1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

seafom

Discussion in 'Case / Farmall - International Harvester' started by pinball, Aug 22, 2017.

1. pinball

pinball New Member

Aug 22, 2017
    was reading an article here on the forum and they said they added seafoam to there gas tank. never heard of it. so what is it and where can you buy it . thanks

2. RC Wells

RC Wells Active Member

Dec 25, 2008
    SeaFoam is a fuel treatment that dissolves gum and old fuel deposits. WalMart carries the product, as do most auto parts stores.

jhngardner367 likes this.

3. pinball

pinball New Member

Aug 22, 2017
    ill will check Walmart for it. thanks norm

dozer966 likes this.
  4. jhngardner367

jhngardner367 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lonoke,Arkansas
    Question,RC Wells.
    I've used Seafoam,and it did well,...but have you heard of any bad results with it,...like too much ,or over use?
    I'm curious as to what would happen if a guy dumps a whole can into ,say a 1 and 1/2 gallon fuel tank , on his lawn tractor, thinking "if a little is good,...then a LOT is better".
    I can't even guess as to what would be too much !

Thomas likes this.
  5. ar_confederate

ar_confederate Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Actually I pretty much did that. It didn't hurt anything that I can tell but neither did it seem to do better than the recommended mixture.

40fordy and jhngardner367 like this.
  6. pYLON1357

pYLON1357 Member

Dec 2, 2016
    I was going to ask this exact question yesterday after reading the topic where this stuff was mentioned. I am a vehicle tech and have never heard of this stuff. I guess I really do live under a rock.

7. 40fordy

40fordy New Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Seafoam works as intended for cleaning out a gummy carb as you drive, used it in several mowers over the years.

8. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Active Member

Jan 25, 2015
    It can be purchased ALMOST anywhere now adays.. Walmart. Northern Tool.. ALL parts houses.. it works GREAT for gas & diesels..
    The outboard "marine guys" use it in their shops to de-carbon, outboard 2 stroke motors.. There is a utube video w/ a guy using it & a camera to decarbon his lawn mower engine.. he puts the cam down the spark plug hole to show how it works.. & IT DOES WORK..

9. pogobill

pogobill Registered User Staff Member

Jan 31, 2012
    I use it in most of my older / vintage gear. Works great as far as I can tell. It's sold pretty much anywhere I go, even at the gas pumps and hardware section of my local grocery store. As for over use, at $12 - $14 a can, I read and follow the instructions pretty closely. Don't want to be using way too much at that price!

10. thepumpguysc

Jan 25, 2015
    Yea, you GOTTA watch the price.. when it 1st came out SEVERAL YEARS ago.. it was 2.00 a can.. then it started to creep up.. THEN when it went to 2.65 at Northern, I called WM & theirs was 2.45.. WM was a block down the street so I went there.. lol
    I don't EVER recall seeing it at 12.00?? $4.00 MAYBE..
    At 4.00 a shot, I'll dump a pint in my 20 gal tank at the gas station before I fill up.. once every month..

11. dozer966

dozer966 Registered User

Dec 30, 2014
    Sudbury area
    Most small engin repair shops in my area use seafoam to soak carburetor for cleaning and overhaul. I use it as a gas stabiliser and put more for cleaning. I also read that it can be used as fuel deicer in winter. It also says you can use it in crankcase on 4 cycle engine but can't remember for what purpose.
    I have an older 20horse Mercury outboard that would always gum up over the winter no mater what fuel stabiliser I used. But the seafoam always kept it in check. I'm a strong believer in the product. A buddy of mine claim that it eats metal. He put it in his inboard/ outboard and said it eat the bottom of the carb. I think it already had pin holes and was plugged with gunk. I've been using the product for the past 5 or6 years with only positive results.

12. pogobill

pogobill Registered User Staff Member

Jan 31, 2012
    How much are you paying for it Dozer? I've only found the 473 ml can (16 oz) and it's pretty much $12.99 CND which could be pretty close to $4.00 US these days!!o_O

13. pinball

pinball New Member

Aug 22, 2017
    I found some at my wamarts but it was a spray can. was expecting liquid form. am I wrong.

14. dozer966

dozer966 Registered User

Dec 30, 2014
    Sudbury area
    12.99 at Canadian tire. It's a little costly but saves on agrivation.

15. dozer966

dozer966 Registered User

Dec 30, 2014
    Sudbury area
    0387800_1.jpg

Her is a picture of the can. It's a clear liquid.

16. thepumpguysc

Jan 25, 2015
    The liquid pour bottles go IN the fuel tank.. The spray cans are for spraying into carbs or engine cylinders w/ the plugs removed..
    & yes, it is a clear liquid..

17. willys55

willys55 Caractacus Potts Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2016
    John, it is just like when you put antigel in a diesel tank, the can says so much per gallon, but adding more does nothing else to the results....the same with the seafoam, so much per gallon is to be added, but adding more will not improve the mix

18. pYLON1357

pYLON1357 Member

Dec 2, 2016
    I recall in AFG one of our lads put a whole bottle of Diesel conditioner into the fuel tank of an M-Gator. ( at the time we didn't know he had done this) Created all sorts of fuel peculation problems. After the machine was warmed up, it would fall on its face and stall until it cooled down.

Since the original tech had left theatre, I had to figure out what the heck had happened to this machine to cause the running issues. It was not until I ran a remote fuel source that I figured out what he had done. The machine had originally come in for a hard start long crank issue. Which after much screwing about he finally determined it was a fuel quality issue.

19. willys55

willys55 Caractacus Potts Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2016
    just for reference, the diesel tanks I referred to were 100 gallon....my point was if it said 2 ounces and you put 4 ounces, it would not make the solution work any more than designed, with additives, more is not better.

20. pYLON1357

pYLON1357 Member

Dec 2, 2016
    I understand that. I just could not believe that a licences mechanic thought that using a full bottle (designed for 1000 gallons) was acceptable to put into a 5 gallon fuel tank.

As you stated, A little too much will not harm anything but will not help either.