Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, while I know what it's for, Tranny fluid level, I can't seem to find any reference for the dip stick I have on 'Sally', my '40 9N Front SN: 9N13030.

The location for this dipstick is in the Tranny top cover and (sitting in the seat) 3" left of the starter button and 2.5" forward of the center of the Tranny filler plug (#8 in Fig. F04 on pg 12 of the FO-4 Ford Shop Manual). The hole in the Tranny Cover that it sits in is "factory" looking since it is raised / cast and shaped like all the rest of the bolt holes as well as the Tranny fill plug hole. it certainly was not bored after production.

The 12" dip stick only has simple level indicator markings --- "LOW| |⬅FULL . The top of the dipstick is a steel upside down cup and everything else looks like we all know it should be, however if there was a gripper knob above the very top of the steel overcup that is missing.

So, my first Ford N series Tranny fluid change coming up and I was really curious 'bout not being able to actually identify Sally's dipstick - ANYWHERE in the Ford FO-4 manual.

Oh, no dipstick in the inspection cover (Fig. FO3 pg 11) while the engine oil one is in the usual place.

- Joe -

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Well, in today's world, Sally can have a dipstick and still be a Sally. Or you could rename it "a boy named Sue"??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, in today's world, Sally can have a dipstick and still be a Sally. Or you could rename it "a boy named Sue"??
Thanks for the link, T

So if she has an oil AND a tranny dipstick - does that make her ........ wait .......... something about a billy goat ............................. Oh Man, don't confuse me like that. :~)

Life's short, spend time with the grand kids and laugh a lot.

- Joe -

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, does anyone have a 9N with a Tranny Fluid dipstick in the top of their Tranny Cover,
2.5 " forward of their Tranny's "Big 'ole Fill Plug? 🧿

Or, possibly am I the only one? 🎖

Could it be some sort of "repurposed" Tranny Cover with an "improved" dip stick from a later 9-2-8-N, replaced one dark and misty night in the fog filled long ago? 🥴

- Joe -

·
Super Moderator
9,410 Posts
Well I have an 8N, Don't recall there being a dipstick up front on top of the cover, just a filler plug.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts