Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I traded for a cool little Satoh Elk 550G a couple weeks ago. When I went and looked at it it started and ran fine. I got it home and drove it around my place for a few days with zero issues. The other day I went out to start it and it would not start. Battery is Great, I have Spark at the spark plugs and even when I put gas in the spark plug holes, it will not fire. I get nothing. I am thinking maybe timing but I am unsure and I dont want to tear this thing apart without a second opinion. Even if it were the timing, I am unsure how to adjust it. Any ideas? Thanks for any advice or responses.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I suggest you use a squirt can to squirt gas into the carb rather than into the cylinders. If the engine doesn't even make an attempt to fire a cylinder then it isn't a fuel problem.
If the starter seems like the engine is spinning over to easy then I suggest you pull the plugs and see if you have good compression.

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
Your tractor has a 1000cc Mazda engine for power and these engines as are all Mazda engines are very reliable, and I have had quite a few, if the timing has slipped as such, you will hear the valves hitting the tops of the pistons, if this is a OHV engine then the cam will be driven by gears from the crankshaft and if it is an OHC engine, then the camshaft will be chain driven so I think we can eliminate that, which leaves the distributor, the clamp bolt can come loose and the timing can either advance or retard, to check the timing there should be a timing mark on the front crankshaft pulley and on the engine a calibrated timing scale on the engine housing behind the pulley, ( a timing light would be handy for you to check the timing by cranking the engine) to get a rough idea about the timing, remove #1 spark plug and rotate the engine and with your thumb pressed into the plug opening until the pressure pushes against your thumb, this will give you the compression stroke for #1 cylinder, check and see where the mark on the pulley is in relation to the calibrations on the cover, bring the #1 piston to TDC and check the timing marks again, lift the distributor cover off the distributor and take notice where the rotor is pointing in relation to #1 plug wire on the distributor cap, if the rotor is pointing at #1 then the timing is ok.

I have tried to find engine timing specs for this tractor and it is near impossible to find anything, but 10 to 15° advance should get the engine running if the timing has shifted.

If it was me, I would pull the drain plug from the carby bowl and check for water or crud in the carby float bowl, the fact that the tractor was running with no problems before hand suggests something simple has happened, is the spark a good solid blue or a weak yellow ?.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your tractor has a 1000cc Mazda engine for power and these engines as are all Mazda engines are very reliable, and I have had quite a few, if the timing has slipped as such, you will hear the valves hitting the tops of the pistons, if this is a OHV engine then the cam will be driven by gears from the crankshaft and if it is an OHC engine, then the camshaft will be chain driven so I think we can eliminate that, which leaves the distributor, the clamp bolt can come loose and the timing can either advance or retard, to check the timing there should be a timing mark on the front crankshaft pulley and on the engine a calibrated timing scale on the engine housing behind the pulley, ( a timing light would be handy for you to check the timing by cranking the engine) to get a rough idea about the timing, remove #1 spark plug and rotate the engine and with your thumb pressed into the plug opening until the pressure pushes against your thumb, this will give you the compression stroke for #1 cylinder, check and see where the mark on the pulley is in relation to the calibrations on the cover, bring the #1 piston to TDC and check the timing marks again, lift the distributor cover off the distributor and take notice where the rotor is pointing in relation to #1 plug wire on the distributor cap, if the rotor is pointing at #1 then the timing is ok.

I have tried to find engine timing specs for this tractor and it is near impossible to find anything, but 10 to 15° advance should get the engine running if the timing has shifted.

If it was me, I would pull the drain plug from the carby bowl and check for water or crud in the carby float bowl, the fact that the tractor was running with no problems before hand suggests something simple has happened, is the spark a good solid blue or a weak yellow ?.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response, I will go out and check all these things at first light. I have spark but unsure if yellow or blue. I just grabbed the plug and turned it over.Felt a shock and let go. I will report back at some point tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
I still can't find any info on the Mazda 1000cc engine, but I do have some specs for the 1200cc engine which is the same as the 1000cc engine apart from an oversize bore, so if you want those for info you are welcome to them, I have scanned this info out of my workshop service bible from the 70's and this will give you a lot of info that can't be found.

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
Font Paper Document Rectangle Transparency
Handwriting Font Whiteboard Parallel Paper

Beelertank, I have had to scan the page in two parts, if these specs cover your engine, then save to desktop and print out, you can cut and shut the first two columns (1200cc engine) with the last column that has the firing and timing orders on the second scan, these being relevant to your engine.

I hope this will help you with checking your timing and getting the tractor up and running again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts