant was Barely hot. I Drained the oil through a screen no signs of Metal I Cut the oil filter open no signs Of a problem I Dropped the oil Pan everything I could see looked fine. Any ideas on what the issue could be ? It has a 3 speed hydrostatic transmission is there anyway The transmission could be Stuck keeping the engine from turning over I don't know a lot about Hydrostatic transmissions could it be like a seized torque converter on a Automatic transmission ? Any ideas on what I should do next would be much appreciated or what the cause of my problems could be

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
Welcome to the forum JS. It really sounds unfortunate about your engine. I have a Yanmar TNV series engine myself and they are awesome engines. Someone here will surely be able to help you out, and I hope it's a cheap fix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stuck starter??? It happens....
I don't Think It's the starter That Wouldn't explain why it suddenly died unless they're 2 separate issues. I was thinking of taking the starter off But it's very hard to get to I think I would have to take my power steering lines off and my exhaust manifold off to remove the starter it's in a tough spot. It's the last thing that I can think to do Without getting into Tearing the engine apart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a neutral valve on the transmission that will allow you to effectively put the machine in neutral? I know some hydrostatic lawn mowers have a neutral valve. I'd hope a modern tractor does too
Tractor has a high low in medium gear like a manual shifter High is down into the right medium is down until left and low is up into the right there is effectively a neutro in between the high And the low If it's in that position in the tractors running and use press on the gas tractor doesn't go anywhere so it's like being neutral I won't start in that position but it Rolls freely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tractor has a high low in medium gear like a manual shifter High is down into the right medium is down until left and low is up into the right there is effectively a neutro in between the high And the low If it's in that position in the tractors running and use press on the gas tractor doesn't go anywhere so it's like being neutral I won't start in that position but it Rolls freely.
Sorry about that last post did not proof Read It

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it's pouring out this weekend I'm going to send an oil sample out for testing see that tells me anything and hopefully next weekend I will try pulling the starter and I will try telling it in gear see what that does. I will keep you updated on my progress thank you everyone for your suggestions there much appreciated

·
Registered
987 Posts
A hydrostatic transmission is basically a hydraulic pump tied to a hydraulic motor. I'm guessing the neutral just puts the motor or both in bypass, so the fact that it moved in neutral suggests the problem is in the pump or engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey I had this happen to my 1994 ram with 12v. All of a sudden it locked soild. Just happen to pull the belt off and it turned out to be the alternator melted soild. For the heck of things pull the belt off the motor so no engine attachments are restricting it and see if it turns over

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a 2016 TYM 554 With a 55 horse 4 cylinder Yanmar 4TNV86T-CR Engine. It has 380 hours on It. I put about 6 hours on it Over the past 2 weeks 2 days ago I started it took a scoop of gravel and drove about 200 Yards or so. I went from going forward to reverse as soon as I started going in reverse the engine rapidly idled down and stalled I thought it was a Fuel issue I tried to start it the starter clicked but the engine Wouldn't turn over. I Went through the electrical system tested the battery the ground The line to the starter I found no issues so I put A breaker bar On the Crankshaft And I Couldn't turn the motor over I pulled the glow plugs to relieve compression I still couldn't turn the motor over The Tractor had plenty of oil and coolant. The tractor wasn't even fully warmed up the coolant was Barely hot. I Drained the oil through a screen no signs of Metal I Cut the oil filter open no signs Of a problem I Dropped the oil Pan everything I could see looked fine. Any ideas on what the issue could be ? It has a 3 speed hydrostatic transmission is there anyway The transmission could be Stuck keeping the engine from turning over I don't know a lot about Hydrostatic transmissions could it be like a seized torque converter on a Automatic transmission ? Any ideas on what I should do next would be much appreciated or what the cause of my problems could be
Try pulling the engine belts off. My 1994 ram 12v locked soild it turned out to be the alternator melted

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a Kubota 3 cyl diesel (B7200) seize up on me soon after getting some maintenance done for me. I did not suspect simple things like coolant, but in my case that was it. I had sprung a small leak in a drainage hose, and it ran itself dry in a hurry. I felt dumb, but it happened. I suspected seizing, since it abruptly stopped, so I stopped trying to crank it. Anyway, your 200 yard of run seems like it would have coolant temp at least warming. I would investigate coolant flow. Maybe a drain and fill or flush with new. If it cranks when cool, that’s an indication that your lowest clearance rod or bearing was not getting coolant.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update I pulled the belt off the alternator It turns freely and the fan turns freely I pulled the starter I still couldn't turn over by hand I tried putting a pry bar on the fly wheel and I can just barely get It to turn I put the starter back in every time I crank the starter I can get the fan to turn about a 1/2 an Inch each crank So the motor will Kind of turn. I'm going to send the oil out for testing. now I'm leaning towards it being a hydraulic Pump issue. Or maybe rod bearing I don't know it will turn just has a ton of resistance. I just don't get it the hydraulic oil looks incredibly clean my drop the oil Pan there wasn't even a sledge in the bottom of it what I could see up in the engine Looks clean The tractor only has 350 hours on it what could possibly Have happened to be running great To dead with no warning. I'm getting really frustrated I think it's time to take it to somebody who knows what they're doing Thanks again everyone for all the advice

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.